Ultimate Ears In-Ear Reference Monitors Review
Nov 20, 2013 at 4:55 AM Post #436 of 733
For those who want to learn more about the UERM and/or looking to purchase/demo them.. I highly suggest contacting UE Sales rep/Head-Fi member CEE TEE.  He's extremely knowledgeable about UE and a guy who's as nice as they come..  I can't make any guarantees, but he may be able to offer the RM at a discount.

wink_face.gif

Nov 20, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #437 of 733
Anyone here own UERM and listen to Fitears MH335DW? or own both of them?

Nov 20, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #438 of 733
Am I the only one who's heard the UERM that thinks they are wonderfully engaging and musical?

It redefined what I thought of neutral(ish) sound and realigned my expectations for IEM sound in general.

I'm sure most people here would agree that they are engaging and musical including me. They are definitely my favorite customs right now especially since my V6 Stage and JH13 are getting refits done. I've been thinking about sending my UERM to CustomArt to get them to do a silicone reshell but maybe I'll wait until the warranty is over. 

Nov 21, 2013 at 7:30 AM Post #439 of 733
For me it's all a matter of what other iem you can compare it to. In my case it's the JH 10x3 and SE-5.

Even though UERM isn't much cheaper than the SE-5 (~ 1100 vs 1300 €) here in Europe, it doesn't come close to the SE-5, esp. in the bass, attack/decay and presentation depth. The UERM sounds quite samey on each recording (treble is always empasized), while the SE-5 sounds quite different on each track.

The JH 10x3 (~ 800 €) is more exciting than the UERM with a slight focus on bass instead of treble, which is sparkly but inoffensive. The 10x3 has less depth but approx. the same width in soundstage but less air between instruments. The whole presentation is more forward and engaging. The bass isn't the cleanest compared to the SE-5. The mids, however, can keep up very well with faster music - they're just not as micro-detailed as the SE-5's. Less than ideal recordings don't sound as bad as with the SE-5. Not suited for classical / jazz / etc because of the missing soundstage depth and missing air between instruments.

If you don't care about bass and want to have empasized treble and laid-back presentation, the UERM might be for you.

Nov 21, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #440 of 733
  For me it's all a matter of what other iem you can compare it to. In my case it's the JH 10x3 and SE-5.

Even though UERM isn't much cheaper than the SE-5 (~ 1100 vs 1300 €) here in Europe, it doesn't come close to the SE-5, esp. in the bass, attack/decay and presentation depth. The UERM sounds quite samey on each recording (treble is always empasized), while the SE-5 sounds quite different on each track.

The JH 10x3 (~ 800 €) is more exciting than the UERM with a slight focus on bass instead of treble, which is sparkly but inoffensive. The 10x3 has less depth but approx. the same width in soundstage but less air between instruments. The whole presentation is more forward and engaging. The bass isn't the cleanest compared to the SE-5. The mids, however, can keep up very well with faster music - they're just not as micro-detailed as the SE-5's. Less than ideal recordings don't sound as bad as with the SE-5. Not suited for classical / jazz / etc because of the missing soundstage depth and missing air between instruments.

If you don't care about bass and want to have empasized treble and laid-back presentation, the UERM might be for you.

Hmm. Don't care about bass doesn't sound right. UERM has wonderful bass. It's just not as strong as some might prefer.

Nov 21, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #442 of 733
The UERM bass rolls off a bit early. That would be my only complaint about the bass.

Nov 21, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #443 of 733

This is why I consider the UERM a monitoring device first, and a listening device second (and I use them for both).  The JH's and SE's are for listening, period.

Not a knock on the UERM at all, they are just about perfect for their intended purpose: a flat, uncolored representation of the recorded material.

Nov 21, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #444 of 733

This is why I consider the UERM a monitoring device first, and a listening device second (and I use them for both).  The JH's and SE's are for listening, period.

Not a knock on the UERM at all, they are just about perfect for their intended purpose: a flat, uncolored representation of the recorded material.

I agree with you. UERM as a monitoring device is unmatched.

When it comes to listening device, there are many other options available out there.

Nov 22, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #447 of 733
Has anyone gotten the chance to compare the UERM and GR07? Really want the UERM but its way outside my budget, trying to figure out how close I can get without breaking the bank...

It's likely all intangibles at this point. Seriously. You won't be quantifying details or soundstage size not $700 more. Try to get a demo if you can.

From memory, they sound almost nothing alike. You're paying more not for tons more detail retrieval or anything like that. You're paying because you there's no other IEM with this sound and if you want it, that's the price premium. That's how I see it at least.

And I loved it enough on the demo to put serious consideration into buying one.

Nov 22, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #449 of 733

Users who are viewing this thread

Back