UK/Japan Import CD's?
Dec 8, 2007 at 2:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

nick20

Banned
Hi, I was wondering what your opinion is on the UK and Japan pressed CD's, and how they compare SQ wise against the US pressed CD's.

I have briefly read that the UK versions of Pink Floyd, and Japanese pressed CD's sound much, much better than the US pressed version.

This also applies for most music that I cannot get from MFSL. Is it better to just get the "import" version of the CD instead of the US pressed version?

I'm mainly concerned with the "Loudness War" the US pressed CD's are accustomed to, and was wondering how the "import" version sounded.

Thanks,

-Nick
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 8, 2007 at 2:35 AM Post #2 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm mainly concerned with the "Loudness War" the US pressed CD's are accustomed to, and was wondering how the "import" version sounded.
-Nick
smily_headphones1.gif

All pressings are mastered from the same source. If one version is dynamically compressed, so will the others.

Dec 8, 2007 at 2:43 AM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by FalconP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All pressings are mastered from the same source. If one version is dynamically compressed, so will the others.

So then why do the imports sell for a much higher price? I've read reviews of CD's, and people mention getting the UK/Japan pressed versions, as they sound better. I've also read these are pressed at a much lower number, and result in a better mastering. Thus, fetch a higher price.

But what I'm saying is, the "imported" versions, from what I've read, are mastered a lot better than the US version. Which is why I'm here asking what everyone's opinion is on "imported" CD's.

-Nick
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 8, 2007 at 3:08 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

So then why do the imports sell for a much higher price? I've read reviews of CD's, and people mention getting the UK/Japan pressed versions, as they sound better. I've also read these are pressed at a much lower number, and result in a better mastering. Thus, fetch a higher price.
-Nick
smily_headphones1.gif

The yen and the euro are expensive, that's basically why.

It is true that Japanese and German pressings are produced with better care: a glass master press is used to press fewer CDs before it is replaced, and the CD themselves are more meticulously examined before they left the factory. Hence you'll be right to expect fewer errors in the final product. However, all pressings are ultimately derived from the same set of digital data, and should therefore sound more or less the same. Common sense suggests fewer errors are better, but whether these errors have much audible consequence is open to debate.

In some cases a digital master is specially made for Japan (most often in classical music, and I believe the King Crimson reissues belong here too, but don't take my word). In these cases you can expect big differences.

Dec 8, 2007 at 3:32 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by FalconP /img/forum/go_quote.gif

In some cases a digital master is specially made for Japan (most often in classical music, and I believe the King Crimson reissues belong here too, but don't take my word). In these cases you can expect big differences.

I was looking at some "OBI" label (issuer?), Japenese Led Zeppelin CD's... I have read some pretty good stuff about them.

4d73_1.JPG

I've never heard of "King Crimson". Can you possibly point me into the right direction?

Maybe I'm getting my words/terms misused. I think I am going to purchase a Japenese reissue, and compare it to a US issued CD, and run them through Audacity software to compare. Then, I'll give each a listen through the same setup, for a final verdict.

Thanks,

-Nick
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 8, 2007 at 3:27 PM Post #7 of 18
What people are talking about are the first pressings of CDs from the "Golden Age" of 1983-1987. At that time, most CDs were pressed in Japan or West Germany, there weren't any pressing plants in the USA yet.

These plants were built before they figured out how to cost-cut and cheapen the product. They used standards and built to specifications that would seem almost absurd today.

As a result, the physical quality (and many argue sonic qualities) of these early pressings are significantly superior to what you can buy today.

Also back then were the days way before the loudness race, so the discs are mainly flat transfers of master tape. Yes, it's true, that in some cases the actual master tapes were not the ones pulled to make some CDs, but this problem has been over-stated in order for record companies to sell "remasters" to the public. Worst case you choose between an unmolested second generation tape, or an EQ jacked-up compressed to hell modern remaster. Most people will pick the former.

Many of these early Japan and West Germany CDs contain unique masterings you can't get anywhere else.

It's not true every Japan or West Germany CD will automatically sound "better" than any later USA press or modern "remaster", it's always a case-by-case basis. But, on balance, it's hard to go too far wrong with them and that's why audiophiles and collectors covet them.

