Ultimate Ears Custom cable line faulty?
Sep 7, 2008 at 3:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

BIGtrouble77

100+ Head-Fier
I've had UE10pros for over 2 years now. I've been through about a dozen cables in that time, no joke. Happens like clockwork, after about 3 months one of the monitors start cutting out until it stops working completely.

My hypothesis is that the wire that bends around the ear is somehow shorting the signal- After a few months the 'plug' wears a bit and flexes. Once I replace the wire everything works great for another 3 months.
UE insists that this is not common. Fortunately, They have been nice about it, I've only paid for one wire replacement so far. I'm out of warranty to I'm not expecting them to do this forever. I'm just sick of dealing with this. A big reason why I bought these monitors was because the wire is replaceable- big mistake.

Anyway, has anyone else had this problem?

-bt

Sep 7, 2008 at 2:20 PM Post #2 of 18
Have you tried the old and the new type of cables?

Also, it seems my dad also has problems with the cables (We just got our pairs of UE customs yesterday!), but I didn't detect anything when I tried his (Holding them to my ears and toying with the cables), and mine don't have any problems yet. we both have the new style cables.

Sep 7, 2008 at 4:41 PM Post #3 of 18
Same problem with the new cables, it doesn't seem they addressed this problem at all. My current pair of failed cables are the new ones. It's good to hear I'm not the only one.

-bt

Oct 18, 2008 at 6:07 PM Post #4 of 18
I had similar issues and you could also include the fact that, in certain climates depending on the weather, the cable UE use stiffens up so much it makes their earphones a pretty good torture device. For a while I used the Westone ES cable, in fact I discovered that it could fit on UE earphone line and reported so back here and since then its resulted in a roaring trade of threads and lots of people who can now wear their UE's without rubbing their ears raw.

However I no longer use a Westone ES cable, because I found a cable which I think is far far better. Its visually a much nicer looking cable and, in terms of sound quality, it leaves UE's original cable and the Westone in the dirt. The treble is much more refined and bass frequencies are considerably tightened up. Voices, especially multiple harmonics, are rendered much more intelligible and cleaner all round and it does all that while still allowing you the freedom to walk around or even run around with the minimum of cable microphonics and driver units that appear to be floating in your ears.

The reason why I'm suggesting it to you Bigtrouble77 as a possible cure for your problem is because the ear loop and plug area is much more robustly built on this cable.

ULTIMATE EARS IN-EARPHONE UPGRADE CABLE - eBay (item 300266424967 end time Oct-22-08 01:19:16 PDT)

Oct 18, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #5 of 18
I also agree that the new cable is not very good. The original thicker cable was much better. Hopefully they'll revert to something similar in the future. I actually wrote them about it, but never heard back. Although I admit that it was during the transition period, so probably more pressing thoughts were keeping them busy...

Oct 18, 2008 at 7:40 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by leqin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However I no longer use a Westone ES cable, because I found a cable which I think is far far better. Its visually a much nicer looking cable and, in terms of sound quality, it leaves UE's original cable and the Westone in the dirt. The treble is much more refined and bass frequencies are considerably tightened up. Voices, especially multiple harmonics, are rendered much more intelligible and cleaner all round and it does all that while still allowing you the freedom to walk around or even run around with the minimum of cable microphonics and driver units that appear to be floating in your ears.

The reason why I'm suggesting it to you Bigtrouble77 as a possible cure for your problem is because the ear loop and plug area is much more robustly built on this cable.

ULTIMATE EARS IN-EARPHONE UPGRADE CABLE - eBay (item 300266424967 end time Oct-22-08 01:19:16 PDT)

The ebay add doesn't say whether this cable will work with the Customs or universals like the triple.fi. As I understand it the connectors are different.

Oct 18, 2008 at 10:25 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by leqin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know anything about how it fits with customs, but it will work with all of UE's universals either super-fi or triple-fi.

Is this the same cable as the one from Null-Audio?

Oct 19, 2008 at 2:11 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by hew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this the same cable as the one from Null-Audio?

No it isn't.

So far as I am aware its made by some guy over in China, although I could be wrong about that. I first became aware of his work making aftermarket cables when I saw a thread elsewhere on the web that mentioned the cables he constructed and a link to a thread showing part of the range he makes.

http://www.erji.net/read.php?tid=414237

Trying to get your hands on one was a bit of a problem because you had to find someone who could arrange the transaction for you and then mail the goods. Anyway I got one that way and haven't looked back, but I recently bought another for my new triple-fi's and happened upon AW Audio's eBay auction and they charge less than I paid a few months ago for the one I fitted to my Super-fi 5's... as you can see by the thread over at erji.net he makes a fair old range of aftermarket cables just for UE's phones alone and its high quality cable with top grade connectors and superb workmanship.

Oct 19, 2008 at 4:31 PM Post #10 of 18
That link is coming up in chinese.

Oct 20, 2008 at 4:59 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by hew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That link is coming up in chinese.

and that's because it is Chinese.

Until now you've either had to be Chinese, or know someone who can arrange to purchase one of this Chinese companies cables for you, in order to take advantage of the quality range of cables they produce. As you can see they produce a lot and until now that's been the stumbling block. AW Audio on Ebay are making the purchase process a lot simpler by removing that language hurdle.

Oct 20, 2008 at 8:58 PM Post #12 of 18
I have had my UE-11 for just about a year and I am now on my 4th set of cables. The last set that i just received was the "older", thicker cable and I am holding out hope that this one wont go bad as quickly as the other ones did.

Same deal here. One of the channels(2x for the right and once for the left) will start to cut in and out and within a week or two the channel will be out completely. I have to say I am very happy with the headphones, but horribly disappointed by the lack of quality in the cables. I've had Sure cables that lasted 10x as long, and Sure haave some wicked bad cabling issues.

They were good about it and agreed to send me a new one if I agreed to send them the bad cables. I included a note with the bad cables asking for a response as to why the cables went bad, so I'll post here if I hear anything back.

Oct 22, 2008 at 4:05 AM Post #13 of 18
Maybe it's just me, but I've had my UE-5c custom's for more then two years now, and I'm on my second cable. The only reason I changed cables is because of oxidation in the first set...it still works. I use these guys quite a lot both indoors and out, so I'm not sure whats going on with you.

Dec 23, 2008 at 8:53 AM Post #14 of 18
It is disappointing that the UE cable is not regarded well. But at least I know what I am getting myself into.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back