Ultimate Ears metro.fi 2 Earphones
Sep 29, 2006 at 11:33 PM Post #16 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by ill_phenom
Wait. Are you implying that these sound better than the k81dj's. If they really do, then there is no way in hell I'm paying $180 for e4cs

I can't wait till somebody does a full review of these.

I'm saying I like them about the same perhaps a bit more.

The E4 is leaps and bounds better in terms of detail, overall frequency response (flatter), attack, decay, etc. If you're a basshead you may really dig the Metro.Fi 2.

If the E4 is a real stretch for you the 3 Studio comes relatively close for less than $100. Yes, the E4 outperforms the 3 Studio in many respects, but if budget is key, the 3 Studio is a real winner. Honestly, I think if I were to choose between the two for straight off an iPod while running around I'd probably go with the 3 Studio. On the other hand, if I'm running amped and will often be sitting down and listening more critically I'd take the E4 hands down.

Sep 29, 2006 at 11:53 PM Post #17 of 46
Thanks a lot, Jasper.
For me at least, IEMs are special application phones. I wouldn't listen to them unless the situation absolutely required it. My boss wouldn't be happy if he saw me with huge cans on my head, so I'd like them for work, and the isolation is also great on a flight or a noisy environment. Hence I'm really just looking for a fun pair of IEMs, and being that I think k81djs are tremendously fun cans, if these compare then I might as well take it easy on the wallet.
I can get all the detail I want when I'm relaxing at home with my 650s.

I looked at the 3 studios, but I heard they have some sort of problem with cable noise, so I'm hoping these fair better

Sep 30, 2006 at 1:10 AM Post #18 of 46
Since you value the super.fi 3 Studios so highly, Jasper, I've been meaning to ask: How do you feel they compare to the super.fi 5 Pros? With all the positivity that's come out of the cable upgrade, I almost get the impression people would favor the 3 Studios over their bigger siblings (which have taken quite a beating on these forums)...Am I wrong? Or should I have sprung for the Studios instead of the Pros?
blink.gif

Sep 30, 2006 at 2:51 AM Post #19 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless
Since you value the super.fi 3 Studios so highly, Jasper, I've been meaning to ask: How do you feel they compare to the super.fi 5 Pros? With all the positivity that's come out of the cable upgrade, I almost get the impression people would favor the 3 Studios over their bigger siblings (which have taken quite a beating on these forums)...Am I wrong? Or should I have sprung for the Studios instead of the Pros?
blink.gif

The cable change/upgrade has nothing to do with the sound. UE actually tweaked the sound at one point (which was about or at the same time they changed to the 2.0 cable). A little birdy told me they ported the driver, but I have not actually confirmed that with anyone at UE. At any rate, the new 3 Studio is very nice with much better bass than it used to have. They also got rid of the upper mids harshness that it used to exhibit. As far as comparing the 3 Studio to the 5 Pro, I still like the 5 Pro better, but the margin is much smaller than it used to be. Do I think the 5 Pro is worth the extra cash, yeah, I sure do. The interesting thing is that when I'm out and about and not using the UE-10s, the IEM I most often pick up is the 5 Pro. I think this is mostly a combination of comfort, ease of insertion/removal, and the fact that I've become quite accustomed to the UE sound. Regardless, I really dig the 5 Pro, it's a great universal IEM, and I'm really excited to be hearing the Triple.Fi 10 Pro on Wednesday.
biggrin.gif

Sep 30, 2006 at 1:36 PM Post #20 of 46
so hmm. Where can I buy these?

Sep 30, 2006 at 7:38 PM Post #22 of 46
ok, i REALLY want those!

just saw them at ilounge and was gonna make a post, but i see there already is one.

how did the user in the portable thread get a pair already?

right now i have the 5eb's and i like the bass response, decent mids, and non-fatigueing highs. BUT they're just too fragile (haven't broken mine yet, though
smily_headphones1.gif
) i just can't wrap them around my ipod and throw them in my pocket
frown.gif

i was an ex71 user and i liked their form, but the highs were terrible, and the ones i had (and i've seen about 4 other pairs do it) the cord just fell apart. i've heard this has been remedied now, but i don't think i could deal with their sound anymore.

recently i've started using the griffin earthumps as much or more than my super.fi's just because they are durable and fit easily in my pocket. they do sound quite bad, and the eartips aren't that comfy.
smily_headphones1.gif

so, jasper, do you think the metro.fi would fit the bill for me? i like the super.fi's tips comfort and these look quite durable and small. i have to say i absolutely love the look! i also like bass, so do you think these would be a good purchase for me?

also, these are single driver's, correct? are they armatures or diaphrams? when will they be available?

Sep 30, 2006 at 10:57 PM Post #23 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by xluben
...recently i've started using the griffin earthumps as much or more than my super.fi's just because they are durable...

What do you find fragile about the UE Super.fi?

Sep 30, 2006 at 11:03 PM Post #24 of 46
not necessarily fragile, but they are quite large and the memory wire sticks out, so they wouldn't fit very well in my pocket. i don't really feel comfortable sticking something that expensive in my pocket either. i would alway either leave them hanging in front of me (up through my shirt) or put them in the metal case. just not convinient enough if you have to do lots of on and off with them. (i use them on campus so it's 15 min on, 50 min off a few times a day).

Sep 30, 2006 at 11:04 PM Post #25 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey
There had been some cracking issues with the casing a while back, but UE came out with a new version that appears to have addressed this issue.

yeah, mine have never cracked, but they do seem to have resolved the problem.

Sep 30, 2006 at 11:04 PM Post #26 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by peter_m
What do you find fragile about the UE Super.fi?

There had been some cracking issues with the casing a while back, but UE came out with a new version that appears to have addressed this issue.

Sep 30, 2006 at 11:39 PM Post #28 of 46
I love my super.fi 3s but lately I've been wanting a bit more bass. I have the original clear ones, does anybody know if the new improved heavier bass version is out in clear?

Sep 30, 2006 at 11:58 PM Post #29 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by xluben
ok, i REALLY want those!

just saw them at ilounge and was gonna make a post, but i see there already is one.

how did the user in the portable thread get a pair already?

right now i have the 5eb's and i like the bass response, decent mids, and non-fatigueing highs. BUT they're just too fragile (haven't broken mine yet, though
smily_headphones1.gif
) i just can't wrap them around my ipod and throw them in my pocket
frown.gif

i was an ex71 user and i liked their form, but the highs were terrible, and the ones i had (and i've seen about 4 other pairs do it) the cord just fell apart. i've heard this has been remedied now, but i don't think i could deal with their sound anymore.

recently i've started using the griffin earthumps as much or more than my super.fi's just because they are durable and fit easily in my pocket. they do sound quite bad, and the eartips aren't that comfy.
smily_headphones1.gif

so, jasper, do you think the metro.fi would fit the bill for me? i like the super.fi's tips comfort and these look quite durable and small. i have to say i absolutely love the look! i also like bass, so do you think these would be a good purchase for me?

also, these are single driver's, correct? are they armatures or diaphrams? when will they be available?

Yeah, you'll probably dig them, though they don't have as much bass as the EB. Then again, what does...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back