UK 2012 Head-Fi Meet - September 15th Cambridgeshire.
Apr 18, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #241 of 1,381
OMGdfjghkdm;lask

Sorry about that. Finally a chance to listen to Violectric gear and a chance to win one even!

Apr 18, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #242 of 1,381
I am just playing, i won't be entering the raffle 
frown.gif

I was lucky enough to win something last year,[size=small] [/size]though i was not an MOT then.

Apr 19, 2012 at 5:37 AM Post #246 of 1,381

Quote:
Any Londoners thinking of group transport to the venue?

No plans yet but this would definitely be the best/easiest way for me to get up there.  I don't have a car but happy to contribute to costs etc.  I don't have a lot of stuff but my headphone amp is valve so not easy to transport except in its original box, so could be tricky on a train!

Apr 19, 2012 at 7:40 AM Post #247 of 1,381
Great going Andy! It's quite humble of you to be opting yourself out from the raffle. I feel you should be OK to buy the raffle as you're just doing a favour by organising the meet. I think everyone else would feel the same.

Apr 19, 2012 at 8:21 AM Post #249 of 1,381
Wow - this meet just keeps getting better!

Really looking forward to hearing the Violectric gear, I've always liked the look of their stuff. Amazing raffle prizes too; I think quite a lot of money for charity could be raised as I'm sure people will be eager to win something off that list!

I also agree you should be able to enter the raffle Andy - perhaps a neutral party could be nominated to draw the tickets; maybe one of the sponsors would be happy to do it?

Apr 19, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #250 of 1,381

Quote:
Great going Andy! It's quite humble of you to be opting yourself out from the raffle. I feel you should be OK to buy the raffle as you're just doing a favour by organising the meet. I think everyone else would feel the same.

Indeed. I was curious about the legality of it all, as bigger organisations usually have an arbiter of sorts to draw the winners (I work for a charity and we run several raffles a year), but I can't find much information. There doesn't seem to be any issue with Andy buying tickets and I can't imagine anyone begrudging him an opportunity to win after putting in all of this effort.  I think in the interest of fairness the person who draws the tickets should not be someone who has purchased any, but I can't find anything restricting who can actually do this.  I did find out a couple of things though: it's illegal to spend more than £500 on prizes (irrelevant, as all prizes are being donated) and it's illegal to spend more than £100 of the raffle ticket purchases on costs of the event/printing tickets/etc.  I also don't see that being an issue as Andy has managed to get the cost of the hall organised through sponsorships, and if any other costs exceeded £100 I'm sure everyone would happily contribute.

Re Totally Dubbed's request, it's also unfortunately illegal to sell tickets remotely.  The only people who can buy tickets have to be present at the event and the draw has to happen, with all prizes being handed out, by the end of the event.  You need a license from the local authority to be able to sell tickets remotely (or offer a cash prize), which I don't think would be possible for this.

Hopefully this is helpful!

Apr 19, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #251 of 1,381

Quote:

Re Totally Dubbed's request, it's also unfortunately illegal to sell tickets remotely.  The only people who can buy tickets have to be present at the event and the draw has to happen, with all prizes being handed out, by the end of the event.  You need a license from the local authority to be able to sell tickets remotely (or offer a cash prize), which I don't think would be possible for this.

that is helpful, thank you fro clearing it up :)
I hope I can make it..but highly doubt I will be able to travel all the way up north.

Any ideas on train times from central london to their?

Apr 19, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #252 of 1,381
I'm based in north london, I will be driving probably but I'm still not 100% sure of my attendance

Apr 19, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #253 of 1,381
FragmentedGod,

Thank you for your extremely informative and useful post. 

I really don't mind opting out of the raffle as I'd like to remain impartial and draw the tickets, besides which, I've too much audio kit already and don't have room for any more gear.

Cheers,

Andy. 
Quote:

Indeed. I was curious about the legality of it all, as bigger organisations usually have an arbiter of sorts to draw the winners (I work for a charity and we run several raffles a year), but I can't find much information. There doesn't seem to be any issue with Andy buying tickets and I can't imagine anyone begrudging him an opportunity to win after putting in all of this effort.  I think in the interest of fairness the person who draws the tickets should not be someone who has purchased any, but I can't find anything restricting who can actually do this.  I did find out a couple of things though: it's illegal to spend more than £500 on prizes (irrelevant, as all prizes are being donated) and it's illegal to spend more than £100 of the raffle ticket purchases on costs of the event/printing tickets/etc.  I also don't see that being an issue as Andy has managed to get the cost of the hall organised through sponsorships, and if any other costs exceeded £100 I'm sure everyone would happily contribute.

Apr 19, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #254 of 1,381

Quote:
FragmentedGod,

Thank you for your extremely informative and useful post. 

I really don't mind opting out of the raffle as I'd like to remain impartial and draw the tickets, besides which, I've too much audio kit already and don't have room for any more gear.

Cheers,

Andy. 

You can buy tickets and if you win, donate the prize to me :D lol

Apr 19, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #255 of 1,381
lewisthemusician,

You deserve to win something for your bare faced cheekiness!  
darthsmile.gif

Cheers,

Andy. 

Quote:

You can buy tickets and if you win, donate the prize to me :D lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back