If you are talking about modern Japan-pressed discs, such as the one pictured above in the LP-style packaging, some of them do contain unique masterings, but remember what year it is, and you will find they are just as loud and compressed as any modern USA CD.

Dec 8, 2007 at 3:40 PM Post #8 of 18
So what you're saying in "general", is the better sounding CD's, are those pressed from overseas, in the early years, in the 80's and 90's? I understand this is a "case-by-case" situation, like you mentioned.

The one pictured is from 2000 if I remember correctly.

For instance, I found a copy of "The Wall" by Pink Floyd, that is UK pressed from the early 80's. I would assume this is the issue you're talking about.

Thank you for sheding a little more light onto this topic...

-Nick
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 8, 2007 at 5:45 PM Post #9 of 18
That's really interesting, as I have a big collection of about 200 disks from 1986-88 that I actually thought would be inferior and should be replaced. (But they have always been my favorites that I gravitated to. Maybe this is why.)

Dec 8, 2007 at 5:59 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by rgs9200m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's really interesting, as I have a big collection of about 200 disks from 1986-88 that I actually thought would be inferior and should be replaced. (But they have always been my favorites that I gravitated to. Maybe this is why.)

"remastered" is a usually a bad word.. I have learned quickly. The "original" first released CD's are probably the best, as they will have much better mastering than what you get today. Today's "mastering" usually consists of the "masterer"/engineer making it louder. Not improving the CD at all. Unless it's from MFSL, Steve Hoffman etc. but that's an exception.

Dec 8, 2007 at 7:43 PM Post #11 of 18
I have read somewhere ( can't remember where ) that the Japanese go mad for UK issue Cd's. I think its another marketing ploy.

I am not saying that there is no difference but a lot is to do with the packaging etc.

You have to agree the Jcards look tasty.

Dec 8, 2007 at 9:19 PM Post #12 of 18
Many early UK pressings generally vary from fair to poor quality (Nimbus pressings and late 80s/early 90s PDO pressings which are disintegrating as I type). EMI Swindon pressing are of average quality. No UK pressing is as high in quality as Japan or West Germany pressings.

OTOH, many of them have unique masterings (like the Pink Floyd catalogue on Harvest) that some like a lot, other's don't.

Dec 8, 2007 at 10:43 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Many early UK pressings generally vary from fair to poor quality (Nimbus pressings and late 80s/early 90s PDO pressings which are disintegrating as I type). EMI Swindon pressing are of average quality. No UK pressing is as high in quality as Japan or West Germany pressings.

OTOH, many of them have unique masterings (like the Pink Floyd catalogue on Harvest) that some like a lot, other's don't.

So would you say "generally" the Japenese reissues will be better than the UK reissues? I'm talking overall.. I know there are expections, but if I had a choice to get either or, would you recommend the Japenese version first, over the UK?

Thanks,

-Nick
smily_headphones1.gif

PS. I'll post some results with GoldWave when I get a Japenese CD compared to the "newly" remastered version that available. I'll keep this updated as I get "imported" versions as well..

Dec 8, 2007 at 10:56 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

So would you say "generally" the Japenese reissues will be better than the UK reissues? I'm talking overall.. I know there are expections, but if I had a choice to get either or, would you recommend the Japenese version first, over the UK?

The problem is when it was pressed. If you're talking about a modern CD, no matter where it was made, it's going to be compressed and over-EQed (most likely). That includes all these recent Japanese LP-style re-issues, which in most cases is the same crappy remastering as the current USA edition, repackaged in a flimsier carboard sleeve. Yes, current Japanese pressings of CDs are better quality than most, but now you have a decent pressing of a badly mastered album. It still won't sound good.

You have to go back in time and hunt down the original pressings from 83-87. There are some sellers of these goods who have dug through the crates to find them for you up on ebay. I would start to look there first. Obviously, this limits you to "classic rock" acts or anyone who released an album up until 1987.

Dec 8, 2007 at 11:06 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

"remastered" is a usually a bad word.. I have learned quickly. The "original" first released CD's are probably the best, as they will have much better mastering than what you get today. Today's "mastering" usually consists of the "masterer"/engineer making it louder. Not improving the CD at all. Unless it's from MFSL, Steve Hoffman etc. but that's an exception.

This is news to me. Will bear this in mind in the future.

"fudge" (damn filters!) is all I can say, looking at my collection now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back