Ultimate desktop setup
Jan 9, 2020 at 2:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

thisisvv

100+ Head-Fier
I am revamping my desktop listening. I dont listen to headphones much. Mostly speakers. I had ELAC UB5 with Chord Hugo. I am thinking to upgrade now

Chord Hugo 2 with Kef LS 50

any other suggestions...

V

Jan 10, 2020 at 1:25 AM Post #3 of 13
I'm not sure which component you want to upgrade...

The Voxativ Hagen should be able to be driven directly by the Hugo2. Later on upgrade to TT2?

dmance has the Voxativ 2.6 drivers only driven directly by the Hugo2. No amp.

I'm in the high-efficiency no amp direct-drive camp. No amp in the chain so no loss in resolution and transparency with Chord DACs.

I have no experience with Voxativ, but a few posts do... Also not sure if Hagen too large for a desk... You can build your own box if you go driver only.

Jan 10, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #5 of 13
"Ultimate" setup is a tall order. For desktop listening, the general topic you should research is "nearfield" speakers and systems.

There are a lot of factors to consider. What is your budget (the Voxativ Hagen that was suggested begins at $4,900). What amplifier are you currently using and are you willing to upgrade it? Are you considering both passive and active speakers? Separate subwoofer a possibility? What size speakers can you accommodate and how far from the wall? What kind of music do you listen to and what sound qualities appeal to you in audio systems?

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #7 of 13
You initially mentioned the LS50. If you like the sound of the LS50, you should consider the active powered version, LS50W (LS50 Wireless). There is a strong consensus that the standard LS50 requires a significant expenditure in amp and DAC before it can match the performance of the LS50W. The LS50W would also be a big advantage with its DSP to optimize the sound for a desktop configuration, and you can skip getting a separate DAC.

Whatever speaker you get, you should use it with a desktop stand such as IsoAcoustics to help with minimizing environment and room interaction. Its function is to raise the speaker drivers to ear level, reduce early reflections from the tabletop, and decouple the table from speaker vibration.

Feb 3, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #8 of 13
I have JBL Control 5s since I hate active monitors, at least the ones I could possibly afford. I can recommend them but you'll need a sub. They're crystal clear, cheapish, and have no bass impact. There is bass and it's quite clear but it just doesn't feel like bass. They're far from ultimate but they still sound great. I don't use them for desktop though, more midfield.

Feb 3, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #9 of 13
5k for dac/ amp/ speakers? hmm.... me personally, I would go with the following

ADAM Audio a77x pair speakers - $ 2,500
ADAM Sub8 Mk2 Subwoofer - $ 900
Argosy 420Xi Speaker Stands - $450
RME Adi 2 DAC FS - $1,150

Total - $5000

If you're looking for speakers that you'll be listening from your desk, the A77x pair are monsters! Amazing sound. The best nearfields are going to be the ADAMs and Genelecs. Both great companies and ive owned both. Ive also owned LS50w and some ELACs and Yamaha HS8s. The sub takes it down another 10hz in the low frequencies, and handles most of the bass. Sounds and feels beautiful. As for the DAC, the RME DAC is time tested and an awesome pick. It also has a decent input for headphones and a great output for iems if you ever find yourself needing to turn down the speakers. The speaker stands are super high quality and perfect fit for the ADAM A77x speakers. Its an ultimate desktop speaker setup for sure. Do not spend more on your DAC than on your speakers! This setup will rock your world for sure :)

PS: Im not sure what your setup looks like in your room but check out a speaker placement calculator, and download the REW program and buy a $40 measurement mic, and get your room measured so you can get your speakers sounding the best they can. Room and DSP can turn your speaker game to the next level.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2020 at 6:04 AM Post #11 of 13
They certainly would be monster size sitting on my desk! Do you have smaller suggestions?

Sure, get out the chainsaw or buy a bigger desk :D

(says me, the guy with many desks and not enough desk space)

Feb 4, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #12 of 13
They certainly would be monster size sitting on my desk! Do you have smaller suggestions?

Well that’s what the speakers stands are for. They’d go right behind your desk. This is good because you can adjust the height of the speaker stands and this completely isolates you’re speakers from your desk. When on the desk, you will get vibrations and messed up frequencies. You could buy an isolation pad for each speaker on your desk, but speakers stands are the route you want to go. The ADAM A7x are also good if you want more of a traditional bookshelf speaker but I highly recommend you go with the A77x and sub

Feb 5, 2020 at 12:53 AM Post #13 of 13
All i want is a better sound card.
One with a really nice DAC and more power.
Maybe even a built in EQ and a headphone amp.

I just wanna rock out :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back