Ultimate Ears MetroFi 170 & MetroFi 220 Review
Jun 13, 2009 at 11:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

FYJX

Previously known as MaoDi
Hello, My Name is Felix and I been kindly offered a sample of the New Ultimate Ears MetroFi 170 & 220 for review.

So lets get started!

The Pictures are massive for detail, but they aren't the most clear pictures as they are taken with my phone, So please don't come a shoot me for it please!
dt880smile.png
Updates will be posted after 500 hours of Burn in for both. Keep your Eyes out!

Intro:
After Logitech Acquired Ultimate Ears in August 2008. Ultimate Ears Discontinued their current MetroFi Line at the Time, Being the 100, 150, and 200 which was online around for a couple of months. The Next month, Ultimate Ears that was now under Logitech had designed a New MetroFi Series, which Included a more Stylish Look, along with New Drivers and Design, but also keeping the iPhone Alternative. So in 2009, the New MetroFi series, the 170, 170vi, 220, and 220vi went live, and was out for purchasing. The Prices were reasonably priced like before, the 170 being priced the same as the 150 in both Original and iPhone Compatible versions, at $49.99 and $59.99. While the 220 was priced the same as the 200 in both version, at $79.99 and $99.99 Respectively.

Packaging: (Both 170 & 220)
Packaging wise, Just as before. Simple Design, but appealing and attractive at the same time. May not me the strongest packaging ever, as it's made of Hard Plastic, but it's very very thin.

10062009435.jpg

10062009441.jpg

10062009436.jpg

10062009437.jpg

10062009438.jpg

10062009439.jpg

10062009447.jpg

10062009450.jpg

After opening the box, that was taped together with the Circular Clear Stickers. We are introduced to a plastic mold which has a little compartment that holds the Manual, Warranty Imformation Booklet, Sleeves, the Carrying Case, and the Cable of the Earphones. While at the top, is molded to have the earphones snap into place. This plastic molding is then put in a sleeve of Cardboard with the labels, information, and descriptions about the Metro Fi 170 and the MetroFi 220.

SOUND QUALITIO!

Highs: MF170-6.5/10 MF220-7/10

The highs on both earphones are reasonable, and decent for the price. They aren't as good as some competitors at the same price range, for example the highs on the Klipsch Image S4 are definitely better than both of the MetroFis. However if you are coming from stock buds, this is a little taste of what real High frequencies are suppose to sound like.

Mids: MF170-7.5/10 MF220-7.5/10

Smooth and Lush. Very Warm, and has a Dynamical sound to them. Seems though there's a slight bump in the Higher Midrange. If you're a person that likes a fun sound to listen to, these will definitely fit your taste. The mids are very detailed for the price that you pay for them, the mids aren't as warm as Klipsch Image S4's, but are more detailed on the 220. The Mids i would say are comparable to the Se115, but with less detail and accuracy.

Lows: MF170-7/10 MF220-7.5/10
Lows are the Best Frequency on these MetroFi's. They are punchy, low, and has a very Dynamic Feel to them. It may not be the Most accurate Lows in the world, like you would get from a pair of Phonak's, but the lows are powerful and people coming from something like skullcandies wouldn't find these disappointing at all....but of course the lows are not overpowering and muddy like they are on slkullcandies. The MF220 has punchier, and more powerful feel when compared to the MF170, but that's not to be expected as the MF220 comes at the $30 price up from the 170. The Lows are not as warm as the Image S4, but both the 170 and 220 are comparable to the Image S4 on Power and Speed wise. if you're a basshead but are on a tight budget, take a look at these and give them a try. They Shouldn't be disappointing at all.

Soundstage: MF170-6/10 MF220-6.5/10
Soundstage wise, both are that impressive. yes once again, a step up from stock buds. However, the soundstage doesn't compare to some similar price earphones like the Backbeat Titanium from Altec Lansing that has the same sort of driver as the 220, which is a Neodymium Magnet with a Titanium Coating. So if you are person that likes your music to be super wide, and "live" sounding, avoid these as these earphones won't be for you.

