UHQR Vinyl: Holy $mokes!
Nov 13, 2008 at 3:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

IceClass

Headphoneus Supremus
I was ebaying idly; cruising for some sealed quality vinyl to listen to and use as a barometer on my new turntable and then I stumbled onto UHQR vinyl releases and bookmarked a few to bid on later.
Coming back the next day, every release I'd bookmarked had risen to hundreds of dollars and a couple even sold for over a grand!!!

Who is paying that kinda money for a vinyl record and why???
I'd never heard of UHQR recording before and am blown away by the sums these things are trading for.
Are they even remotely worth it?

Nov 13, 2008 at 10:26 AM Post #2 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by IceClass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was ebaying idly; cruising for some sealed quality vinyl to listen to and use as a barometer on my new turntable and then I stumbled onto UHQR vinyl releases and bookmarked a few to bid on later.
Coming back the next day, every release I'd bookmarked had risen to hundreds of dollars and a couple even sold for over a grand!!!

I'd never heard of UHQR recording before and am blown away by the sums these things are trading for.

With turntables (and cartridges!) selling for five figures, this should be no surprise. Maybe someone came into their inheritance...

Nov 13, 2008 at 11:14 AM Post #3 of 28
Ultra High Quality Recordings are rare and more like collector items than ordinary played records, so why not. A grand for a record starts sound something
wink.gif

Nov 13, 2008 at 12:41 PM Post #4 of 28
Quote:

I used to have a copy of the UHQR version of "Crime of the Century". They are extremely rare, so I guess I'm not too surprised to see them going for that kind of money. Sound quality is superb, but they require a TT with adjustable tonearm height due to the thickness of the vinyl. Mine didn't get played very much for that reason. (It wound up being stolen when my apartment was burglarized, and I was unable to replace it due to the rarity of the recording.)

If you are looking for a reference disc, the UHQR recordings are excellent. It's the next best thing to having the master tape. To paraphrase Ferris Beuhler , "If you have the means, I highly recommend getting a copy".

Nov 13, 2008 at 3:51 PM Post #5 of 28
They are worth what someone is willing to pay!
Some recordings are rare and hence sell for high money. Just like with other items out there.

Nov 13, 2008 at 3:54 PM Post #6 of 28
So the rarity is driving the prices more than the SQ then?

Nov 13, 2008 at 6:00 PM Post #7 of 28
Quote:

So the rarity is driving the prices more than the SQ then?

Consider that there were only 5000 copies of each title (8 titles were released), so yes they are rare. How many of the 40,000 albums have not been opened?
A sealed copy can go for over a thousand, keep in mind only DSTM and Sgt Peppers command this much, the others can be had for less than 500.
Mint played copies can range less than 100 to close to 1000, depending on the quality of the album and rep of the seller.
If you ever get the chance to listen and compare a UHQR pressing to other pressings, you will know why some of the price is justified.

Nov 13, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by beerguy0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used to have a copy of the UHQR version of "Crime of the Century". They are extremely rare, so I guess I'm not too surprised to see them going for that kind of money. Sound quality is superb, but they require a TT with adjustable tonearm height due to the thickness of the vinyl. Mine didn't get played very much for that reason. (It wound up being stolen when my apartment was burglarized, and I was unable to replace it due to the rarity of the recording.)".

That's sad. I had the regular LP release of "Crime" from MFSL.. The BEST piece of vinyl I've ever heard. I can only imagine what the UHQR sounded like. I have a flac rip of Pink Floyd's DSOM from a Mobile Fidelity UHQR. I think it smokes the fabled "Black Triangle" cd release. Just think, digitalheads, we're talking floor noise, too! That's what MFSL good vinyl was all about. Of course, I don't know what the persons vinyl rig was (I assume it was good), but i always wonder what it would sound like with an superb rig!

Nov 13, 2008 at 6:44 PM Post #9 of 28
The sound quality on those (well, at least I Robot) is astonishing. Plus, there weren't that many pressed before MOFI went defunkt. So it's both a collectors item and a great sounding recording.

Nov 14, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by 883dave /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Consider that there were only 5000 copies of each title (8 titles were released), so yes they are rare. How many of the 40,000 albums have not been opened?
A sealed copy can go for over a thousand, keep in mind only DSTM and Sgt Peppers command this much, the others can be had for less than 500.
Mint played copies can range less than 100 to close to 1000, depending on the quality of the album and rep of the seller.
If you ever get the chance to listen and compare a UHQR pressing to other pressings, you will know why some of the price is justified.

Pretty funny considering that Dark Side was pressed using the source from a 4th generation master tape.

Nov 14, 2008 at 4:54 AM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd R /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MoFi is still in business Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab, Inc. - Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab, Inc.

They sure are. Not to threadjack, but MoFi's SACDs are worth every cent. So far, I've picked up the Pixies' Surfer Rosa and Doolittle, as well as Milt Jackson's Sextett. Superb, top to bottom. I'll get around to picking up the rest of the MoFi SACDs, especially considering the way their vinyl has appreciated.

Nov 14, 2008 at 5:15 AM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd R /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MoFi is still in business Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab, Inc. - Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab, Inc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They sure are. Not to threadjack, but MoFi's SACDs are worth every cent. So far, I've picked up the Pixies' Surfer Rosa and Doolittle, as well as Milt Jackson's Sextett. Superb, top to bottom. I'll get around to picking up the rest of the MoFi SACDs, especially considering the way their vinyl has appreciated.

Agreed. They're back in production; however, I think they lost some of their "uniqueness" by coming back to life. I've not purchased any of their newer vinyl as I've read mixed reviews of them and, more importantly, I've outgrown paying those prices for vinyl (read: got cheap).

Nov 14, 2008 at 11:09 AM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioDwebe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've outgrown paying those prices for vinyl (read: got cheap).

Ah yes, grasshopper, I believe this is the true path of the old audiophile. We all go through the "expensive vinyl" phase of our existence. Then, one day, we awaken to find ourselves suprisingly happy with the "Book of Red."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back