Ultimate Ears In-Ear Reference Monitors Review
Nov 23, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #451 of 733
  For those who want to learn more about the UERM and/or looking to purchase/demo them.. I highly suggest contacting UE Sales rep/Head-Fi member CEE TEE.  He's extremely knowledgeable about UE and a guy who's as nice as they come..  I can't make any guarantees, but he may be able to offer the RM at a discount.

wink_face.gif

I can't echo this enough. CEE TEE is incredibly knowledgeable and not only was able to relate my tastes and his in order guide me to the right decision, he helped me through the entire process and made absolutely certain I was making the right product choice despite me being hell bent on getting the UERM from the start. I'd recommend anyone contact him if they're looking for customs.

Dec 4, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #452 of 733
  Anyone here own UERM and listen to Fitears MH335DW? or own both of them?

Heard the 335DW Demo before, using IERM w/ TWcu V3 everyday with AK100.

335DW extracted even more details and sounded more forward then IERM.
It is one custom monitor with exceptional clarity and excitement to listen to,
The tonality is definitely not dead-on flat, but it is within reasonable range as I consider it more of a "fun" custom monitor
But the presentation is way too forward for me, I suspect I can't listen to it for long time.
Technically IERM will be inferior to 335DW in most aspects, but its tonality and presentation seemed more reasonable to me.
Perhaps I'm just too used to IERM's sound?
popcorn.gif

Dec 4, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #453 of 733

Heard the 335DW Demo before, using IERM w/ TWcu V3 everyday with AK100.

335DW extracted even more details and sounded more forward then IERM.
It is one custom monitor with exceptional clarity and excitement to listen to,
The tonality is definitely not dead-on flat, but it is within reasonable range as I consider it more of a "fun" custom monitor
But the presentation is way too forward for me, I suspect I can't listen to it for long time.
Technically IERM will be inferior to 335DW in most aspects, but its tonality and presentation seemed more reasonable to me.
Perhaps I'm just too used to IERM's sound?
popcorn.gif

beerchug.gif
 Wow, exactly like what i felt when i tested the demo MH335DW too.

I am using IERM with ipod class everyday too. I like the forward sound, i heard that this is the signature of Japan sound. You will feel that the music sings right at your ears, very close distance. I would like to test it again during Mook Headphone Festival in SG very soon ob 13 to 15 Dec 2013 to see whether i can listen it for long time or not. I hate fatigue too. 

Dec 30, 2013 at 2:03 AM Post #454 of 733
I've just put in a couple of weeks with my second pair of UERM's. The seal was not good on my first pair which resulted in very weak bass. This was not a subtle thing. The team at Ultimate Ears did everything in their power to make it right. Now they stretch my ears a little going in, but once in place are comfortable for hours. I'll probably get better at inserting them as time goes by.
With this second pair I can't imagine a better headphone for someone who wants to know what the musicians recorded. They entire audio chain from microphone to your ears is revealed in excellent detail, and any cheating along the way is absolutely apparent. If you want to hear the subway passing under the symphony orchestra, or the chairs creaking in Muddy Waters, Folks Singer, they're completely obvious. Punch-ins on the vocal track? Thunk!
But also what is obvious is when a guitarist moves from string to string in a solo. When she's finger picking and when she's using a pick. Fender or Gibson. Big or small bodied acoustic. 
For me that is the highest compliment I can give a pair of headphones. The UERM's do exactly what they say they do, and do it better than I thought possible. 
Yes, some records are mixed in a room with a lot of bass and you need to use a little EQ on those disks to make them sound 'right'. But these IEM's take EQ very well. 
I've heard people say they're too 'analytical' but for me there's no such thing. Hearing the nuances of the performance is fascinating. To my ears this is just superior engineering. The trade offs are too trivial to mention. 
I'll go back and edit previous posts based on this second pair. 

Dec 30, 2013 at 2:20 AM Post #455 of 733
Just a quick note about making good impressions (sic!).
The first time I went I had the feeling that I was underwater when she first filled my ears with the goo, but by the time it dried sound was leaking in. I didn't say anything about it but my first pair did not have a good seal, which resulted in very weak bass. The second time the 'underwater' feeling lasted until the audiologist removed the impressions and the balance is night and day better in my second pair. 
Lesson: You'll save yourself a lot of time and energy if you speak up if the seal is broken when the impressions are made. A big thanks to the team at UE for doing their job twice to make mine right. 
HTH

Dec 30, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #457 of 733
  Just a quick note about making good impressions (sic!).
The first time I went I had the feeling that I was underwater when she first filled my ears with the goo, but by the time it dried sound was leaking in. I didn't say anything about it but my first pair did not have a good seal, which resulted in very weak bass. The second time the 'underwater' feeling lasted until the audiologist removed the impressions and the balance is night and day better in my second pair. 
Lesson: You'll save yourself a lot of time and energy if you speak up if the seal is broken when the impressions are made. A big thanks to the team at UE for doing their job twice to make mine right. 
HTH

So true on the impressions...if you don't get a seal from the impression, how can the finished CIEM seal?  And I do agree, UE does an excellent job in customer service.

Just bought another cable for my UERM. I tried getting rid of the memory wire and failed...
:frowning2: that was a waste of time and money.

What failed, the removal process, or once it was removed were there issues with the cable?  Did you get another UE cable?

Dec 30, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #458 of 733
So true on the impressions...if you don't get a seal from the impression, how can the finished CIEM seal?  And I do agree, UE does an excellent job in customer service.

What failed, the removal process, or once it was removed were there issues with the cable?  Did you get another UE cable?

I damaged the cable while removing the memory wire :frowning2: I just got another UE stock cable. I could've gotten a custom cable for similar price, but I love the stock cable.

Dec 30, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #459 of 733
The stock cable is excellent, indeed. I like the memory stuff, though.

Dec 30, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #460 of 733
I damaged the cable while removing the memory wire :frowning2: I just got another UE stock cable. I could've gotten a custom cable for similar price, but I love the stock cable.

The stock cable is a cool one, and maybe even, dare I say, sexy. I remember it being smartphone case friendly... Is that right?

Dec 30, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #461 of 733
The stock cable is a cool one, and maybe even, dare I say, sexy. I remember it being smartphone case friendly... Is that right?

Hmm In a way. But yeah. Stock cable is very good. They also measure insanely well according to Rin's measurements. Better then $200-300 custom cables! Now that I tried the cable without memory wire, I think I do like the memory wire.

Dec 30, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #463 of 733
Dec 30, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #464 of 733
My clear cable shows signs of oxidation after only a few months. Should I replace it?
TIA

Dec 30, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #465 of 733
The UERMs still remain my best audio purchase to this day... just perfect tonal balance to my ears.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back