Ultimate DIY: the 3.5mm 1/8" mini jack plug collection thread
Sep 1, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #407 of 485
A Neutrik mini is a fraction of the price here in the States, so I haven't bothered.  =p
I know others have, check out the cable gallery.

I once made a mini for another guy using Neutriks but I replaced the casings with gold ones from some fleaBay chinese plugs of the same size for all-gold plugs.

Sep 2, 2013 at 4:16 AM Post #408 of 485
Quote:
A Neutrik mini is a fraction of the price here in the States, so I haven't bothered.  =p
I know others have, check out the cable gallery.

I once made a mini for another guy using Neutriks but I replaced the casings with gold ones from some fleaBay chinese plugs of the same size for all-gold plugs.

This one costs only about 6 bucks from Radioshack. It has three screws attached to the sleeve, tip and ring. I just unscrewed them all and soldered all the wires. The build quality seems solid.

Sep 2, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #409 of 485
So it doesn't need soldering then?  How convenient.

Sep 27, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #412 of 485
  My mini-xlr cable for AKG K240's got bent out of shape recently, and I'm gonna need a new one. Are these a viable alternative? http://tinyurl.com/loxv56y

No, you need a mini XLR, those are full sized.  Look for a replacement cable for the K701, K702, Q701, etc.  Those should be easier to search for.

Sep 27, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #413 of 485
To all YarboGY-3.5GB users and Masters at Soldering:

I would greatly appreciate some advice about soldering the leads to the pin (tip) and barrel (ring). These plugs only have one tab and the two other soldering points are “unconventional”, for me at least.
Thank you in advance for your help

Jan 6, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #414 of 485
Is the angled Neutrik really our only option for a short, high-quality angled 3.5mm connector? I like the Switchcraft and Oyaide ones, but there doesn't really seem to be an easy way to shorten them. 

By the way - would anybody know what the internals of the Neutriks are plated with? I'm suspecting nickel, but that's going only by the looks of them.

Jan 6, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #415 of 485
  Is the angled Neutrik really our only option for a short, high-quality angled 3.5mm connector? I like the Switchcraft and Oyaide ones, but there doesn't really seem to be an easy way to shorten them. 

By the way - would anybody know what the internals of the Neutriks are plated with? I'm suspecting nickel, but that's going only by the looks of them. 

Nickel I seems to be the plating of choice for Neutrik connectors.

As for a short right angle you can always do what cogsand gears does and fabricate your own with the Milliput
biggrin.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/71148/diy-cable-gallery/13035#post_10075273 

Jan 6, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #416 of 485
Jan 6, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #417 of 485
It seems that Neutrik is the most recognized brand for 3.5mm plugs around here and I don't deny their qualities but they seem to be really bulky. 

I'm looking for the smallest 3.5mm plug to reterminate a pair of broken IEMs and the only thing I can find available on the market is a cheap "sennheiser" plug, or a ranko plug which is (kind of) similar to the viablue system with enough space for phone/player cases.

My question is: How bad are those 3.5mm plugs?
Thanks

Jan 22, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #420 of 485
Would anyone be willing to make me a 3.5mm stereo plug to 3.5mm stereo plug, braide cable, but wired mono? (left & right soldered together)

I am deaf in one ear and would like to use newer headphones, but get both channels - I know it's not stereo, but it's better than 1/2 of the sound! Mixed mono is way better than just right   
confused_face.gif

If not, what are everyone's choices for male plugs these days? I am pretty terrible with an iron, but I'll give it a shot if I have to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back