Accessories:

This part is the part that disappoints a bit. yes i didn't expect much from the MetroFi 170, as it is priced at 49.99. So i was right, it came with a Carrying case, the same as the one that came with the UE700, and S, M, and L Sleeve. But for the 220, i didn't expect the same packaging, I would made expect a pair of Comply's would be thrown in there for the $30 price increase, but no. It came with the Same carrying case, and the same S, M, and L Size sleeves and that's it. Nothing else. Compared to the Klipsch Image S4, BackBeat Titanium, and Jays j-Jays, these are no where close to being Accessory beasts. But, what can i say. i didn't receive much from the $229.99 dollars UE700, which only had Two Pairs of Comply, Four pairs of Silicone, and a carrying Case.

10062009442.jpg

Fit:

Fit, not the Best for the Price. The old MetroFi 200 had a better fit compared to both the 170 and the 220. The only reason they were really better was because the housing was longer, and didn't push against the outside of your ear. The 170 and 220 are smaller, but the Housing and the nozzle just don't add up to be long enough, and might not reach ears that are deep before the tail of the housing that leads to the cable hits the outside of your ears. Isolation wise, if you get the proper fit. You might at -16db of Isolation from them, but that's nearly nothing when compared to Westones, and Shure's which could offer up to nearly -30db if fitted properly. In the End? Not the most comfortable or isolating earphone on the market.

Looks:

Beautiful. All i can say. The Transparent black on the 170, and the sleek silver on the 220 really are attractive. Teenagers will not find these embarrassing, or ugly to wear at all to school to show of to their friends. Compared to the 100, 150, and 200 from the previous MetroFi Series, These are LOOKERS! Definitely better looking IMO, compared to the ugly shaped Skullcandies out there.

170-1.jpg

220-1.jpg

Conclusion:
Variation: Transparent Black for MF170/ Silver for MF220
Transducer: Single Neodymium Dynamic for MF170
Single Titanium Coated Neodymium Dynamic for MF220
Impedance: (@1kHz) 18ohm for MF170 & MF220
Frequency Range: 10Hz-16.5kHz
Sensitivity (1mW): 103dB SPL/mW for MF170 & MF220
Weight: 12.4 grams
Cord Style: Y-cord
Mini Jack Style: Gold plated Straight (First Gen iPhone Adaptable)
Eartips Used: Single flange
Packaging: 7/10 good looking, but cheap
Build Quality: 8/10
Accessories: 5/10 (Even Some $20 Pair of Earphones have more accessories)
Isolation: 6.5/10 Nothing Special, Only a tad of Isolation.
Microphonics: 7/10 Straight down, 8/10 Over the Ear
Comfort: 7/10
Soundstage: 6/10 for MF170, 6.5 for MF220
Sound Quality: 6.5/10 for MF170, 7/10 for MF220
Value: 7.5/10 for MF170, 7/10 for MF220

Overall, Very nice earphones for the price you pay. However, disappointing on accessories, and many may find Problems with fitting and comfort issues due to the design of the Earphones, and the limited amount of sleeves sizes that are offered. However, if you are coming from stock earbuds or earphones, you definitely want to give these a try if you are on a budget. I would say, If you plan on buying these i would go for the MetroFi 170 first. As the $30 price increase isn't worth for the 220, as they only offer a slightly more detailed low midrange, and a tad more power and speed on the lows. You could definitely get better earphones for the $79.99 dollars on the 220. While the MetroFi170 is bang for the buck, and really is probably one of the better earphones for the price you pay for them. Infact, i find the MetroFi170 offering more detail and midrange when compared to the old top of the line 200, which is surprising. Really, on a budget? give the MetroFi 170 a try!

