Ultimate Ears In-Ear Reference Monitors Review
Nov 6, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #391 of 733
I'm loving my UERM so far. I find it be be the CIEM version of the HD800...with a little EXTRA detail.

Nov 6, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #392 of 733
Yes, the hd800s are really like the UERMs on steroids. 

Nov 14, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #393 of 733
  Yes, the hd800s are really like the UERMs on steroids. 

I have the UERMs and love them, but I was thinking of picking up the HD800s because I've heard such great things about them and I'd like a top of the line over-the-ear headphone. But is it too similar an experience to the UERMs to merit the cost? Am I better off purchasing a pair of LCD-3s if I'm looking for a new perspective?

Nov 14, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #394 of 733

I have the UERMs and love them, but I was thinking of picking up the HD800s because I've heard such great things about them and I'd like a top of the line over-the-ear headphone. But is it too similar an experience to the UERMs to merit the cost? Am I better off purchasing a pair of LCD-3s if I'm looking for a new perspective?

I wouldn't say that they're too similar an experience. Modded, the hd800s have a very similar sound signature to the uerms but excels in everything imo. If you're looking for a new sound, then go for the LCD-3s but if you already know what kind of sound you're after, and love the uerms, then definitely HD800s is the way to go. Build yourself a rig around the hd800s and you'll be set.

Nov 16, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #395 of 733

The HD 800 with the proper amplification is in another league compared to the UERMs.  I have both.  The soundstage alone on the HD800 is way way beyond anything the UERMs can do.  The bass is extended and more pronounced in the HD800.  And the detail is off the charts on the HD800.  But you need top-of-the-line amplification to get there.  

I have a Woo Audio WA5LE driving my HD800 with pricey tubes.  The amp doesn't do much for the UERMs (nor should it) but it takes the HD800 into the upper echelon of head-fi.  

Under basic amplification, however, the HD800 isn't all that special.

I view the UERMs as a proper monitoring device first, a listening device second.  The HD800 is a listening device, period.  I wouldn't mix on them.

Nov 16, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #396 of 733
Thanks so much for the feedback! As a follow-up question, would the new Centrance Hi-Fi M8 come close to cutting it as "top of the line amplification"? I don't have a dedicated desktop set-up, but I've been hearing good things about the M8 and HD800's (and I have a M8 on order to replace my Fostex HP-P1).

Nov 16, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #397 of 733
Anyone know if UE has something akin to a Black Friday or holiday sale?

Nov 16, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #398 of 733
I'd be interested in getting a hi-fi m8 as well, but the lack of coaxial input is holding me back. I'd like to use my dx50 with it if possible.

Nov 16, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #399 of 733
i like it very much,The UERM and LS8 can be considered competitors for the audiophile as well as recording engineer.  Both present music in a similar but slightly different way and I can see the two being preferred depending on genre and preference.  It comes down to wanting more treble and/or an analytical sound (UERM) or a smoother, warmer, and thicker presentation (LS8) that is more forgiving of poorly mastered tracks.thank you
hDIQWz

Nov 16, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #400 of 733
Anyone know if UE has something akin to a Black Friday or holiday sale?

UE never really does any sales. The only time is if there is some kind of show where they offer a discount if bought there.

As far as the HD800 imo it doesn't have to be amazing amplification to be better than the UERM. I have a pretty modest HD800 compared to some members here. My Anedio D1 as my dac and amp is easily better than the UERM. 

Nov 16, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #401 of 733
UE never really does any sales. The only time is if there is some kind of show where they offer a discount if bought there.

Was hoping that was not the case. Thanks.

The demo's I heard have been haunting me. Sigh.

Sooo any UE reps know of any events the company will be attending near the New York City area in the near (or distant) future? :smile:

Nov 16, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #402 of 733
Thanks so much for the feedback! As a follow-up question, would the new Centrance Hi-Fi M8 come close to cutting it as "top of the line amplification"? I don't have a dedicated desktop set-up, but I've been hearing good things about the M8 and HD800's (and I have a M8 on order to replace my Fostex HP-P1).

I run my UERM balanced out of the M8 (and 5G Touch) and it sounds stellar.  Just beautifully clear, strong, and musical.  

Nov 17, 2013 at 7:23 AM Post #403 of 733

As far as the HD800 imo it doesn't have to be amazing amplification to be better than the UERM. I have a pretty modest HD800 compared to some members here. My Anedio D1 as my dac and amp is easily better than the UERM. 

Agreed, I'd say just using the dx50 and uha-6s to power my hd800s is already better than the uerms haha.

Was hoping that was not the case. Thanks.

The demo's I heard have been haunting me. Sigh.

Sooo any UE reps know of any events the company will be attending near the New York City area in the near (or distant) future?
smile.gif

Well, the last NY meet was just last week... so I'd reckon you'll have to wait til the next NY meet during the Spring.

I run my UERM balanced out of the M8 (and 5G Touch) and it sounds stellar.  Just beautifully clear, strong, and musical.  

Nice! Seems a bit bulky for a portable though haha, with the 2x-3pin XLR. I've read that BAs can't benefit from balanced drive. Could anyone elaborate more on that? Or can you perhaps do a comparison between balanced and SE?

Nov 17, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #404 of 733
Nice! Seems a bit bulky for a portable though haha, with the 2x-3pin XLR. I've read that BAs can't benefit from balanced drive. Could anyone elaborate more on that? Or can you perhaps do a comparison between balanced and SE?

It is bulky and looks completely ridiculous.  I love it.

I previously had a belt tied around my Transporter and Emotiva Mini-X amp.  Carrying that around got old, so the M8 is an ergonomic upgrade.  
biggrin.gif

I first used balanced cables with my UE10s years ago, and heard how they wonderfully responded to / scaled up to balanced power.  The UERMs are no different.  And given that this $100 Headphone lounge cable is a mere 5% of the total package cost, it's an inexpensive upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back