Ultimate Ears FITS - "Instant Fit" Wireless Earbuds
Oct 28, 2020 at 2:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Head-Fier
These look like they are targeted for iPhone wireless earbud use:

https://custom.ultimateears.com/pages/ue-fits

ue.png

uefit.png

What's interesting is the "Instant Fit" custom shapes to your ears in 60 seconds. Maybe this Lightform techology has potential to be used for Universals in the future?

Mold.png

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #2 of 29
I bought a pair to try them out. Not sure when they are going to ship.

Oct 28, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #4 of 29
I would have bought them if there was an ambient mode :/
Yeah, that's the biggest downside. I don't expect the sound to be much better than the Airpod Pros. Was planning to use them for phone calls or using them to listen to audio from video streaming services like Netflix where audio quality isn't the main requirement. I don't think they can be serious contenders against the Airpod Pros without an ambient mode or sidetone.

Oct 28, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #5 of 29
I would have bought them if there was an ambient mode :/
I did speak to an Ultimate Ears dealer who tried the custom fit technology and was unwhelmed by it. He showed me the actual IEMs for a normal UE custom fit vs one of these DIY kits and they definitely looked different. It's a great idea though. When it first was announced, I thought it was a DIY kit for custom ear sleeves for other brand IEMs. I got that wrong.

Oct 28, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #6 of 29
This seems like new technology. Where the mould adjusts to your ears in 60 seconds and then hardens. It's not the custom fit / diy kit.

PRO == 3D Scan Digital Impressions

CSX == Custom Kit

FITS == Lightform

All different technologies.

The FITS utilizes a single DD for SQ. I'm interested in the dual microphones to reduce wind noise for calls.

I missed out on the $219 pre-order price, so will wait and see.

If someone else uses the FITS down the road, I believe you can get new tips and start the "Instant Fit" process all over.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #7 of 29
This seems like new technology. Where the mould adjusts to your ears in 60 seconds and then hardens. It's not the custom fit / diy kit.

PRO == 3D Scan Digital Impressions

CSX == Custom Kit

FITS == Instant Fit

All different technologies.

The FITS utilizes a single DD for SQ. I'm interested in the dual microphones to reduce wind noise for calls.

I missed out on the $219 pre-order price, so will wait and see.

If someone else uses the FITS down the road, I believe you can get new tips and start the "Instant Fit" process all over.
I’ll post a review once I get them. I was a pre-launch early adopter so I got a $159 rate.

Oct 28, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #10 of 29
The UE Fits app for Android and iOS connects the earphones to your phone, then walks you through the custom molding process. The eartips are made of photopolymer, a gel that reacts to light. There’s an outer layer of soft silicone that actually makes contact with the ear. The photopolymer is malleable, and once the app triggers the customization process, tiny LEDs inside the earpieces activate the photopolymer gel, and it hardens within 60 seconds. You’ll feel the eartips warming in your ears during this process (not distressingly so), and when it’s all done, you have custom-molded earphones..

Do the eartips feel like custom-molded pro-level in-ears? Not quite, but the in-ear seal is excellent, and there’s definitely a difference between when you put them in before they've been molded and how they feel after the molding process. The translucent eartips still feel soft before and after—it's the internal polymer gel that hardens. The end result isn't as snug as a pair made from impressions taken by an audiologist, which actually enter the ear canal and create a seal that would be near-impossible with this methodology, but this is no gimmick.

https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/ultimate-ears-ue-fits

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2020 at 8:36 PM Post #12 of 29
Anyone had a chance to listen to these? I'm definitely curious as my ears can be little difficult to fit.
I'm still waiting on shipment of the product I purchase forever ago. Ultimate Ears sent me an email saying they were delayed. They promised shipment "late" Fall. They make it sound like there is so much demand that they can't keep up like Apple. My guess is they still don't have the product working.

Dec 25, 2020 at 7:32 AM Post #13 of 29
Have a pair on order and they shipped. Delivery date is estimated for Jan 4. Have UE11Pros (with MMCX connectors) for years that I use while working out and want these as a backup. I have tried many IEMs over the years but never seem to get a consistent fit and that kills the SQ no matter how good they are.

Screen Shot 2020-12-25 at 7.26.48 AM.png

Dec 25, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #15 of 29
Something that surprised me is the driver used. When I ordered I assumed it would be an armature. It is not listed in the Specs. Since then they have added some FAQ and it states that are a 10mm dynamic driver. Seems that a 10mm dynamic would be space hungry and less efficient. Since they use armatures on their other IEMs what are the consequences of going dynamic for the FITS?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back