Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5Pro or Etymotic ER•4P
Mar 31, 2006 at 10:45 AM Post #16 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiophilehi
Hi all,

I am looking for headphones strickly for use with my 60G IPOD video. I currently have the Senn 650 for home use with a Singlepower MPX3 12sn7 amp. I also have the Senn px100 that I use for the IPOD currently. I'm looking to upgrade from the px100.

Thanks
Paul

Since you don't want them for home use I pick the SF5P. I love the ER4P, but IMO they need an amp and I don't want to lug around an amp when I'm on the go.

The SF5P are much easier to drive. The bass is great which makes them more "fun". I like more "fun" when I'm out and about. You will sacrafice some detail, but I don't miss it. At home I have different criteria.

Cheers,
Sam

Mar 31, 2006 at 11:43 PM Post #17 of 32
I find the ER-4P's fine with my 5G 60GB iPod without an amp, more then enough bass, although insertion does need to be practiced and you do need to get it perfect, but once you have mastered the correct insertion technique, you get it every time I find.

Mar 31, 2006 at 11:51 PM Post #19 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter
just get both, and later the shure e500.

The words of a true Head-Fier...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 1, 2006 at 1:52 AM Post #21 of 32
I also have had tons of fit issues with my uesf5p. also, go read, the build quality of the housing has been an issue for some. Im currently trading mine for some ER-4P.

Apr 1, 2006 at 1:56 AM Post #22 of 32
Well, if someone says the higher end SHURE has a lot better than the SF5P, I would think about E5. But I doubt how "a lot" means? IMO E5 only performs slightly better than SF5P in bass.

Dont forget the importance of user-replaceable cord - it is particularly relevant to those who wish to use his high-end IEMs (e.g. E5 / UM2 / SF5 / ER4, etc) for a relatively longer period (says, 3 years) - lots of E5 owners have found the cable turned green (oxidised) which affects the quality of sound of the IEM.

Every cord oxidises and you cant stop it - no matter it is a clear or color one (the only difference is that oxidisation is not visible in a color cord). But replacement of cord is possible in super.fi series, and problem solved, that's it.

Apr 1, 2006 at 2:03 AM Post #23 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by misaki206

Every cord will oxidise and you cant stop it - no matter it is a clear or color one (the only difference is that oxidisation is not visible in a color cord). But replacement of cord is possible in super.fi series, and problem solved, that's it.

How can you tell if the cord is oxidised if it is not visible to user?
Becuase shure has 2 year warranty service, I believe it is possible to send it bak for repair.

Apr 1, 2006 at 3:27 AM Post #24 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahoro
How can you tell if the cord is oxidised if it is not visible to user?
Becuase shure has 2 year warranty service, I believe it is possible to send it bak for repair.

Two ways to prove it:

(1) Cut it out and see it

(2) Compare with a newer one of the same model of IEM - deterioration of sound quality is obvious with an oxidised cord

Concerning the 2-year warranty of SHURE, we have the following experience:

(1) SHURE has refused to change a new one for an oxidised cord (completely green) and claimed that it does not affect the sound quality (though non-sense) - HOWEVER, Westone has accepted replacement for the same purpose (but the new cord is a black one so that user is put into an inferior position to identify if the cord has turned green / oxidised ever again)

(2) Someone who has successfully requested SHURE to replace a new one for her completed oxidised cord of E5c - but she has put enormous effort to prove the deterioration of sound quality and repeatedly agrued with SHURE by numberous emails to get a new one. Think about the "transaction cost" of it and I'm afraid not everyone is able to do it.

Comparing SHURE with Westone, obviously Westone has done a better job in this issue and seems to be a more professional and customer-oriented company producing high-end IEM than SHURE.

Just my 2 cents.

Apr 1, 2006 at 4:40 AM Post #25 of 32
^ Yes, I am by not means a UE fanboy, but I was surprised that Shure allowed their cables to turn green like that, and refuse to replace them. I mean, on their seeing-level it's justifiable, because you are replacing a whole new set of earphones.

Thus, the option of having a user-replaceable cord, is, as far as I can see it, a HUGE advantage. Another one of the main reasons why I chose the 5 Pros over the Westone, Shures, and Etys.

Apr 1, 2006 at 5:30 AM Post #26 of 32
Note that Westone themselves say that the greening of the cable does not affect sound quality. So if Shure is full of it then so is Westone. I myself do not doubt them on the issue.

Apr 1, 2006 at 5:37 AM Post #27 of 32
Yes. Both SHURE and Westone claim that greening cable doesnt affect sound quality.

But Westone accepts replacement if requested by customer and SHURE does not. That's the difference.

Apr 1, 2006 at 5:50 AM Post #28 of 32
So wait...do ALL cables oxidise over time? I mean, aside from teh E5(c), I never heard of any other complaints...

Apr 1, 2006 at 11:13 AM Post #29 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtheisticFreedom
So wait...do ALL cables oxidise over time? I mean, aside from teh E5(c), I never heard of any other complaints...

Well, how long it takes depends on your environment, but it will eventually happen. The E5 and UM2 have the problem of it being obvious since the cable is clear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back