Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 EB versus Pro
Oct 17, 2007 at 5:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Shlonglor

100+ Head-Fier
Hello.

I've been reading the forums over the last few days, trying to decide which IEMs I want to upgrade myself to. I currently have a cheap pair of in-ear Panasonic phones and HD280s for home listening (which I love).

I have come down to a decision between the Super.Fi 5 EB and the Pro. The price difference isn't that large...

The idea of extra bass for phones which usually don't supply a lot of the bass experience sounds good to me. I listen to all kinds of music - electronic, metal, trip-hop and other genres which have very little focus on bass - but in all (or most, at least) of them I like "feeling" the bass. As long as it's not distorted and as long as it doesn't cast a shadow and nullify the other frequencies, of course!

However, if I'm already buying something good, I might want to spend a little more and get the Pro version.

Can you tell me:
How's the bass in the Pro compared to the EB?
How much better the overall sound quality is in the Pro? Is it worth the price difference?
How's the audio quality output on the Creative Zen Micro(/photo) line of players? (I'm also looking for a portable player.. )

Thanks in advance and thanks for all the knowledge you've already imparted on me.
icon10.gif

Oct 17, 2007 at 5:24 PM Post #2 of 20
Welcome to Headfi, sorry about your wallet,
wink.gif

There's another direct comparison thread if you do a search. Personally however, I have both and prefer the EB model for out on the street with noise around. If you're comparing both for critical listening at home connected to a decent amp however the Pro's are far better.

Oct 17, 2007 at 5:56 PM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyGeneric /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome to Headfi, sorry about your wallet,
wink.gif

There's another direct comparison thread if you do a search. Personally however, I have both and prefer the EB model for out on the street with noise around. If you're comparing both for critical listening at home connected to a decent amp however the Pro's are far better.

I will use my HD280s at home for the most part.
These will accompany me when I'm out, using my laptop (normal onboard audio) and any portable music player I'll end up buying.

I understand that their low impedance means they'll do fine without an amp. Isn't that so?
(I have an M-Audio Revolution at home which has a good amp built in)

Oct 17, 2007 at 7:40 PM Post #4 of 20
Most people here consider the Pro to have a little more than enough bass, and EB to have overwhelming bass.

Oct 17, 2007 at 9:06 PM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shlonglor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello.

I've been reading the forums over the last few days, trying to decide which IEMs I want to upgrade myself to. I currently have a cheap pair of in-ear Panasonic phones and HD280s for home listening (which I love).

I have come down to a decision between the Super.Fi 5 EB and the Pro. The price difference isn't that large...

The idea of extra bass for phones which usually don't supply a lot of the bass experience sounds good to me. I listen to all kinds of music - electronic, metal, trip-hop and other genres which have very little focus on bass - but in all (or most, at least) of them I like "feeling" the bass. As long as it's not distorted and as long as it doesn't cast a shadow and nullify the other frequencies, of course!

However, if I'm already buying something good, I might want to spend a little more and get the Pro version.

Can you tell me:
How's the bass in the Pro compared to the EB?
How much better the overall sound quality is in the Pro? Is it worth the price difference?
How's the audio quality output on the Creative Zen Micro(/photo) line of players? (I'm also looking for a portable player.. )

Thanks in advance and thanks for all the knowledge you've already imparted on me.
icon10.gif

The bass on the Pro is much weaker.

Honestly, I prefer the EBs. I'm actually starting to consider selling my Pros.

No idea. But generally Creative players tend to have good sound. I enjoyed my Vision: M before it got stolen. Cowon is better though, IMO.

My take is that if you get the Pro you will really feel that the bass is too weak, especially if you want to "feel" the bass or if you're comparing to speakers.

Final note: if you get the EBs, let the burn in. They will get much, much more refined after a week or so of use. And if you look at my sig you'll note that I own both.

Oct 17, 2007 at 9:11 PM Post #6 of 20
I'd say the pro sounds not unlike a dt-770. What that says for the EB, I don't know.

Mine were sent in for warranty repair about a year or so ago and they sent me what looks like a new pair that has remained unopened since. Too much for portable use and not enough for sit down listening, imho.

Oct 17, 2007 at 9:13 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

I will use my HD280s at home for the most part.
These will accompany me when I'm out, using my laptop (normal onboard audio) and any portable music player I'll end up buying.

I understand that their low impedance means they'll do fine without an amp. Isn't that so?
(I have an M-Audio Revolution at home which has a good amp built in)

They will sound -nothing- like hd280's.

Oct 17, 2007 at 9:17 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd say the pro sounds not unlike a dt-770.

I completely agree with this.

Oct 17, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Mine were sent in for warranty repair about a year or so ago and they sent me what looks like a new pair that has remained unopened since. Too much for portable use and not enough for sit down listening, imho.

Why is that?

Oct 17, 2007 at 10:04 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Why is that?

I had a pair of e2c's which worked for walking about and were easier to manage (sturdier cord, easier to seat well, didn't stick out of ears/cause pain when something bumped them).

And, when I was at my office, I much preferred full sized cans for easy on/off (and sound).

IMHO, YMMV, etc.

Were it me, I would go:

big cans at home,
$50 e2c's or equivalent for mobile
big or medium cans at destination

Of course, I paid close to $100 for my e2c's a couple years ago and the pros can be had for close to that now. I will say they need to be babied a bit more than the e2c's though.

Oct 17, 2007 at 10:58 PM Post #11 of 20
Not a big fan of huge bass. Also, the size of the sf5eb is crazy.

So, I'm voting for sf5pro.

Oct 17, 2007 at 11:43 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

They will sound -nothing- like hd280's.

What do you mean? Just because of the inherit difference or anything else?

What do dt-770s sound like?
smily_headphones1.gif

Also what do you mean baby them? Are they extra fragile?

Oct 18, 2007 at 3:28 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

What do you mean? Just because of the inherit difference or anything else?

What do dt-770s sound like?
smily_headphones1.gif

Also what do you mean baby them? Are they extra fragile?

Mine broke in less than a month, treated essentially the same as my e2c's that have gone about 2 years without a fault now (though they did have one warranty repair which resulted in me buying the super.fi pros to begin with).

dt-770's sound like... oh man just do a search
smily_headphones1.gif

DT-770 pros sound like.... \-
HD-280 pros sound like.... -/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back