UK - E500 custom mould saga
Dec 14, 2006 at 2:09 PM Post #31 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by The-One /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aww come on! Surely you can't leave people wondering until New Years day to wonder about the T2 sound!!! I for one want to know now lol
wink.gif

Let's put it this way, so far I have no real temptation to use the E500 other than to find the areas where the T2 excels. I've never been the kind of person who relies on quick switch comparisons and I prefer the long extended test then switch back to see if there is a drop in quality. Having said that I have tried headphones/iems and just thought yuk!

Quote:

Btw, what did Andy say about the influx of orders from forum based recommendations?

ACS are used to dealing with musicians and I think they find the myriad of questions emailed in from audiophiles odd, though he does answer them all. A few orders coming in and then a series of referrals seems to be building up their audiophile clients, who like me have been using a variety of iems. As most will have observed they are not pushed for work and are reticent to even update their web page with more pictures or brochures to attract audiophiles. Must be a nice to have a business that keeps you so busy you don't need to advertise. They are moving to better premises so business must be good.

Quote:

Is it just me or does the tip of your T2 look a bit short? I remember my impressions to be longer. Did you have yours done closed mouth then?

My impressions were long too, though that's just so they can get the best fit, you don't really want long tubes going that far into your ear do you? Think of the hassle inserting them! I also asked about mouth open versus mouth closed impressions again. Andy and Joan are both of the opinion that closed mouth is better. This is both due to their use of soft silicon, whereas the harder acrylic used for hearing aids and other iems may prefer the open mouth method, and the different material they use for taking the impressions.

Dec 14, 2006 at 2:11 PM Post #32 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by JLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is that wire doing a knot inside the molding?
blink.gif

Yep, I noticed that too, hence the bigger pictures for one and all to see. I would expect that to be deliberate and a logical thing to do to prevent strain.

Dec 20, 2006 at 2:49 AM Post #34 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by caramelsoul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The moulds for the E500 look a lot less intrusive and more sleek than i thought. I think i may head down that road for the time being. Cheers for the info StvieDvd.

Wow, they look much better than the Sensa molds for E500 (I have seen that in another thread), I wonder if Sensaphonics can produce same type of molds. I might get a printout of the pics you posted and go to Sensaphonics
smily_headphones1.gif

StevieDvd, could you compare custom molds for E500 to other types of plugs in terms of comfort, isolation and any sound improvement over them? I like yellow foams a lot, but they do not isolate as much as I want and are expensive in the long run.

Dec 22, 2006 at 9:21 PM Post #35 of 40
Hi All,

Been a little quiet about this for a couple of reasons. One it's Christmas and the missus has had me out shopping etc. Two the original customs I had were a little loose fitting so I had new impressions taken and the correct colour this time.

I had originally chosen black, though at the time it would still have been with silver cabling.

Today I picked these up:

099bb400.jpg

Apart from the poor decision to use a red Christmas gift box as a background the pictures I took were not very good so I'll take some more in daylight.

This time the fit is real good and the isolation and sound is a marked improvement, not a small 5-10% improvement on the first set but a real big difference evoking a 'wow' when they were fitted by Andy. These are a little longer penetrating as well, whether that helps or the new impressions were just better I can't say.

Oh and notice the cable, the first pair of ACS T2 to have the metallic grey cable and black plug (world exclusive
eek.gif
).

So I'll try to make a little more time to go through the usual tracks and give some impressions later.

I took the Sensaphonic test tracks along on my Ipod and they sounded exactly as they should (per the web instructions) - the bass is plenty and like having a sub-woofer fitted. Detail at the high end too is clearly well represented and no complaints so far from me about mid-range either.

I'm afraid it puts the Shure E500 and even my old UM2 down a notch or two in my opinion so the new black T2 has made a much better initial impression than the first fit.

Only downside is they show up dust and will need to be kept clean else they will look like a sparkly marbled effect
biggrin.gif
no big deal.

Steve

Dec 22, 2006 at 9:26 PM Post #36 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by artears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
StevieDvd, could you compare custom molds for E500 to other types of plugs in terms of comfort, isolation and any sound improvement over them? I like yellow foams a lot, but they do not isolate as much as I want and are expensive in the long run.

Sorry when I first used iems (Westone UM2) I quite quickly moved to tri-flanges as my best fit (then modded them to bi-flanges), never did get on with foams of any sort.

The customs are much more comfortable than the flanges and move around a lot less too. Deep tri-flanges were the best isolation but needed a little fiddling to get the sound just right - gave me a bit of a habit in that I was always checking they were pushed in properly when commuting! The customs once fitted were good sounding and stayed in place my entire journey so I'm pleased to be losing that habit.

Steve

Dec 22, 2006 at 10:09 PM Post #37 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by StevieDvd /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The customs are much more comfortable than the flanges and move around a lot less too. Deep tri-flanges were the best isolation but needed a little fiddling to get the sound just right - gave me a bit of a habit in that I was always checking they were pushed in properly when commuting! The customs once fitted were good sounding and stayed in place my entire journey so I'm pleased to be losing that habit.

Steve

Good to hear that they are very comfortable. Can you also make a few comments about the sound quality? Do they sound better compared to flanges? Thank you for the response.

Happy holidays to you and everyone here...

Dec 23, 2006 at 11:56 AM Post #38 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by artears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good to hear that they are very comfortable. Can you also make a few comments about the sound quality? Do they sound better compared to flanges? Thank you for the response.

Happy holidays to you and everyone here...

To be honest you could get the same sound quality from the flanges, if you managed to keep them in the optimum position all the time. Trouble is people do tend to move their mouths and talk (even eat) with iems so it is too easy to lose that optimum position without realising it. Which of course means you are not always getting the best your set-up can do.

The custom sleeves on the other hand achieve the optimum position by default and tend to stay there - so all in all I'd recommend the custom sleeves. Of course this is all based on your impressions and fit being accurate.

Steve

Jan 17, 2007 at 11:30 AM Post #39 of 40
Well my customs arrived today - figuring out the right way up took a while - and they are going to take a bit of getting used after the softness of the foam tips.

Jan 17, 2007 at 3:52 PM Post #40 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by breseler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well my customs arrived today - figuring out the right way up took a while - and they are going to take a bit of getting used after the softness of the foam tips.

What are those tips? The little horn surrounding the output hole is intriguing. Definitely not UM56.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back