Ultimate Ears In-Ear Reference Monitors or Sennheiser IE80s?
May 3, 2012 at 12:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

vigotone

Head-Fier
I know, two VERY different choices, and two very different prices. But assuming I could afford either one, which would be the better choice?

I try to listen to well-mastered music, often hi-res, and almost exclusively rock. I will mostly use these with the Fostex HP-P1 and either my iPhone or iPad playing Apple Lossless files.

I can't really pinpoint what kind of sound I prefer (accurate, colored, etc.), I just want it to sound great. Also isolation is important to me, both in blocking out ambient noise, as well as not leaking sound if I'm listening while lying in bed next to the Mrs.

I've read reviews of both, and both seem stellar, but I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

May 4, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #3 of 24
Quote:
I know, two VERY different choices, and two very different prices. But assuming I could afford either one, which would be the better choice?
I try to listen to well-mastered music, often hi-res, and almost exclusively rock. I will mostly use these with the Fostex HP-P1 and either my iPhone or iPad playing Apple Lossless files.
I can't really pinpoint what kind of sound I prefer (accurate, colored, etc.), I just want it to sound great. Also isolation is important to me, both in blocking out ambient noise, as well as not leaking sound if I'm listening while lying in bed next to the Mrs.
I've read reviews of both, and both seem stellar, but I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

Here's your problem.

May 4, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #4 of 24
Not sure that's a problem, in that I'm open to different tonalities. Since I do seek out well-mastered recordings and listen to a great deal of hi-res, I do want a pair that showcases that enhanced resolution.

What I am sure of is that this is the first time I've asked for advice here and your condescending response didn't help a bit.

May 4, 2012 at 2:35 AM Post #5 of 24
If you had done thorough searching of the site, you would note that the IE80 isn't known for its resolving prowess. That would automatically remove it from your list based on what you tell us you are looking for.   They also are rather tricky in the fit department, so isolation is going to suffer as well, but you know this already since you've read reviews of it. The two you picked are opposites of each other sonically as well...   You're off to a bad start so far...

May 4, 2012 at 2:48 AM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Assuming you want to hear what the mastering engineers intended for you to hear, grab the UERM! It's a safer bet and dynamic IEMs don't isolate/seal as well as BA IEMs or Customs. 

May 5, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Here's your problem.

X2. If you have no destination, you'll never get there. And spend a lot of $$$. What I think is great and what you think is great are probably two different things. I like warm, lush, and colored, with crisp bass and rolled off highs.  If you ask for that, or something as specific, you'll get much better input.

May 5, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #9 of 24
I appreciate that. Honestly, I don't have enough experience to be able to articulate my needs as well as you just did. I look for detail and presence, a "you are there" type of feel. I lean towards hi-res music because I love hearing those minute details that would otherwise pass us by: the plucking of guitar strings, the stick hitting the drumhead, etc.

It seems like the UERMs would be a good fit for me because of their accuracy: since I already seek out well-mastered music, they will reveal what the mastering engineers intended.

Again, thanks everybody.

May 6, 2012 at 2:37 AM Post #10 of 24
The UERM are much higher resolution sounding CIEMs than IE80 and they will match better with your current portable setup.

May 6, 2012 at 9:04 AM Post #11 of 24
I have not heard the UERMs, but I would think the UM Merlin or JH16 would be a better comparison than the IE80s. But if you like bass, then you should go for the IE80s. 

May 8, 2012 at 9:46 AM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

x 3...

My suggestion to you is.. try to demo them or as many as you could in a shop.. or if you are new, try to get all famous and popular earphone to compare in A/B.

You would know which sound you like the most. Hheeee Haaaaaaaaaa!

May 8, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #14 of 24
Welcome to UERM family group.

I am waiting for my pair to be arrived too. Yesterday they just received my ear impression parcel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back