Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Earphones for $99 at Amazon!
Dec 12, 2009 at 5:06 AM Post #916 of 1,260
I never meant that he was doing it out of the goodness of his heart. I believe it was Ronald Coase who responded to the question, "Are there firms that aren't motivated by profit?" with, "Yes, we just refer to them as former firms."

That said, there's no reason that the interest of firms motivated by profit must be in opposition to the interest of the consumer. If Logitech wasn't motivated by profit the TF10s would have never been developed--just as if Shure (and all other headphone manufacturers) wasn't motivated by profit we wouldn't have the TF10s at these prices, because Logitech would have no competition.

It all boils down to whether the people buying headphones to resell kept a significant number of people from getting the deal (and whether those people are morally to blame for it, or whether Amazon should have regulated it differently). Given that the $99 deal was time based, and the $150-$50 deal was capped at 3, I don't think so. Obviously, people disagree, which is good--if the people agreed about everything the world would be a very boring place
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 12, 2009 at 5:32 AM Post #917 of 1,260
Quote:

Originally Posted by mistertomlinson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am selling TF10s right now for $1,299 a pair if anyone is interested.

I'm certainly interested, but I have four conditions:

1. Can I have the $50 rebate coupon?

2. I would like to have the 12 month subscription of Wired magazine as well!

3. Do you mind if I pay you in unused stamps? (Some will be Canadian, German, Swedish, Danish or Russian, and so on, but if you travel a lot they may come in handy!)

4. I want 1-day shipping, preferably arriving at Dec. 22. 2010

PS. Do you mind that I later in 2011 will try to "flip" these for a minor profit of three Bulgarian stamps (to my personal benefit only, of course) to another HF'er who lives in a country where the goverment taxes his socks of?

PS#2 I certainly hope the Moderators won't ban me for this?

PS#3 Last one: I don't hope that another HF member will report me for posting this message?

Dec 12, 2009 at 5:51 AM Post #919 of 1,260
It's pretty funny how people act as though buying these things and selling them back for profit would be against the law. It's not as though they forced Amazon to sell these things at $99, they did it under their own free will.

The people who bought the headphones initially and sold them things back at $150 provided a service to the consumer. By investing the money originally, they have allowed people who were not able to jump on the deal to save money overall. It's naive to think that people are going to sell the headphones back at $99 out of the goodness of their hearts and ignore the money that would be left on the table if that were to happen.

As a person who missed the deal, if I were seriously interested in the TF10s, I would be happy that people bought them up when they could. The parties involved would benefit more overall than if I were to buy the headphones off of Amazon now for $200. I am out $50 for no reason and someone else missed out on $50.

Dec 12, 2009 at 5:57 AM Post #920 of 1,260
Quote:

Originally Posted by borako /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@Jupiterknight: You must have a lot of free time on hand.
wink.gif

Seriously, I agree that this thread has really gotten out of hands and going nowhere...

I surely wish I did
confused_face(1).gif
And yes, you're absolutely right, one of my points in my previous post (maybe not so explicit!) was that this has gotten out of hands and the reactions to this, from many sides, has been way out of proportion. IMO

Dec 12, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #921 of 1,260
Quote:

Originally Posted by fyu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nobody is forbidden. it just doesn't make economic sense. unless that store is selling for a low enough price for the second store to pull a profit.

I know for a fact that it's highly illegal to do this in the alcoholic beverage industry. Smaller stores can't match the volume of the larger ones, and so end up paying more from distributors than they would just buying their products at retail from a competitor. It makes perfect economic sense if your store is in the lower east side and your cheaper competitor is in brooklyn. I've personally seen this happen, and I've seen the legal consequences that followed.

Dec 12, 2009 at 6:11 AM Post #922 of 1,260
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tmacfan4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's pretty funny how people act as though buying these things and selling them back for profit would be against the law. It's not as though they forced Amazon to sell these things at $99, they did it under their own free will.

The people who bought the headphones initially and sold them things back at $150 provided a service to the consumer. By investing the money originally, they have allowed people who were not able to jump on the deal to save money overall. It's naive to think that people are going to sell the headphones back at $99 out of the goodness of their hearts and ignore the money that would be left on the table if that were to happen.

As a person who missed the deal, if I were seriously interested in the TF10s, I would be happy that people bought them up when they could. The parties involved would benefit more overall than if I were to buy the headphones off of Amazon now for $200. I am out $50 for no reason and someone else missed out on $50.

x2

Dec 12, 2009 at 6:13 AM Post #923 of 1,260
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonnybobiche /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know for a fact that it's highly illegal to do this in the alcoholic beverage industry. Smaller stores can't match the volume of the larger ones, and so end up paying more from distributors than they would just buying their products at retail from a competitor. It makes perfect economic sense if your store is in the lower east side and your cheaper competitor is in brooklyn. I've personally seen this happen, and I've seen the legal consequences that followed.

This isn't a recurring problem though, it was a one-time sale. These situations aren't comparable in scope or magnitude.

Dec 12, 2009 at 6:40 AM Post #924 of 1,260
I wouldn't doubt that it's illegal to do it professionally, but as an individual the laws might be different. I have no idea how ebay sellers and such are treated from a legal standpoint.

Tmacfan, valid point about consumer/producer surplus, and I like the inversion. If the headphones are worth $200 to the consumer and the "producer" (flipper) bought them at $100, why should he pass on all of the $100 gain (difference between price paid and price willing to be paid) to the final consumer? Out of the goodness of his heart? Fair enough, but most people won't go to the trouble for a total stranger--just how people work. Not always how they should (if everyone did 4 hours a week of volunteer work the world would be a much better place), but that's a different discussion
smily_headphones1.gif

And yes, this thread has completely derailed, but since most people don't have their headphones yet it's difficult to do much other than talk economics and gripe about Amazon screwing up shipping dates
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 12, 2009 at 8:24 AM Post #926 of 1,260
yea mclovin use the comply foam. mush it with your fingers... roll them so it gets flat. insert into your ear. hold in place for about 5-8 seconds while it opens and seals. then listen and enjoy

yes this thread has derailed. anyone that bought within the first 10 hours or so already got them. I got mine monday

Dec 12, 2009 at 8:39 AM Post #927 of 1,260
Quote:

Originally Posted by xguntherc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yea mclovin use the comply foam. mush it with your fingers... roll them so it gets flat. insert into your ear. hold in place for about 5-8 seconds while it opens and seals. then listen and enjoy

yes this thread has derailed. anyone that bought within the first 10 hours or so already got them. I got mine monday

I have tried all the tips that come with the UE, still the seal is not that tight; i even trying to switch the Left and Right cable, it's still a loose seal.

Dec 12, 2009 at 8:40 AM Post #928 of 1,260
Yeah use the comply, will work wonders for you
smily_headphones1.gif
Also, mclovin like off Superbad? haha
biggrin.gif

Dec 12, 2009 at 9:04 AM Post #929 of 1,260
Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah use the comply, will work wonders for you
smily_headphones1.gif
Also, mclovin like off Superbad? haha
biggrin.gif

Yes i am using the smallest comply but the seal is still not as tight I would like; the best seal is my x10. With the smallest comply, each time i move my head left or right, the ue fall out easily;

yes mclovin from superbad.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back