Ugrade Supra or purchase new amp for Qualia 010?
Feb 9, 2007 at 8:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

MikeLa

100+ Head-Fier
Any suggestions. I'm currently using a Supra to drive a pair of Qualia 010's. I've completed upgrading my source and cables and it's time for the amp. Mikhail is in the process of putting together the specs for an upgrade to the Supra but I was wondering what Qualia owners thought was the best match for the headphones. From searching around the forum I put toghether this short list:
1. Singlepower - whatever Mikhail comes up with for the upgrade.
2. EAR HP4
3. Rudistor RP010
4. Zana Deax or Moth Zana - I don't know anything about these amps.

I'm new to this hobby - 14 months. The Supra is the only amp I have listened to.

Qualia owners, any thoughts or suggestons?

Feb 10, 2007 at 3:53 AM Post #3 of 6
I've had a pair of 010s that for the last few months and they are a great match with my Zana Deux. I haven't heard a Supra so I can't comment on whether it is a better match or not.

Feb 10, 2007 at 5:23 AM Post #4 of 6
I've not heard the Qualia with the other amps that you've mentioned but do think that they sound absolutely wonderful, fantastic, terrific, amazing out of the Singlepower Maestro. Actually, that amp seems to make practically any headphones that I throw at it sound great. It will be listed in the Amps For Sale section shortly... nah, just kidding.
smily_headphones1.gif

To me, the Maestro mates quite well with the Qualia which I've always felt are a little too energetic in the upper registers. It could be their crystal clear presentation which is actually so clear and detailed that it takes some time to get used to (i.e., your ears need to adjust to the sound). When it comes to headphone listening, I'm generally a tubes guy to begin with but the Qualias just scream out for the warmth that the Maestro (tubes done right) gives to them.

The R10, for example, already have and extremely euphoric midrange and don't really "need" tubes so badly (although they do actually perform well with tube amps).

So my only advice would be that (for me) you're on the right track if the amps you're considering have a warm, musical presentation (as most tube amps do). Avoid any amps that are overly clinical in their presentation (meaning extremely quick and detailed but 'matter of fact'). To me, that's what the Qualias do best, so an amp that tames the upper end a bit and gives some warmth to the presentation is what I'd be looking for.

The Maestro certainly does this, and exceptionally well at that. But I can't really say how it would compare to the other amps you're considering. I do have an EAR V20 but can't really comment on how it would compare to the HP4. I've only used it with the K1000 (with great results).

Feb 10, 2007 at 6:22 AM Post #5 of 6
I'm assuming that you are still using the 6SN7s as a driver and output tubes, so it is time for you to upgrade your Supra. I recently had my SDS upgraded with blackgates, adjustable bias, high voltage, and high output capacitor and the improvement is very dramatic. I'm now using the 6414 or 2c51 as a driver tubes and 6BL7GT/6BL7GTA as output tubes. I heard the Qualia with the SDS before and they sound quite good together.

Quote:

I've not heard the Qualia with the other amps that you've mentioned but do think that they sound absolutely wonderful, fantastic, terrific, amazing out of the Singlepower Maestro. Actually, that amp seems to make practically any headphones that I throw at it sound great.

Can't agree with you more Wayne.

Feb 10, 2007 at 7:58 AM Post #6 of 6
Yes I'm still using the 6SN7's. I'm not sure what Mikhail is working up for the Supra upgrade, I believe changing to the new tubes (the ones used in the Extreme) and building a seperate power supply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back