Uh oh.. What have I done...?
Jun 16, 2010 at 6:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

PANGES

1000+ Head-Fier
So I've been experimenting with different headphones lately (since I'm new and don't know exactly what I want yet.) My favorite set of phones up until late have been the Sennheiser IE8's. I've tried the Audio-Technica M50, Grado SR80i, and just received a set of Audio-Technica W1000X (I know... sort of a big jump from what I've been trying, but my curiosity got the best of me after reading all the glowing reviews on head-hi.)

So here lies the problem- My IE8's have been my absolute favorite up until literally 15 minutes ago. I've been listening to the W1000X for the past couple days, and decided "what the heck, let's try some A/Bing with the IE8's."

Once I listened to the same song a few times with the W1000X, and then swapped them out for the IE8's, everything sounded terrible! In comparison, the IE8's are veiled/ with less clarity, the vocals/mids seem really distant, and I just can't seem to bring myself to enjoy them anymore. I figure I just needed to adjust so I listened to the same song a few more times with the IE8's and then popped the W1000X's back on... and "oh no," I'm having the same reaction I had when I got my IE8's and decided to compare them to the stock ipod earbuds, where I thought to myself "man, what have I been listening to all this time?"

The sad thing is, I'm not even listening to a source that's even doing the W1000X's justice (iPod Touch + LOD + Headstage Arrow 12HE amp --> phones.) Do I even want to know what a decent DAC + amp with my MacBook Pro will do for the W1000X? lol.

Sigh.

Sorry all for the random rant. 

Jun 16, 2010 at 8:56 AM Post #3 of 28
Thank goodness for that too. 
smile_phones.gif
 Too much bass ruins music, but as does too little. In the end I always come back to this 'neutral zone' - headphones slightly bright or warm depending on the mood, but never too exaggerated. 

Jun 16, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #4 of 28
lol. This is a horrible hobby. It's just like when I was doing cars. I always wonder "hmm, I wonder how much more fun 50whp will be" and then when I get it and ride in something that made the same power I had before, I go "wow, how was I ever able fine with that?"

It seems to be the same with audio- I wonder "I wonder how much better these other headphones will sound compared to what I have?" Then after I get them, listen to them for a while, then listen to what I used to have and wonder "Meh.. how did I ever listen to those headphones..?"

Horrible hobbies. lol.

Jun 16, 2010 at 2:57 PM Post #5 of 28
Life is too short to not enjoy the music you listen to and love to the max.

One day one of your children will run up to you and say "DADDY, I WANT THE NEW SKULLCANDY PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER HEADPHONESSSS" and you'll punch them in the face and hand down one of your much beloved headphones and you shall embrace the new bond you have just formed with your child, for it is the way of the Head-Fier.

Jun 16, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #6 of 28

Quote:

One day one of your children will run up to you and say "DADDY, I WANT THE NEW SKULLCANDY PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER HEADPHONESSSS" and you'll punch them in the face and hand down one of your much beloved headphones and you shall embrace the new bond you have just formed with your child, for it is the way of the Head-Fier.

Win.

Jun 16, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #7 of 28

Quote:

That is quite a valid point you make there, oh wise one. :)

Jun 16, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #8 of 28
The really sad part is that I read "purple monkey dishwasher" and I immediately wondered if Skullcandy had a purple monkey headphone somewhere in its line...

Jun 16, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #10 of 28

Quote:
Thank goodness for that too. 
smile_phones.gif
 Too much bass ruins music, but as does too little. In the end I always come back to this 'neutral zone' - headphones slightly bright or warm depending on the mood, but never too exaggerated. 

I couldn't agree more. I've always considered myself a basshead, but it literally wears me out, lol. I'm not a detail freak per se, but I do enjoy good balance.

Jun 16, 2010 at 6:40 PM Post #11 of 28

Quote:

A wise man indeed.

Jun 17, 2010 at 12:02 AM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

You sell watches? Jewelery? Cuz if you don't, I could find a place for ya 
tongue.gif

Jun 17, 2010 at 1:37 AM Post #13 of 28

Quote:
The really sad part is that I read "purple monkey dishwasher" and I immediately wondered if Skullcandy had a purple monkey headphone somewhere in its line...

Once Pange has children in high school, the Purple Monkey Dishwasher will be Skullcandy's flagship model. In fact, I bet the first born of his children that I'm correct.

Jun 17, 2010 at 2:19 AM Post #14 of 28
Uh oh, he has opened up Pandora's box. There is no going back. 

Jun 17, 2010 at 9:25 AM Post #15 of 28
Do not, I repeat, do NOT EVER get a Stax rig...or orthos... 
basshead.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back