Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 EB versus Pro
Oct 18, 2007 at 4:50 AM Post #16 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by devilsadvocate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The bass on the Pro is much weaker.

Honestly, I prefer the EBs. I'm actually starting to consider selling my Pros.

No idea. But generally Creative players tend to have good sound. I enjoyed my Vision: M before it got stolen. Cowon is better though, IMO.

My take is that if you get the Pro you will really feel that the bass is too weak, especially if you want to "feel" the bass or if you're comparing to speakers.

Final note: if you get the EBs, let the burn in. They will get much, much more refined after a week or so of use. And if you look at my sig you'll note that I own both.

personally I think the 5pros have plenty of bass and I listen to R&B and hip hop. that said, to feel the bass it still does not match a nice pair of logitech's with a subwoofer, which are consumer level.

I think the mids and highs, especially in classical music aren't quite as clear as my e3c's with my 5pros...let alone for the even heavier EBs. So long as you don't listen to classical at all I think you'll be good with the EBs if you are a bass fan. Otherwise stick with the 5pros, which do perfectly fine in the bass department and should be more balanced overall.

Nov 10, 2007 at 1:25 PM Post #17 of 20
I got my Pros a week ago and I'm in music heaven. They have more than enough bass while still supplying great sound in the other frequencies. I can't imagine having more bass and a more unbalanced experience.

They're very comfortable in my ears, never budge and come out, and it feels like the music is beamed straight to my brain...

It's hard to go back to the HD280s at home now since the experience is less overwhelming in some aspects. The sound the Pros provide is definitely clearer and more defined. The Zen Touch I got is driving them nicely, and plugging them into my computer's M-Audio Revolution makes for an even better experience! Unfortunately, the cable is very short and it's hard to reach the computer output even with an extension I got with my previous phones.

I think my next move will be upgrading from the 280s.

Anyway, thanks for your input!

Nov 10, 2007 at 1:46 PM Post #18 of 20
its all about taste, one of the issues with armatures is that they deliver a very accurate sound quality but over a limited range, so some people think that on single armature might be weak on the base or have a annoying high roll off, so manufacturers make multi armature headphones to cover different parts of the hearable spectrum, with crossovers to sync them correctly,

now, some people prefer dynamic drivers for the lower frequencies insted of an armature, and thats the main differance between the pro and the EB, you prefer the lower frequencies generated a dynamic driver or a armature, i have not compared them, but from all the discussion i have seen comparing both headphones, i think it all comes down to bright and fun sound vs darker and more analitical,

Nov 10, 2007 at 2:57 PM Post #19 of 20
the eb's have the same high armature and they are not analitical
rolleyes.gif

i use them for electronc music and the bass is not overwhelming.they provide the right amound of bass thats needed withoud beeing muddy. EB's rock!

Nov 26, 2007 at 2:42 AM Post #20 of 20
go for the EB's. the bass isn't at all overwhelming. totally depends on your source. no mp3 player will give the EB the monstrous bass that it's capable of. on the cowon d2, it's very balanced, i use slight eq and i actually turn the bass up a few db. on the computer setup, i can supply a lot more bass. the best thing about the EB isn't that it adds bass to everything, it's that it can handle as much bass as the source can provide without distorting. really a bass lover's phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back