Ultimate Ears metro.fi 2 Earphones
Sep 29, 2006 at 8:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

jadalias

100+ Head-Fier
I don't know if anybody saw this yet:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/ipo...i-2-earphones/

Looks like a low budget product to compete with Sony, Altec Lansing and Sennheiser.

It kind of looks like a miniature version of my wife's blowdryer. The new UE BlowDryer.

Sep 29, 2006 at 8:23 PM Post #2 of 46
Actually those have been spotted in the wild. In the 'Show Us Your Portable Rig' thread.

headfi_nytmarezz_portable_9-06.jpg

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showp...&postcount=894

Sep 29, 2006 at 8:23 PM Post #3 of 46
Well, well...Looks like UE's tackling both ends of the spectrum at once. We're surrounded! Thanks for posting this, jadalias. But one thing: Shouldn't they be Ultimate Ears blower.fi 2s?

Sep 29, 2006 at 8:29 PM Post #4 of 46
Yeah, I saw that in the portable rigs thread and awaited word as to What they were.

blower.fi! Fantastic.

I just wonder if they'll be able to touch the Altec Lansing IM716, which imo is the best IEM for less than the ER4-P.

Sep 29, 2006 at 8:45 PM Post #5 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by jadalias
I just wonder if they'll be able to touch the Altec Lansing IM716, which imo is the best IEM for less than the ER4-P.

If the price, the competition bracket, and UE's previous offerings are any indication...probably not. I'll admit the iM716 sound signature is not quite my style, but many around here find them superior to even the super.fi 5 Pros in terms of musical reproduction. For the blower.fis (heh) to best the iM716s, they'd have to outshine another product in Ultimate Ears line, one which is already placed two steps above. In short, I can't see UE's second-best universal IEM being its least expensive (as much as I want to...).

Sep 29, 2006 at 9:28 PM Post #6 of 46
so how does this compare with the super.fi 3? its in the same pricerange after all

Sep 29, 2006 at 9:34 PM Post #7 of 46
The bass on these things is pretty sick, but they're a little harsh in the upper mids. Still, I'd take these over the K 81 DJ. They're very comfortable, and look pretty damn slick in person.

FWIW Tyll mentioned that he likes them better than the E2.

Sep 29, 2006 at 10:09 PM Post #9 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
The bass on these things is pretty sick, but they're a little harsh in the upper mids. Still, I'd take these over the K 81 DJ. They're very comfortable, and look pretty damn slick in person.

FWIW Tyll mentioned that he likes them better than the E2.

what do you mean by "pretty sick"? is that a good or a bad thing?
etysmile.gif

hmm.. how about comparing it with the cx300?

Sep 29, 2006 at 10:11 PM Post #10 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by dranoel4190
etysmile.gif

"Pretty sick" means good! Just like "bitchin" in "The Triple.fi 10 Pros are bitchin'!"
tongue.gif

I think they are a direct challenge to Senn's CX300. They look similar and are 'round about the same price range. This should be an interesting one.

Sep 29, 2006 at 10:15 PM Post #12 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by dranoel4190
etysmile.gif

It's a very good thing...
biggrin.gif

I've never heard the cx300.

Honestly though, the best thing I've heard in the sub $100 category is the Super.Fi 3 Studio. For reference I've heard: ER6i, ER6, E2, Metro.Fi 2, and the 3 Studio. I'd even venture to say (though I've never compared them directly) that I prefer the 3 Studio to the HD280 Pro and the SR-60 (though both are probably a bit more detailed) overall.

Disclaimer: You may prefer any of the above for a variety of reasons though since all are a compromise in one way or another. For example, someone might prefer the Metro.Fi 2 to the 3 Studio if they like a lot of bass. Someone else may prefer the ER6i if they like the slight jump in detail to the more lively and fun sound of the 3 Studio.

Sep 29, 2006 at 10:27 PM Post #13 of 46
Jasper994, does the upper-mid harshness of the metro.fis lend itself to ssssibilance?

With these and the d-JAYS on the horizon, it looks like the budget in-ear front is starting to heat up.
etysmile.gif
(We really need some new canalphone smilies...)

CORRECTION: With the d-JAYS shipping...

Sep 29, 2006 at 11:24 PM Post #14 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
Still, I'd take these over the K 81 DJ..

Wait. Are you implying that these sound better than the k81dj's. If they really do, then there is no way in hell I'm paying $180 for e4cs

I can't wait till somebody does a full review of these.

Sep 29, 2006 at 11:29 PM Post #15 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless
Jasper994, does the upper-mid harshness of the metro.fis lend itself to ssssibilance?

With these and the d-JAYS on the horizon, it looks like the budget in-ear front is starting to heat up.
etysmile.gif
(We really need some new canalphone smilies...)

CORRECTION: With the d-JAYS shipping...

A bit... It's not worse than the K81DJ though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back