Ultimate Ears Triple-fi 10 - Help needed !!
Nov 8, 2012 at 1:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Tejinder

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-fi

I am not an audiophile or a headphone expert (don't know much of the technical stuff) but I do know how good music sounds like. I wanted to purchase a pair of JH16 pro and recently ordered them. While awaiting my JH16 pro and having not much experience with high-end balanced armature IEMs, I thought it'd be wise to first become habitual to BA IEMs. So I went forward to buy the most hyped Universals, the Ultimate Ears Triple-fi 10. I bought them on Ebay from a reputed dealer for 169 euros and hardly doubt that they are fake.

So far my experience with them has not been great but okay. First of all, I have to mention that they have terrible fit and after much of hassle, finally found a good fit. I like bass in my music (thus JH16), which mainly consists of Rock, Metal, Pop, Classical and a variety of other good songs.

I have particularly two main issues with the tf10.
  1. First, is the lack of Bass. I have listened to the tf10 for about 70 hours now and I am disappointed with bass provided by the tf10. The bass lacks a lot and seems to completely separated in some songs. It just doesn't go with the song. First I thought that there might be issues with the source, fit or the songs. I tried different sources (ipod, mac, android phone - since I am a casual listener so can't afford Hi-Fi rigs), tried variety of different tips and played some bass heavy songs, but still disappointed.
  2. Second, the sound sometimes seems like piercing through my ear-drums making it impossible to listen at high volumes. I can't even listen to some of my favorite songs 
    mad.gif
    . The instrument are very clear but the vocals seem to tear down my ear drum.

I am not against the tf10s, but after hearing and reading so much about them considering the goodwill of the Head-fi members, I am not liking them. For me, they don't have the musicality that I need. They just don't fit my style and somehow I feel scammed but can't blame anyone except myself.

But anyways, I feel that I should rectify my mistake and get them remoulded. I checked out various sites and found out that Unique Melody provide one of the best remoulding services, plus  can add more drivers.
Now. I request Head-fiers to give me some suggestions on what should I do. Also I would like to know, which upgrade should I chose considering that I want extra bass and I don't have a particular budget. Please help !!!

Nov 8, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #2 of 11
Hey, while I understand your disappointment, as a suggestion, in future you should take a look at the frequency response first before purchasing any headphone/IEM.

About the ear-piercing issue, I'm not sure. What do you use it with? Have you enabled any EQ?

And I'm sorry to spoil this for you, there's no such thing as "the sound of good music". What you like may be different from what others like.

Nov 8, 2012 at 5:49 AM Post #3 of 11
Could you please elaborate on the frequency response topic ? And I do not use any equalizer. I usually listen on my ipod or on my macbook. I know there no such thing as a typical sound of good music, as it varies from person to person. But of all the earphones I tries, the tf 10 are the most unmusical. They could have been made for audiophiles who prefer analytical sound but for a person like me, who just wants to listen to his favorite music that relaxes and soothes him, these are far from being the best universals.

Anyways can somebody please give me a solution like getting them remoulded, into a hybrid perhaps ?

And thanks for replying back 
smile.gif

Nov 8, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:
First, is the lack of Bass. I have listened to the tf10 for about 70 hours now and I am disappointed with bass provided by the tf10. The bass lacks a lot and seems to completely separated in some songs. It just doesn't go with the song. First I thought that there might be issues with the source, fit or the songs. I tried different sources (ipod, mac, android phone - since I am a casual listener so can't afford Hi-Fi rigs), tried variety of different tips and played some bass heavy songs, but still disappointed.

Try using an equalizer, if possible. Increase the lower frequencies and decrease the upper ones incrementally to your liking.

Quote:
Second, the sound sometimes seems like piercing through my ear-drums making it impossible to listen at high volumes. I can't even listen to some of my favorite songs 
mad.gif
. The instrument are very clear but the vocals seem to tear down my ear drum.

Lower the volume, at least until your ears acclimate to the sound. If you're been listening to music nonstop for hours, stop and rest.

Nov 8, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #5 of 11
Yep. ^^ This might help, to an extent.

Nov 9, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #6 of 11
Thanks for replying. Apart from using equaliser, would you advise any low driver upgrade which may help in increasing the bass. I am considering to re-shell the tf-10s as I am not satisfied with the fit (and I look like Frankenstein 
biggrin.gif
). Otherwise I'll just have to sell them (which will not be a good option).

Nov 9, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #7 of 11
Honestly, I'm against throwing money at something unless I KNOW it will give me sufficient, quantifiable benefit. I say give the 10s a bit more time, then possibly sell and buy something more akin to your sonic preferences.

