uh oh, now I want speakers
Mar 15, 2004 at 9:08 PM Post #32 of 39
Ah, forgot all about the Denon minisystems. They use Mission bookshelves, so it's definitely better than run of the mill.

Mar 15, 2004 at 11:18 PM Post #33 of 39
I had a listen to the award winning Denon DM31, with the standard speakers - the missions won't be in store for a while. Compared to me headphone system (PCDP -> PIMETA -> AKG 271) not at the same level. The bass doesn't go low enough and has lacks power. The mid and treble are a bit veiled, like there's something in front of them. When the sub was added the missing bass made it all the more pleasent to listen too. I'll have a listen with the other speakers when they arrive.

Is there any merit in going for a lesser brand, but a model that has larger speakers to help with the bass? I don't want to have to buy a sub right now.

Mar 16, 2004 at 6:58 PM Post #34 of 39
originally posted by Hajime [/i] I'm looking at Magnepan MMG's right now. They're said to be the best speaker under $1000, but may not be for you.
The mmgs are great speakers I listened to them before I eventually went with some of their bigger brothers, the 2.7s. If you are into anything that have much bass you will need to consider adding a sub and a good one at that or it will detract from the maggies.

Mar 16, 2004 at 7:37 PM Post #35 of 39
I had a similar budget and, if you're willing to hunt for used gear and shipping isn't too outrageous, you might be pleased with this combination; Sound Dynamics 300ti ($250 used)(large bookshelf speakers), used Jolida 801A (or 502)($500-1000 used), and a Sony SCD-C555ES SACD/CD changer (222 or 333 would work as well; $600-700 for 555, $300-400 for the 333; and $200-300 for the 222es). Lots of info on all of these on the web.

Not sure how helpful the above is, but just trying to convey that very good sound can be had for less than 2K (even with int'l shipping). I've got the 300ti's, the 555es, and a modified 801a with upgraded 6550 tubes and it sounds better than my Senn HD600's and ASL MG Head OTL w/ upgraded tubes. I bought all of these without hearing them knowing that they all were quite resellable for about what I paid, so I was just risking shipping.

Mar 16, 2004 at 9:52 PM Post #36 of 39
Originally posted by jfalford
Quote:

originally posted by Hajime [/i] I'm looking at Magnepan MMG's right now. They're said to be the best speaker under $1000, but may not be for you.
The mmgs are great speakers I listened to them before I eventually went with some of their bigger brothers, the 2.7s. If you are into anything that have much bass you will need to consider adding a sub and a good one at that or it will detract from the maggies.

I just ordered a pair, I'm excited. it'll make me look into a power amp and a sub, but hey, that's what audio is for

Mar 17, 2004 at 12:16 AM Post #37 of 39
About the Denons. You can try mating it with other speakers. I heard the system with Paradigm Atoms and they sound good. I think they have better bass than the Missions although it still isn't the greatest in transparency. Keep in mind that these mini systems sit on a shelf. If you place the speakers on stands and set them up properly they might perform quite differently.

I wouldn't be so pessimistic about the stereo system purchase. Look into some of the integrated amplifiers out there. You might be surprised.

You can't compare your headphone system dollar for dollar to speaker systems. Speaker systems simply cost more to get started but value and $ needed to get a good system is decreasing. It's like standard tube TVs vs projectors. A few years back, a $2000 directview TV will whoop a $2000 projector in PQ, now it's close enough that the big screen experience can take over.

If a consumer went out and just bought any retail priced Sony headphone (or another brand) and drove it with whatever consumer headphone amp is out there or no amp at all, they wouldn't get a good sound. Do your research, find good deals and the search can be very rewarding. Your $2000 can certainly buy you a system that is just as enjoyable if not more enjoyable than your headphone system.

Mar 21, 2004 at 11:27 PM Post #38 of 39
Now, before I type this I need everyone to sit down in a comfortable chair, take anything out of your mouth (in case you choke), and relax - I ended up with a non-audiophile consumer level stereo
wink.gif

I looked at stereos on the weekend, including the Denon. I found the Denon nice and clear, but with the speakers that come with it, it had NO bass at all. Hooked up with a sub it sounded quite nice, at a cost of about US$900.

For a laugh, I compared it to consumer level stereos in the local stores. I was pleasently suprised at what you could get for very little money. I ended up walking away with a mid range Panasonic system for about US$270, on special. It didn't sound as clear as the Denon, wasn't as crisp, and the bass didn't go so low or hit quite so hard, but it was 85% of the way there, for 30% of the cost.

As an aside I was dissapointed with the consumer level Sony systems. This one costs almost US$600 here, and sounds quite muffled - like someone's put a blanket over the speakers. The best of the Sony bunch was a smaller system, but when you turned the equaliser off it sounded absolutely horrible. If you played with enough settings it sounded a lot better, but still a bit muffled. It's only advantage was that it looked quite nice.

Anyway, i'm happy with the system I got for home, and it makes me appreciate my headphone system all the more
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 22, 2004 at 3:11 AM Post #39 of 39
If you like your system, that's all that counts
tongue.gif
And you got away with it pretty cheap too! You have better self control than I do
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back