Ugrade from AKG K701 to Grado PS 500 or Beyerdynamic T1 ?
May 27, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #121 of 139
Rock is not only about "fast pace" music. There are more variables like tonal balance, timbre, upfront presentation, guitar crunch, bass presence, mid-bass enfasis for kick drums, etc. At least in my opinion.

I find the sr325is a lot more enjoyable with rock and metal than LCD-2. Technically the Audeze are better, much more expensive and better for other music genres. But I like the 325 more for rock & metal. The K701 are quicker than the 325, but they fail with rock music.

It is not only speed.

In a short listening session I can find the K701 interesting with rock. They have very good qualities that I can find good for that genre, even better than 325is. The string instruments sound very good. After a short listen one can think that the K701 can be good "speedy" rock cans (with some EQ help for bass, of course). But..... after listening to more than one full album, you may end with a headache by the disconected sounds because the excesive width of the soundstage and the lack of background and body. I don't know how to explain it.

But this hobby is all about personal preferences. If you find the HD800 better for indie/rock, I have nothing to object.

May 27, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #123 of 139
Yes, It make sense. It's about personal preferences. At the time I was buying SR225i. I compared them with SR325i and didn't like SR325i at all. But it was not very log listening session. It took me two weeks of home use to decide if I should buy  HD800 or RS1i. So quick comparison in shop could be misleading for final decision which cans to buy....

Jun 12, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #126 of 139
Quote:

I miss mine too.

I think PS500 are going to be my next cans though.

I was planing to buy PS500, but I was unable to hear them before purchase. I heard HD800 instead and end up buying them
smily_headphones1.gif
. I have bought M-DAC for them and headphone out on this unit is excellent. I was planning V200 AMP, but I do not know if it will be huge difference  compare to M-DAC HP out...

Jun 12, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #127 of 139
Glad you got the 800's. I auditioned them alongside the PS500 and much preferred the Senns overall, though the PS500 shined on certin tracks. I found the 800 smoother, flatter (response wise) and much better down low.

Nov 21, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #129 of 139
Grado ps 500 = psytrance , skazi sounds utterly amazing, especially the album my way,
Some of the mid bass boomy tracks like malice in wonderland - mad moments needs a bit of eq, -2 or 3db @ 90 htz, q= .8 using rockbox end ipod,

All of my psytrance sounds amazing on these cans, even the faster paced psy core and goa Gil's latest comps sounds just like being next to a speaker rig

Mar 1, 2013 at 3:20 AM Post #130 of 139
Quote:
V200 works really well with the HD-800

For me it was not good pairing. I had this combination for couple weeks and in the end I end up selling HD800 and returning V200. During that time I auditioned he-500 and LCD-2. Now I am using LCD-2 from M-DACs headphone output. LCDs 2 sounded better from M-DAC(A08 not 0.90). Sound from V200 was distorted, little bit muddy, less airy compared to M-DAC.

May 15, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #133 of 139
Quote:
I have to agree, I don't find the T1s boring in the slightest. I think they are pretty lively and engaging.

You people sound like as if T1 is just a pretty good headphones. To my ears, this is probably the best headphones after the HD800! Balanced, holographic imaging, bass details, sparkly highs, transient attacks, on and on! Not to mention its elegant industrial aesthetics. My gawd, people.:" Yeah, I heard T1. It's alright..."

rolleyes.gif

Now the Grado 225 is very good headphones for the money. In fact, I would get the SR80 which sounds very similar to the 225 and sounds incredibly transparent straight out of iPhone.
If you have the money, skip the 225 go straight to the RS1. But between PS500 and the Beyer, I'd pick the Beyer for sheer balance, imaging, and yes, looks. 

May 15, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #134 of 139
Quote:

I second this.  I used to have the K701 at the same time as the T1.  The T1 while still on the bright side is warmer than the K701, added with the extra bass - both quantity as well as quality - and presenting music in a fuller manner makes the T1 quite a bit more "fun" sounding than the K701 with pop and rock songs.  Eventually I stopped listening to the K701 and sold it because the T1 was better in every way.  

AKG phones are a little too bright for my taste. Some recommends pairing it with a tube amp like Valhalla. The Beyer seems to be able to produce the same sweet treble without the ear-piercing side effects. 

May 15, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #135 of 139
Quote:
AKG phones are a little too bright for my taste. Some recommends pairing it with a tube amp like Valhalla. The Beyer seems to be able to produce the same sweet treble without the ear-piercing side effects. 

In my experience is the other way around, here is more info: http://www.head-fi.org/t/595522/akg-k702-vs-beyerdynamic-t1-in-the-studio

Users who are viewing this thread

Back