Ultimate DIY: the 3.5mm 1/8" mini jack plug collection thread
May 18, 2009 at 1:56 PM Post #256 of 485
Quote:

Originally Posted by Good Times /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For this kind of cable I prefer using a figure 8 cable. It keeps the left and right signals seperated. Dodgy link but shows what I mean.

And using the shield as the ground gives you a thinner wire. Or you can use a pair of twisted pair wires and keep together in techflex.

If you use a star quad then I subscribe to Boomy's point of view on that. I don't connect and any end.

So, if i get it correctly, and based on my initial options i'd better use the Gepko 61801EZ and run 2 pairs for 1 3.5mm to rca splitter.

But i could also, if i understand correctly use 1 run of Mogami W2534 without connecting the shield.

Gepko is 100% shield coverage but more capacitance than Mogami... Still a dilemma for me. What should you choose between the 2 if price wasn't a problem?

By the way i got an official answer. Switchcraft 35HDBAU has an overall diameter of 10.3 mm

May 19, 2009 at 9:10 AM Post #258 of 485
Quote:

IMO, that dual pair Gepko would be a great choice if it's not too thick for your plugs.

Thank you very much! I think i'll agree with you. Total diameter for 1 run is 3.5mm, so for 2 runs it should be close to, but definitely less than 7mm. I feel that i could even strip the jacket before the plug and heat shrink over the internal wires. This would propably allo me to use a 3.5mm plug with 6mm opening, like the Neutrik NYS231L which is very cheap also.

In any case, Gepko is extremely cheap at US$0.14 per foot, so if something doesn't fit in my project, i can keep it for a future project!

Really appreciate your help!

May 21, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #259 of 485
Just got my Metcal SP200 in, what a nice deal! It's really a pretty amazing iron, they included a nice fine tip perfect for what I need it for, has very consistent heat but it doesn't get excessively hot. It heats up almost instantly and there's no adjustment, it has some crazy circuitry that lets it sense how much heat is needed to melt whatever it is needs melted. It doesn't seem to lose heat at all between joints when you're doing a bunch of things in rapid succession, the old iron was totally schizo in how it delivered heat. I noticed it doesn't liquify ALO SXC wire's PE insulation quite as fast as my old iron. It's a real winner and now soldering joints is fun.

May 21, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #260 of 485
Quote:

Originally Posted by scootermafia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got my Metcal SP200 in, what a nice deal! It's really a pretty amazing iron, they included a nice fine tip perfect for what I need it for, has very consistent heat but it doesn't get excessively hot. It heats up almost instantly and there's no adjustment, it has some crazy circuitry that lets it sense how much heat is needed to melt whatever it is needs melted. It doesn't seem to lose heat at all between joints when you're doing a bunch of things in rapid succession, the old iron was totally schizo in how it delivered heat. I noticed it doesn't liquify ALO SXC wire's PE insulation quite as fast as my old iron. It's a real winner and now soldering joints is fun.

Good tools=Win!

Peace,

Lee

May 22, 2009 at 8:40 AM Post #262 of 485
My 3.5mm collection !

Nice gold plated "HICON" branded plug.
I like them cuz they accept 8 mm. thick cable.
And they are dirst cheap in Germany - like 3 bucks a pice.
All metal with "Gun Metal" finish!

35mm_01.jpg

This is "No Name" plug - is not gold plated - but really small, nice for thin cables
Also all metal - black painted
Price - 2 bucks a piece.
35mm_02.jpg

This is a "Must Have" - "Neutrik" gold plated plug.
Really nice, and i think no need for more comments !

35mm_03.jpg

And last one - i just got in my collection is "No Name" is my favorite.
Is gold plated - all metal, "Gun Metal" finish - 3 rings-pins plug!
Nice if you need to solder Mic or Video ...
Ultra small, and well built, priced @ 4 bucks a piece ... I really like that one ...

Bad thing is - i got last 3 from store!

35mm_04.jpg

May 22, 2009 at 1:55 PM Post #263 of 485
I laugh every time I see this thread.

Ultimate DIY!... hardly.

Some nice looking connectors and a wider variety than I was aware existed, even if the mini 3.5mm is one of the least reliable types. I'm sure everyone would like to see some better jacks.

May 22, 2009 at 2:19 PM Post #264 of 485
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pars /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ultimate DIY!... hardly.

Some nice looking connectors and a wider variety than I was aware existed, even if the mini 3.5mm is one of the least reliable types. I'm sure everyone would like to see some better jacks.

Why you dont show us some better Jacks, huh ?

May 22, 2009 at 2:46 PM Post #265 of 485
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pars /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ultimate DIY!... hardly.

This is pretty tasteless.. If it really was so unreliable, the industry would've came up with a new type by now, don't you think?
Do you have any proof to back your argument?

May 22, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #266 of 485
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonthouse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you have any proof to back your argument?

Other than years of experience with portable devices of all kinds that use this type of plug, no. But the fact remains that 1/8" jacks by nature of their size tend to be a failure point for most audio devices they are used it. It's just that simple. Do they work well for their intended application? The best answer to that I have is "sort of". Any way you slice it they are a required compromise due to the thickness of the device they are used in but personally I avoid them whenever possible.

May 22, 2009 at 5:16 PM Post #267 of 485
I also don't use minis much anymore as I rarely build portable amps, etc. My point was that a thread about mini plugs is hardly the ultimate in DIY.

I don't see how you could find that that opinion is tasteless, but whatever. Particularly when comparing these threads to something like a beta22 amp build, or really any other build thread, there isn't a lot of substance in a plug.

May 22, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #268 of 485
Yet every headphone has a plug.. and many DIY'ers make their own cables.
So I say there's a lot of substance in a plug!

May 22, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #269 of 485
Hey I agree it's not the ultimate in diy, but I think the point is the quest for the ultimate 3.5mm plug. It may not be the best method of connection but you can't argue with it's importance or relevance.

May 23, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #270 of 485
Quote:

Hey I agree it's not the ultimate in diy, but I think the point is the quest for the ultimate 3.5mm plug. It may not be the best method of connection but you can't argue with it's importance or relevance.

[size=large]Cheers[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back