Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Impressions
Dec 14, 2006 at 11:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 152

Trogdor

Reviewer: Metal-Fi
Don't ask, I got really really lucky. UE has made my holidays for sure. Ultimate Ears is still trying to get these out as fast as humanly possible and I just happened to ask at the right time. As you can see I'm number 232 and that these babies have a labeled frequency response of 10Hz - 17kHZ. Wow!

Anyway these are just first random impressions after several hours at work listening to them directly out of my Apogee MiniDAC headphone jack (all FLAC):
  1. Comfort is great like all UE's, my ears like them, some won't
  2. MUCH MUCH more neutral than the bass heavy E500's - there is no denying the focus of each headphone
  3. Bass is fully extended and impactful but not as punchy as the E500's. Actually its perfect for me. This is EXACTLY what I wanted. Accurate presented bass without overwhelming the rest of the music.
  4. Very very neutral midrange - I can't stress this enough, its all business here, these IEMs really just disappear as you listen, its the most odd feeling.
  5. Treble is unbelievably good for an IEM, not blurry at all but definitely not the Qualia's. Brubeck's Take Five is a good example with tons of cymbals and bass going back and forward.
  6. Presentation is a tad laid back for my tastes, its not in your face or in your head kinda IEMs such as the SFP5's or a pair of Grado's
  7. Instrument separation is quite impressive. Gershwin's Rhapsody and Beethoven's 9th really sound lovely with all players equally presented. What's amazing is the overall tonal balance. I can't really state there is ANY emphasis on any particular frequency range. Their strongest aspect HANDS DOWN is complete tonal balance. Every aspect of the music is presented accordingly with very little emphasis on any particular range.
  8. Timbre is definitely a little off and not as sweet or musical as some might like. Bar none, this is my biggest criticism thus far. Saxophone/clarinet's sound great but there is definitely something missing. In their defense, no IEM really gets this right IMO compared to a full sized set of cans. I think that's due to their business like nature in that they the TF's go perhaps too much out of their way to remove themselves from the equation! Its hard to verbalize. I'm serious. These IEMs are not like typical IEMs at all. You put them on and sort of get lost in the music. I listened to 2.5 hours and wasn't fatigued at all (from Mozart to Charlie Brown to Megadeth to Tool to various eclectic tracks)
  9. IMO at this point the TF's are way better for classical and jazz than the E500's - however, I think the E500's might be more fun for rock and techno due to their basscentric design. I suspect more reviews will play out this way but take this with a grain of salt...
  10. I think a lot of folks are going to have mixed reviews since the TF's are IMO at this point much more accurate in presenting the music than the E500's but lack a little warmth (which of course could be added with some amplification)
  11. Trose should have waited! LOL! j/k
    biggrin.gif

Pictures taken with camera phone so they're low-rez!

Photo_121406_001.jpg

Photo_121406_003.jpg

Photo_121406_004.jpg

PS Wayne, Aaron, can someone fix my title pretty please?

Dec 14, 2006 at 11:44 PM Post #2 of 152
Nice! Makes me really wanna get a pair when they're readily available for the general public
tongue.gif

The neutrality over the E500 is good news
biggrin.gif

Dec 14, 2006 at 11:59 PM Post #4 of 152
Hey, I just got an email from EarPhoneSolutions.com with my Triple.fi tracking number! Mine should be here tomorrow!!! Can't wait and kudos to UE for getting these out sooner than expected!!!

Dec 15, 2006 at 12:14 AM Post #5 of 152
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trogdor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[*] IMO at this point the TF's are way better for classical and jazz than the E500's - however, I think the E500's might be more fun for rock and techno due to their basscentric design.

This kinda makes me glad I didn't wait.
icon10.gif

Dec 15, 2006 at 12:25 AM Post #6 of 152
Done. Anything for you Alex. You da man.
I'd like to compare them to the E500's someday...perhaps at the NYC February meet.

Dec 15, 2006 at 12:45 AM Post #7 of 152
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Done. Anything for you Alex. You da man.
I'd like to compare them to the E500's someday...perhaps at the NYC February meet.

No you da man Aaron, thanks! Hey, you bring your own foamies, you can definitely try mine! I missed the last meet due to business, but I'm dying to find the right amp for these bad boys.

I have to listen through my nano...post more impressions soon...

Dec 15, 2006 at 12:57 AM Post #9 of 152
Quote:

Trose should have waited! LOL! j/k
biggrin.gif

HA HA HA!!!!!! Believe me the UE-10's are so impressive Im not even missing the fact I WAS #9.

I am surpized they are so neutral I was actually expecting everyone to say they were more on bass heavy side with less rolled highs than the super.fi 5 pros.

Im happy you finally got yours! Congrats.

The UE-10 is the perfect sound for me so no looking back now!

Dec 15, 2006 at 1:08 AM Post #10 of 152
Headroom's Triple.fi graph shows an utterly enormous upper midrange suckout. Does this hold true in your experience?

Dec 15, 2006 at 1:25 AM Post #11 of 152
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Headroom's Triple.fi graph shows an utterly enormous upper midrange suckout. Does this hold true in your experience?

There is definitely something going on in the midrange. Some people claim they are recessed slightly and I would agree somewhat (different sources have a PROFOUND effect on these headphones and may exacerbate the issue).

They are definitely not as forgiving as the E500's.

That sort of feeling of these headphones getting out the way maybe directly related to a midrange recession. However, as of now, I'm really digging it. Its not fatiguing and overall there is a greater sense of tonal balance across the whole range. I really can't wait till more people listen and give their impressions.

Overall, I'm really glad I did not cancel my order (btw, I was SO LATE in ordering these headphones its amazing I got them when I did) for E500's so far. I would have been royally ROYALLY pissed.

I really need a portable amp now....DAMN YOU HEADFI...

Dec 15, 2006 at 1:28 AM Post #12 of 152
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trogdor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is definitely something going on in the midrange. Some people claim they are recessed slightly and I would agree somewhat (different sources have a PROFOUND effect on these headphones and may exacerbate the issue).

They are definitely not as forgiving as the E500's.

That sort of feeling of these headphones getting out the way maybe directly related to a midrange recession. However, as of now, I'm really digging it. Its not fatiguing and overall there is a greater sense of tonal balance across the whole range. I really can't wait till more people listen and give their impressions.

Overall, I'm really glad I did not cancel my order (btw, I was SO LATE in ordering these headphones its amazing I got them when I did) for E500's so far. I would have been royally ROYALLY pissed.

I really need a portable amp now....DAMN YOU HEADFI...

[size=medium]HORNET BABY![/size]

Dec 15, 2006 at 2:30 AM Post #13 of 152
Nice. Thanks for the impressions! Enjoy them Trogdor *thumbs up*

Dec 15, 2006 at 4:41 AM Post #14 of 152
I also received my order confirmation/tracking number from FMASolutions today.

This was indeed a pleasant surprise since I figured I wasnt' getting them in until March.

I really enjoy my e500s, but I have a feeling that the Triple Fis are going to complement my Shure's VERY well!!
biggrin.gif

Dec 15, 2006 at 5:40 AM Post #15 of 152
Quote:

Originally Posted by sant430 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also received my order confirmation/tracking number from FMASolutions today.

This was indeed a pleasant surprise since I figured I wasnt' getting them in until March.

I really enjoy my e500s, but I have a feeling that the Triple Fis are going to complement my Shure's VERY well!!
biggrin.gif

Yea, they are such different beasts its amazing how really different two companies approach the same concept (triple driver IEMs).

There is definitely something going on in the mid-range that is well...different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back