Have a great day to everyone that's reading this!...well to those that aren't too. =)

If you want more information on a specific part of them compared to a earphone. Feel free to ask in the thread or through messaging on headfi. Cause i'm sure everyone would appreciate that. =)

-Felix

Jun 16, 2009 at 11:17 PM Post #3 of 22
If you want a "darker, warmer, with Metrofi220 Lows with a larger soundstage" alternative to the MetroFi 170, i recommend the Altec Lansing Muzx 136 wood earphones. Which only cost $29.99.

Jun 30, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #5 of 22
can you please tell me how both of these compare to denon c551,head-direct re2 or nuforce ne-7m? i would really like to know. u r saying that the metro.fi 170 is better than the metro.fi 200. that's interesting.

Jun 30, 2009 at 7:57 PM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverlightning_1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can you please tell me how both of these compare to denon c551,head-direct re2 or nuforce ne-7m? i would really like to know. u r saying that the metro.fi 170 is better than the metro.fi 200. that's interesting.

The Denon C551, Re2, Ne-7m all perform better than both these Metro Fi offerings, whether it be high, mids, or lows. I find that the 170 in my opinion offers wider soundstage, a brighter, more detailed soundsignature than the 200. To which i think (On my opnion of course) costing less based on the MSRP, the 170 is a better product for the price.

Jul 1, 2009 at 2:21 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by emann /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do the UE 700's compare to these two models for the price?

They're not even in the same league, the UE700 tramples these two in sound quality, build quality, comfort, and design.

Jul 1, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They're not even in the same league, the UE700 tramples these two in sound quality, build quality, comfort, and design.

O.K. thanks. I feel better about spending the extra $100 or so on them now then.

Jul 1, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #10 of 22
Slightly off topic, but you made a comparison to the Klipsch S4. Have you heard the S4? Nobody has reviewed it here yet. Maybe you'd care to do a review of the S4 as well, or give your impressions.

Thanks.

Jul 2, 2009 at 8:32 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by barleyguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Slightly off topic, but you made a comparison to the Klipsch S4. Have you heard the S4? Nobody has reviewed it here yet. Maybe you'd care to do a review of the S4 as well, or give your impressions.

Thanks.

i've only heard them once from a visiting friend. didn't get a proper thorough listen, only some small tastes

Jul 2, 2009 at 8:34 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by emann /img/forum/go_quote.gif
O.K. thanks. I feel better about spending the extra $100 or so on them now then.

I'm going to make you feel sad by telling you that i prefer the q-jays over these now, and they cost soooo much less...with a whoooooooole collection of accessories...with kevlar Cables...and double the warranty...and Blue, Red, White, or Black to choose from... Sorry!

Jul 29, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #13 of 22
I just ordered a pair of MetroFi 220vi to use with my iPhone on a daily basis - have a pair of Super.fi 5 that I enjoy when using an IEM so I thought I'd stick to the family considering the favorable reviews & decent price (~$70 delivered) plus they look very low profile which is important to me. As soon as these come in and I have a chance to listen to them for a reasonable amount of time I will give my impressions vs my S.f 5 & Grados.

Aug 2, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #14 of 22
Got them in today and so far am not too excited. They seem lifeless and dull but I need to play them with some better quality material and devices before a final verdict. I'm not sure if I have too high of an expectation as both the cans I use on a regular basis are significantly higher end.

For some reason they are uncomfortable even though looking at them they are the same shape/size as my UE Sf5P in the portion that fits in the ear canal.

What's the cheapest BA with mic IEM with a low profile body?

Aug 2, 2009 at 8:12 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icehawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got them in today and so far am not too excited. They seem lifeless and dull but I need to play them with some better quality material and devices before a final verdict. I'm not sure if I have too high of an expectation as both the cans I use on a regular basis are significantly higher end.

For some reason they are uncomfortable even though looking at them they are the same shape/size as my UE Sf5P in the portion that fits in the ear canal.

What's the cheapest BA with mic IEM with a low profile body?

You'll find the Image S2m and the Image S4i to be much better IEMs,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back