Ultimate Ears In-Ear Reference Monitors Review
Nov 18, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #407 of 733
I find the UERM to be very neutral and as others have said, a tool for critical evaluation. On the other hand, the 18s I auditioned produced a glorious sound. I was tempted to go for those but went with neutral. Not sure if I made the right call. In comparison, my Fostex TH900 produce that satisfying, beautiful sound that makes listening a pleasure and these days I reserve the UERM for travel, on the go use. 

Nov 18, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #408 of 733
  Good eye.  I had UE build my IEM with the legacy recessed socket / connector for cable compatibility with my UE10.  

Ah I had no idea UE would do that. I think I would have preferred that than the connector that sticks out.

I find the UERM to be very neutral and as others have said, a tool for critical evaluation. On the other hand, the 18s I auditioned produced a glorious sound. I was tempted to go for those but went with neutral. Not sure if I made the right call. In comparison, my Fostex TH900 produce that satisfying, beautiful sound that makes listening a pleasure and these days I reserve the UERM for travel, on the go use. 

The UERM is probably the most neutral piece of gear that I own. However if that's good for you or not it is up to you. I remember hearing a demo of the UE18 when I bought the UERM and found that it would be a more popular signature than the UERM as a lot of people I know would rather have something more colored than neutral.

Nov 18, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #409 of 733
I erred on the side of neutrality since I am suspicious of sound that is too beautiful. It would be great to have both, though. 

Nov 19, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #410 of 733
Am I the only one who's heard the UERM that thinks they are wonderfully engaging and musical?

It redefined what I thought of neutral(ish) sound and realigned my expectations for IEM sound in general.

Nov 19, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #411 of 733
I do find the UERMs engaging in that they do not mask anything. I like that. This is why I opted for the RMs over the 18s. I also felt that the bass on the 18s was a bit loose and the soundstage was a bit too deep. Perhaps it depends on what you listen for. Some people absolutely prioritize midrange purity, others bass slam or treble extension. 

I do like accurate treble and properly damped bass and pursue neutrality in my loudspeaker/main system and I guess this same preference manifests itself in my earphone listening...

Nov 19, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #415 of 733
Nov 19, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #417 of 733
  Haha. Was there a universal version going around or?

There was a UERM/TFRM tour. Rin modded a pair of TF10 to have similar sound sig to UERM, and had that and universal UERM on a tour.

But seriously, you have to try the UERM. It's so delicate. Hah. Idk how to word it. It's smooth, liquid, natural, engaging, clear.....

Nov 19, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #420 of 733
There was a UERM/TFRM tour. Rin modded a pair of TF10 to have similar sound sig to UERM, and had that and universal UERM on a tour.

But seriously, you have to try the UERM. It's so delicate. Hah. Idk how to word it. It's smooth, liquid, natural, engaging, clear.....

Yes yes yes yes yes

Yet can be incredibly crisp, while being liquid and smooth. I don't even...
You're not helping!

Lol. Don't stress over it.
Why don't you buy UERM and sell some of your other gears? That's always an option. I do that a lot.

I'm about to consider this. I just can't justify $999 for happiness yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back