Ultimate Ears unveils the new UE PRO 18+
Dec 19, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #19 of 34
  Wow. Just received my UE18's less than a week ago, and there is already an upgrade. This kind of sucks.

Well, the UE18 Pro is on the market for quite some time now, so seeing that there's a new model isn't that much surprising.

Even Etymotic Research who were making their ER•4 series for much longer time with mainly only cosmetic changes have released the line's successors earlier this year. :wink:

Dec 19, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #20 of 34

Well, the UE18 Pro is on the market for quite some time now, so seeing that there's a new model isn't that much surprising.

Even Etymotic Research who were making their ER•4 series for much longer time with mainly only cosmetic changes have released the line's successors earlier this year. :wink:

I wish I had your crystal ball; no one knew that they'd suddenly be releasing a new IEM (especially since they just had a sale on Massdrop, and UE is very sporadic in their releases; the fact that they hadn't changed the UE18 in years actually reassured me, and that's why I purchased them). It would have been nice had they actually given some advanced notice, and then launched the product. That way customers like me could have made a more informed decision. It's honestly that simple.

I know there isn't much of anything I can do now, but it still doesn't make a customer feel very secure or happy in their decision, even if the OG UE18's are still very good.

Dec 19, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #21 of 34
@ultramega

I can totally understand that you are a bit upset about that they released a new model out of the blue, as the same was the case for me when I just set up the expensive and T-Mobile-exclusive contract for my iPhone 3G back in the day (those contracts were way overpriced because at this time, the T-Mobile had the exclusive rights in Germany to sell iPhones and really took advantage of this situation) and the 3GS was released just less than a month later.

Situations like these are unpleasant of course, however they can happen anytime. While in they are quite predictable in the smartphone realm, they happen less often in the headphone and audio universe and are very hard to predict unless a certain manufacturer has got a well-known product cycle.

As I assume that you auditioned the UE18 Pro before you took the plunge, and are likely happy with how it sounds, I think you shouldn't be too upset, because it is quite unlikely that Ultimate Ears has now completely re-invented the wheel with the successor but has updated it in some areas (hopefully one of them is the midrange as I always found it the flaw of the original UE18 Pro when it comes to tonal balance).

Dec 19, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #23 of 34
I have demo the new UE Pro 18+ and to me its completely different to the old 18.

The sound from the 18+ is more like the UERR but with better bass, detail, separation, soundstage.

To me the 18+ is more of an upgrade for the UERR but better at everything it does especially the bass.

If I have known they would release a new 18+ with similar sound signature of a UERR I won't get the UERR

Its so annoying that I just got the UERR and the old 18 this year must resist not getting the 18+.

Dec 21, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #24 of 34
I wonder if anyone has done a study on what's the threshold at which more drivers no longer makes a difference. I love my ES60. I can't imaging having 12 more drivers on each side. I feel after 6-8 drivers, the main difference is more flexibility in tuning the sound signature. Gosh I do love to have a pair of these though :).

Dec 26, 2016 at 12:48 AM Post #29 of 34
  I wonder if anyone has done a study on what's the threshold at which more drivers no longer makes a difference. I love my ES60. I can't imaging having 12 more drivers on each side. I feel after 6-8 drivers, the main difference is more flexibility in tuning the sound signature. Gosh I do love to have a pair of these though :).

Well, the spiral ear SE5 Ultimate is regarded as the best CIEM currently available by many of the top reviewers/members. And it has 5 drivers per side. 

Feb 14, 2017 at 9:57 AM Post #30 of 34

I always thought multiple drivers for each crossover band was to improve efficiency and reduce distortion for stage musicians so they have more headroom play for engineer equalisation. 

Design and Implementation of the cross-over is much more important (e.g. Spiral Ears 5 Drivers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back