UK 2012 Head-Fi Meet - September 15th Cambridgeshire.
May 16, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #511 of 1,381
Without derailing the thread, I've often read companies like Nordost use bizarre designs in their cables simply because it will alter the resistance/inductance/capacitance enough that it does alter the sound, which then plays into the whole 'system tuning' thing where people end up looking for brighter this or warmer that. See here

Also, just my opinion, but proper critical listening at a meet is tough, there's a LOT of background noise once it's in full swing, I got more out of just hearing completely different setups, making new friends etc than trying to evaluate equipment the way I would normally (home alone in silence). I'm working that weekend but I'll see if I can book my shifts off. 

May 17, 2012 at 2:25 AM Post #513 of 1,381
For me cables do make a difference, but it is subtle and can only be assessed in your own system, at home, over a good listening session.

I just don't see the point of AB'ing, ie listening to a track, changing cables and listening to the same track, especially at a noisy meet.

May 17, 2012 at 4:47 AM Post #514 of 1,381
Guys,

I suggested the A-B thing as a bit of fun!

popcorn.gif

Andy.

Quote:
For me cables do make a difference, but it is subtle and can only be assessed in your own system, at home, over a good listening session.

I just don't see the point of AB'ing, ie listening to a track, changing cables and listening to the same track, especially at a noisy meet.

May 17, 2012 at 8:11 AM Post #515 of 1,381
Quote:
Guys,

I suggested the A-B thing as a bit of fun!

popcorn.gif

I agree. Whatever the demo/presentation turns out to be, it should be informal and fun.

It is logistically crippling, for a meet like this, to run a scientifically valid DBT test.
Let Russ, or whoever, do what they want to do. It won't prove anything, but at best it will give food for thought and maybe a prompt to investigate further.

BTW, how does one demo such things at a headphone meet? Surely loudspeakers need to be involved.

May 17, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #517 of 1,381
Not necessarily, as if a clear majority of listeners hear a sonic improvement using different interconnects and cables, then this 'proves' that us tweakers haven't been wasting our money buying aftermarket accessories.

popcorn.gif

Cheers,

Andy. 

Quote:
Lol, fun but pointless.

May 17, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #519 of 1,381
My apologies, as I'd clearly misconstrued your point. 

Cheers,

Andy. 

Quote:
No,you miss my point. I am a firm cable believer and tweeker and I will hopefully be trying some of franks cables. Quick AB'ing and especially DBT are for the birds in my opinion.

May 17, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #520 of 1,381
I think this A-B thing is a really good idea. Meet attenders should avail themselves as much time as possible to the test...

While I get some quality time with the 009 and BHSE
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 18, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #524 of 1,381
Curses, somebody else had the same devious plan as me.

wink_face.gif

Cheers,

Andy. 

Quote:
I think this A-B thing is a really good idea. Meet attenders should avail themselves as much time as possible to the test...

While I get some quality time with the 009 and BHSE
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 18, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #525 of 1,381
Oh dear, hope that's not your Gerald Ratner moment Frank.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1573380/Doing-a-Ratner-and-other-famous-gaffes.html

wink_face.gif

Cheers,

Andy. 

Quote:
What's the point, cables make no difference, it's all in your mind. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back