UK V USA
Dec 31, 2004 at 9:09 PM Post #61 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
I don't feel entertained by that last remark, Fred. Not a bit.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Nor do I.....

Dec 31, 2004 at 9:20 PM Post #62 of 156
US has been slugging it out for almost two years in Iraq and still they can't keep the 'green zone' safe... taking on an organized and experienced country like UK is not going to be easy. Just a few lose SAS guys will cause a lot of trouble for US forces.

... 200 years back US (of that time) and Britain were at war.

In 1812 British soldiers based in Canadian marched to Washington DC and burned the Whitehouse!

Dec 31, 2004 at 9:38 PM Post #63 of 156
That's because we aren't fighting a total war.

Dec 31, 2004 at 9:48 PM Post #64 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by wali
In 1812 British soldiers based in Canadian marched to Washington DC and burned the Whitehouse!

Things are slightly different these days, in those days almost all the men in the UK were either coal miners, sailors or soldiers our forces were enormous (millions) and the "soldiers" were hard men who fought for king and country.... it's different nowadays our force comprises 200,000 and there is no way UK forces could walk into the Whitehouse..... my original question was "could the UK deter US Military forces if they had to?" There's no way UK troops could get anywhere near the Whitehouse ..... SAS could probably storm the Whitehouse but no way could the UK forces take control of the US..... no way Jose.

I still think the UK could fend off an attack from the US if need be with compulsory conscription of everyone over the age of 18 that would make us a pretty inpenetratable island IMO.....

Jan 1, 2005 at 3:35 AM Post #65 of 156
Quote:

Things are slightly different these days, in those days almost all the men in the UK were either coal miners, sailors or soldiers our forces were enormous (millions) and the "soldiers" were hard men who fought for king and country....

Millions? I would say no more than 50,000 servicemen. The population of England & Wales was only 12 million in 1812.

Quote:

it's different nowadays our force comprises 200,000...

Of which there are less than 50,000 cannon-fodder, the rest are administrators, medics, engineers and cooks.

Quote:

I still think the UK could fend off an attack from the US if need be with compulsory conscription of everyone over the age of 18 that would make us a pretty inpenetratable island IMO.....

I'm terribly sorry, Sergeant Pinkie, Sir, I ain't enlisting in your Dad's Army.
biggrin.gif

JohnBull.jpeg

Jan 1, 2005 at 4:48 AM Post #66 of 156
i dont know..but it seems absurd to think the uk could resist the us power.......as long as the green berets rescues erasure before carpet bombing the island i would be cool....
it seems in todays world that the poorer countries with a idealogical reason to fight will stand better cause then it is a people's fight and how can u win that?
just like if the communists landed here ala REd Dawn all the hillbillies and mountain men would make their life hell....whether or not the suburnites would i wonder...that is an interesting question? who would make up the resistance if the US was invaded? anyways, i feel sorry if anyone does..there are alot of guns and ammo in the us.

Jan 1, 2005 at 11:04 AM Post #68 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
It's not a political or a nationalistic topic Spankypoo It's just a question that I thought would bring about some interesting (and funny) replies which it has
biggrin.gif

Ah.

But why hasn't anyone raised the question: California vs. Florida? Ohio vs. Mass? Texas vs...RI? Heh! OK, er, Alaska vs. Hawaii, and it's Survivor-style. Hmm...

Jan 1, 2005 at 6:55 PM Post #71 of 156
Quote:

But why hasn't anyone raised the question: California vs. Florida? Ohio vs. Mass? Texas vs...RI? Heh! OK, er, Alaska vs. Hawaii, and it's Survivor-style. Hmm...

If we do a state vs. stae think it would be wise to do some research on which states have the military bases,Infantry or artillery National guard units,Air National Guard or air force bases,Naval yards or sub bases.......

Ct has the Groton sub base,some damn good NG grunt units which are part of the Yankee Division (goes back to the civil war days),and a pretty highly regarded Air Guard unit.i think we could take out RI with ease
icon10.gif

Jan 1, 2005 at 8:49 PM Post #73 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears
Watch out for California! They have the seals.
eek.gif

Nevermind..misread ya comment..
biggrin.gif

Jan 1, 2005 at 8:59 PM Post #75 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Yep, and they bite, too.

NFSbull.jpg

biggrin.gif

-Ed

LOL! Pesky little suckers!!
biggrin.gif