Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5Pro or Etymotic ER•4P
Mar 30, 2006 at 11:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Audiophilehi

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I am looking for headphones strickly for use with my 60G IPOD video. I currently have the Senn 650 for home use with a Singlepower MPX3 12sn7 amp. I also have the Senn px100 that I use for the IPOD currently. I'm looking to upgrade from the px100.

Thanks
Paul

Mar 30, 2006 at 11:42 PM Post #2 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiophilehi
Hi all,

I am looking for headphones strickly for use with my 60G IPOD video. I currently have the Senn 650 for home use with a Singlepower MPX3 12sn7 amp. I also have the Senn px100 that I use for the IPOD currently. I'm looking to upgrade from the px100.

Thanks
Paul

They're very different IEM's. What kind of sound are you after? Ety do detail well and Super Fi's are deeper in the bass dept.

Mar 30, 2006 at 11:50 PM Post #3 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZackT
They're very different IEM's. What kind of sound are you after? Ety do detail well and Super Fi's are deeper in the bass dept.

I listen to mostly Rock music and love the deep
basshead.gif
base but I am also interested in detail.
confused.gif
I am also adding another headphone to the list the Westone UM2.
biggrin.gif

Mar 31, 2006 at 12:11 AM Post #4 of 32
I just did this test (for the second time)
I definitely prefer the ETY ER4P to the Super Fi.

Even though there can be less bass, the clarity and detail of the ETY phones do it for me.
The SuperFi is a nice product, but to me they sound muddy and dull even if they have more (but less clear) bass.

The higher end Shure phones might be a good compromise. They seem to fall between the ETY & SuperFi sound. They don't match the ETY for clarity, but they are a lot better than the Super's.
TR

Mar 31, 2006 at 12:21 AM Post #5 of 32
I'd just like to add to that and say that the Ety's are by no means lacking in the bass department though. Good insertion will bring excellent results, I get plenty of bass with my 60GB iPod and my ER-4P's.

Mar 31, 2006 at 12:44 AM Post #6 of 32
The problem with the SuperFi seems to be a larger degree of potential variation with the fit due to the large bore of the sound tube.

If I contort them in my ears so I get a good fit, the muddiness of the bass is not an issue. However keeping the fit is a slight problem for me, and I imagine it is a problem for some others too. Provided they're fitted properly though, they are nicely balanced in sound for an IEM, and the drivers are actually quite honest in terms of revealing their strengths and limitations (unlike the Etymotic approach of blinding you with a jacked-up treble) while remaining pleasant throughout.

If they fit I would recommend the Super.Fi's over the Etys for all-purpose listening. But of course you're going to have to be the judge of whether it fits, so you might as well try it out for yourself from somewhere which lets you try. If they don't, well it's the 4P's or my recommendation, the E4c's.

Mar 31, 2006 at 1:09 AM Post #8 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by etherealbeats
You will have to try all of them out first, please don't go buying based on everyones recommendations, we all have different preferences.

I do agree with the above statement. I'm looking for some recommendations and then try to find a dealer in NYC where I can try before I buy.

I guess the challenge will be where do I find a dealer in NYC that has a display of IEM's to try.
confused.gif

Paul

Mar 31, 2006 at 5:23 AM Post #9 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiophilehi
I do agree with the above statement. I'm looking for some recommendations and then try to find a dealer in NYC where I can try before I buy.

I guess the challenge will be where do I find a dealer in NYC that has a display of IEM's to try.
confused.gif

Paul

I don't think i've ever seen a dealer anywhere that properly demos IEMs, kinda like demo'g toothbrushes, or anything else you stick in your body. Etronics on lower east side seems to have a "upto 15% restocking fee" (website's not real clear) and street prices on Shure and Ety in stock. Also decent merchant rating on froogle

Mar 31, 2006 at 7:06 AM Post #11 of 32
the answer for "i thought ety's have no bass?" is "you need a hornet"

seriously, the ER4P (or S for that matter now that i'm using the P-S converter) has more than sufficient bass when paired with the hornet. and the best thing about it is that the bass still remains nice and tight, with nice texture and a generous amount of slam. add that to the clear highs, and we have a winner
etysmile.gif

Mar 31, 2006 at 7:12 AM Post #13 of 32
i also had issues with fitment on the ue5p. my ears always felt like they were pressurized after i inserted the iems, similar to how your ears feel when the air pressure on an airplane changes. no amount of pulling or twisting was able to alleviate this problem. after 30 minutes of use, it would eventually give me a headache. in addition to that, the muddy sound was not my cup of tea. i prefer the er4p (with S adapter) although i'd take the e4 over both of them.

Mar 31, 2006 at 7:40 AM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
The problem with the SuperFi seems to be a larger degree of potential variation with the fit due to the large bore of the sound tube.

If I contort them in my ears so I get a good fit, the muddiness of the bass is not an issue. However keeping the fit is a slight problem for me, and I imagine it is a problem for some others too. Provided they're fitted properly though, they are nicely balanced in sound for an IEM, and the drivers are actually quite honest in terms of revealing their strengths and limitations (unlike the Etymotic approach of blinding you with a jacked-up treble) while remaining pleasant throughout.

If they fit I would recommend the Super.Fi's over the Etys for all-purpose listening. But of course you're going to have to be the judge of whether it fits, so you might as well try it out for yourself from somewhere which lets you try. If they don't, well it's the 4P's or my recommendation, the E4c's.

I agree with Bangraman. If you're deciding between the two, I'd say the Super.Fi is the better choice overall. The E4 would be my choice of the three as well.

BTW, Bangraman, have you tried the Shure E2 grey soft flex sleeves on the Super.Fi? It may improve your fit.

Mar 31, 2006 at 8:04 AM Post #15 of 32
I'm having more fun with my Super.fi 5 pro then I did with my Etymotic 4p. I perceived more bass, bottom-end attack, and head stage with the 5 pro that wooed me over the alternative.

In addition, the Etymotics also need to be inserted pretty deep, almost too deep for my comfort. They feel as if the tip is at a hairs width away from your ear drum. If someone hit or bumped into your head then perforation could occur. This is not likely, but plausible. The 5 pro is not capable of going this deep, nor is it needed to accomplish desired bass levels.

By the way, the so-called “mud” everyone is talking about highly depends on the chosen music recording someone is listening to. When I first purchased my 5 pro, everything was great for a week or so until I ventured off the reservation by listening to Kanye West’s Touch the Sky. There was just too much going on. Maybe it was just poorly mixed. I don’t know, but it sounded like garbage!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back