Ultimate Ears UE Pro Reference Remastered! (UERR)
Dec 21, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #106 of 811
  The 13s have more low bass (relative to midbass) than all those except the Roxanne though it won't have the authority of the Layla. I'd try a TWAG V3. Works well for what you what. Give it a couple hundred hours to settle in. 

The RR sounds like a great product that I'm interested in hearing at some point but it's unlikely to meet your personal 'fun' bass requirement. Not really its intent or purpose.

Thanks.
To my ears the bass of JH13 seem quite subdued (compared to ACS T1, A8,JH16) so I am very curious how flat the UERM would sound. Whether they would be for me, I don't know. Hopefully I'll be able to audition some of these options next year.

Dec 23, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #107 of 811
Got the UPS package today.

They are so light and small compared to Layla! Almost forgot how non-12drivers-ciem looks like :)
Overall - love the sound! Noticeable improvements over the original UERM.
No sharp / harsh highs anymore. They are capable to produce strong, fast and tight bass. Very balanced! Reference label is 100% deserved.
Sound signature is VERY similar to Layla custom - but this is kind of expected, when both are built for producer purposes mostly in mind. Layla just seems to have wider soundstage.

Original cable looks dangerously thin...

Dec 23, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #109 of 811
John, I'd love to hear further comparisons with the UERM, especially regarding tonal difference, overall resolution and soundstage (lateral expansion, depth, layering, precision). 
beerchug.gif

Dec 24, 2015 at 3:25 AM Post #110 of 811

Spotted at a local dealer in Taipei. Wish I got a chance to listen to them but these were customs made for the store owner. Hopefully I'll get a listen to the demo unit when it arrives in a few weeks!

Dec 26, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #111 of 811
Short update : I like the sound more and more! Only bad side is their impedance and sensitivity 35 Ohms / 100 dB @ 1mW which results in kind of thin sound when driven without an AMP.
From TOTL reference IEMs I can consider Layla as direct and probably only one current competitor in the producer / studio range (waiting what brings Shure KSE1500 to the game). And Layla does tremendous job when used directly from the Macbook Pro Retina 2015 output without any AMP at all (20 Ohms / 117dB @ 1mW).
Unfortunately UERR are not able to show their full potential. I found out the perfect pairing seems to be FIIO E12A, which results in amazing powerful and balanced sound signature. But who wants to carry another devices, when this is not necessary with other CIEMs? :) I believe there is reason for that, because the final amped sound is possibly one of the best 2015/2016 reference signatures I have heard.

Dec 28, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #113 of 811
Mine shipped on Dec 18 as I was told and I received them on Tues. As I mentioned I am not a musician or sound engineer or reviewer so just a brief opinion.

1- Fit and finish is great; my right earpiece although giving me a good seal I think it needs a little thickening to fit more sung.
2- Sound is very natural so I guess this is what is called reference.
3- The mids and highs are extended but not harsh and without any hint of spikes or sibilance
4- True that the bass is not exaggerated but this does not mean they are weak in this area. If the music you are playing (for me, Jazz, Beck, etc.) has a lot of bass these CIEMs can produce all the bass that is in there.
5- I keep hearing abut the new Shure's clarity. These are very very clear but the Shures may be clearer (never heard them)

Its amazing what a good design can do with three drivers, no fancy technology acronyms and at a price that seems inexpensive compared to the other TOTL CIEMs these days.

Dec 29, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #114 of 811
Does anyone have impressions of the UERM vs UERR?

Jan 3, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #115 of 811
May I know what DAP are you using with UERR?

Chord Mojo, Creative Sound Blaster E5, AK240 in DAC mode or just Macbook Pro 15 Retina + Fiio E12A amp.

Jan 4, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #116 of 811
Just ordered these and getting my impressions made tonight.  Can't wait to compare these to my beloved ER4S's :)  Which are basically the only IEMS I know well.  But more importantly, I'm excited to see what these monitors sound like on my mixes.  

Neil

Jan 4, 2016 at 6:30 PM Post #117 of 811
  Just ordered these and getting my impressions made tonight.  Can't wait to compare these to my beloved ER4S's :)  Which are basically the only IEMS I know well.  But more importantly, I'm excited to see what these monitors sound like on my mixes.  

Neil

I am also thinking of upgrading from my ER4. Please share your thoughts once you compare the two.

Jan 4, 2016 at 11:41 PM Post #118 of 811
Please share opinion for someone who owns UERM and this UERR. Thanks ya!

Jan 5, 2016 at 12:28 AM Post #119 of 811
The UERRs are more holographic. This was mentioned in Judes comments (unheard, I believe) quoting some folks with UE (or Capitol).

The bass is better on them as well. These are impressions out of the ZX2, mostly. I'm listening to the Mojo now, and I'm quite pleased, but I've spent considerably less time listening to it. It is evident that the Mojo is on another level...but early to form opinions comparing RM to RR.

I want to say that the UERMs are slightly more on 'the bleeding edge'. A little more raw, kind of 'hot', which is actually a quality I can really enjoy. A little bit brighter. They have a sound that is to my liking, a 'reference tuned' signature, but I will say that I like the RRs better. They really have a sound that I can get into and enjoy for long periods. Perhaps this is a component of a broader range of tracks 'sounding really good' with them.

Or perhaps there's a negative way to look at the RRs being 'more pleasing to the ear', and less 'raw', but I'm not seeing any negative here. The RRs sound great. Crisp, articulate, and up to the task of having excellent detail, 'alive', and also natural and easy to listen to.

There are numerous differences, and I'm happy to have both. They are different enough that they are not redundant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back