Ultimate Ears Triple.fi Cable problem
Oct 23, 2009 at 4:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Timothy.Wong

Head-Fier
Hi,

The bendable metal inside the cable seems to break inside, causing damage to the wires inside and it's unable for me to play music. I have already broke two cables since using the triple.fi's, is anybody experiencing this problem as well or is it just me?

Oct 23, 2009 at 5:01 AM Post #2 of 10
yep i have but it wasnt in the metal part. it was in the middle part of the wire. i spliced the cable open and on of the cables broke. i tried to splice it together but i could do it so i ordered like 3 more cables for backups. just poor quality in the cable. i think UE is trying to come up with a new cable cause they stopped selling them.

Oct 23, 2009 at 5:27 AM Post #3 of 10
The trick is to bend the memory wire just once, then leave it at the same shape for future use. It is just a piece of copper wire inside, the more you bend it the faster it will develop fatigue and break eventually. All memory does that.

If you like, there are good quality aftermarket TF10 cable but they are pricy. You can get them at Null Audio or Awwan Audio (on eBay). UE is phasing out the replaceable cable concept on all their newer models, so they don't list it on the website anymore. But you can still buy them if you call their customer service.

Oct 23, 2009 at 12:09 PM Post #4 of 10
the cables suck. i culd spend hours just to bend that damn memory wire, just to have it debend everytime i unplug the phones. also, the cable is way to stiff.

i considered to buy some aftermarked cables, but i was not convinced by the plugs ive seen: the looked verry fragile, consist mostly out of shrinking tube.

so i decided to build cables on my own, and after spending 2 weeks to find a way reproducing the plugs, i came out with a solution to produce plexi / epoxy plugs (involving heavy machinerie, like a fraise and a box column drill).
now i use braided high-flex silicone cables, that dont have any pice of shrinking tube anywhere, are almost totaly microphonic free and verry compfortable to wear.

actually im working on a project to make molding forms to manufacture acryl modl plugs for ue headphones, as the fraised ones dont realy satisfy me in terms of accuracy (they do fit perfect to the phones, but are a bit wonky).

Oct 23, 2009 at 12:45 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by motorbit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the looked verry fragile, consist mostly out of shrinking tube.

LOL, they are either Neutrik or SwitchCraft plug with heat shrink - much better quality than your regular plastic mini plug.

Oct 23, 2009 at 1:17 PM Post #6 of 10
narf, there are aftermarket connetors for the connection between the cable and the phone?
damn! realy, i´ve done so much searching... never had taken all that work to build the plugs if wuld be able to buy them somewhere.

i must have missed them when browsing the neutrik and switchcraft website, can you please provide a link or something? proably just the name of this interface of with the ue headphones are using wuld be sufficient.

Oct 23, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by motorbit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
narf, there are aftermarket connetors for the connection between the cable and the phone?

Oh, I thought we are talking about the mini plug, not the pin connectors. My bad.

Nov 27, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #10 of 10
The same thing just happend to my UE tripleFi...any tips on a good replacement cable? I bought another brand of in ears while im looking for a replacement cable,the Sony xba-h3,they are very good,no question bout that,but they dont really cut it like the UE triple.Fi,so i really appreciate any recommendations on replacement cables!:loud_sound::notes::notes::cupid:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back