Nov 10, 2012 at 3:47 AM Post #9 of 11
Hello Head-fi

I am not an audiophile or a headphone expert (don't know much of the technical stuff) but I do know how good music sounds like. I wanted to purchase a pair of JH16 pro and recently ordered them. While awaiting my JH16 pro and having not much experience with high-end balanced armature IEMs, I thought it'd be wise to first become habitual to BA IEMs. So I went forward to buy the most hyped Universals, the Ultimate Ears Triple-fi 10. I bought them on Ebay from a reputed dealer for 169 euros and hardly doubt that they are fake.

So far my experience with them has not been great but okay. First of all, I have to mention that they have terrible fit and after much of hassle, finally found a good fit. I like bass in my music (thus JH16), which mainly consists of Rock, Metal, Pop, Classical and a variety of other good songs.

I have particularly two main issues with the tf10.
  • First, is the lack of Bass. I have listened to the tf10 for about 70 hours now and I am disappointed with bass provided by the tf10. The bass lacks a lot and seems to completely separated in some songs. It just doesn't go with the song. First I thought that there might be issues with the source, fit or the songs. I tried different sources (ipod, mac, android phone - since I am a casual listener so can't afford Hi-Fi rigs), tried variety of different tips and played some bass heavy songs, but still disappointed.
  • Second, the sound sometimes seems like piercing through my ear-drums making it impossible to listen at high volumes. I can't even listen to some of my favorite songs :mad: . The instrument are very clear but the vocals seem to tear down my ear drum.

I am not against the tf10s, but after hearing and reading so much about them considering the goodwill of the Head-fi members, I am not liking them. For me, they don't have the musicality that I need. They just don't fit my style and somehow I feel scammed but can't blame anyone except myself.

But anyways, I feel that I should rectify my mistake and get them remoulded. I checked out various sites and found out that Unique Melody provide one of the best remoulding services, plus  can add more drivers.
Now. I request Head-fiers to give me some suggestions on what should I do. Also I would like to know, which upgrade should I chose considering that I want extra bass and I don't have a particular budget. Please help !!!

Whoo Whoo.......If you didn't like the sound now, don't bother remoulding into customs, you'll only be wasting more money, it's not going to improve the sound so much and in rare cases they sound a touch worse after a remould. The fit however will be better, but I stress if you're not happy with the bass response and the treble I gather is harsh, don't go for customs.

lol the bass you mentioned is meant to be seperated like that, it's actually looked in the audio scene as good seperation. I know what you're saying because I owned TF10, the reason the bass isn't going low (sub-bass) is because balanced armature drivers have a roll off in the low end. So any dynamic of even cheaper price may appear to have 'better bass' but it's the qaulity of the bass that matters, the clarity and texture.

You really should of joined and asked a few questions before jumping in. but you're in luck because TF10 hold their resale value highly, I recommend you sell them on ebay as hardly used you will not lose much. I even made a small profit on my pair when I sold them recently. TF10 are a good IEM but the snake oil marketing really deceives people

You will hear every layer of sound, every nuance, every whisper, through the triple balanced armature drivers in each ear. :xf_eek:

Sell them on ebay mate, count your loses and move on. I can promise you won't lose much.

Nov 10, 2012 at 8:33 AM Post #10 of 11
I am a member of Head-fi for about three months now and I have read more than enough reviews of the tf10s and everyone seems to worshipping them in terms of sound quality. Some even refer them as the best universals till date and those of who get them remoulded also appreciate them a lot. Now after reading such reviews and comments, anyone would be tempted to buy them at their current price. Anyways, money has never been an issue for me, so I won't be selling them. The equaliser thing worked a bit andI have to agree that they sound good even if they may not suite my taste. I am awaiting my Jh16s and until I get them, I would not be taking any action. Plus H20fidelity, could you please tell me, did you auction your tf10s or just sold them ? And thanks for replying.

Nov 10, 2012 at 8:52 AM Post #11 of 11
I am a member of Head-fi for about three months now and I have read more than enough reviews of the tf10s and everyone seems to worshipping them in terms of sound quality. Some even refer them as the best universals till date and those of who get them remoulded also appreciate them a lot. Now after reading such reviews and comments, anyone would be tempted to buy them at their current price. Anyways, money has never been an issue for me, so I won't be selling them. The equaliser thing worked a bit andI have to agree that they sound good even if they may not suite my taste. I am awaiting my Jh16s and until I get them, I would not be taking any action. Plus H20fidelity, could you please tell me, did you auction your tf10s or just sold them ? And thanks for replying.

Hi Tejinder, glad you are enjoying them a little more.

I actually just sold them outright on ebay, I'm sure you could fetch a little more than I did by doing an auction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back