Ugrade from AKG K701 to Grado PS 500 or Beyerdynamic T1 ?
Mar 7, 2012 at 6:30 AM Post #61 of 139
popcorn.gif

Mar 7, 2012 at 6:43 AM Post #63 of 139
You know for someone who likes to post Headroom graphs so much it seems strange to not actually read the site's own "how to interpret" section for the frequency response.

http://www.headphone.com/learning-center/about-headphone-measurements.php

How to interpret the line: A "natural sounding" headphone should be slightly higher in the bass (about 3 or 4 dB) between 40Hz and 500Hz. This compensates for the fact that headphones don't give you the physical punch or 'impact' that the sound waves from a room speaker have; so a slight compensation for increased bass response is needed for natural sound.

Seems that from the graph the T1 does *exactly* that - a 3 or 4dB boost in that region.  Whereas the K701 actually rolls off too soon and doesn't reach the required loudness level at the same time (around 2dB for the most part).  The graph and the data is actually supporting that the T1 is more natural sounding than the K701 and not what you say Acix.

Mar 7, 2012 at 6:45 AM Post #64 of 139

Quote:
Yeah very concise response coming from someone who listens with graphs. That's probably the reason:

Dude, I don't want to insult you, your comments already sounds immature...and Yes!  I compare the T1 to the K702 on my Phonitor, here if the full review : http://www.head-fi.org/t/595522/akg-k702-vs-beyerdynamic-t1-in-the-studio

Mar 7, 2012 at 6:47 AM Post #65 of 139
So did OP make a decision? haha. 
gs1000.gif

Mar 7, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #67 of 139
It depends on your music needs really. I use my RS1i for rock, and I prefer them over my other headphones. But besides that, I don't use the Grado for anything else.

Quote:
Well, so far I'm convinced that T1 is certainly step up. I must agree that sound of K 701 isn't musical. It is analytical sound and with some songs even boring. Still nobody with Grodo 500 experience out there? What about T1 vs Grado RS1i or Grado GS1000i?

Mar 7, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #68 of 139
I've heard the GS1000i and HF2 (very similar to the PS500 from what I've read).

The GS1000i is very forward with lovely mids and bass. The treble is still quite pronounced, as it is with all Grado headphones. The soundstage is also quite wide and has nice separation. Though IMO this is not a high end headphone, not is it an upgrade. It's my belief that the headphone is still mid-fi and on par with the RS1i, the pads are just bigger and the sound is tuned accordingly. I had Jumbo pads on my SR-80i and it had about the same soundstage and separation as the GS1000i did. They are a lot more detailed than my SR-80i's, but not much more than the RS1i. My opinion though...

The HF2 sounds very different than the K701. It's darker, smoother, and more robust in the bass region. It's signature reminds me of the HD650, but does not have that overly smooth sound to it nor does it have the severe treble roll off. The sound signature change will be vastly different and as such you may need time to adjust. The soundstage is also very constricted. The detail level is a bit better than the RS1i, but not but much.

Mar 8, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #70 of 139

Quote:
So Grado cans won't in the same class as T1 then? Well I'm starting now thinking about LCD 2 cans. What about these two T1 and LCD 2?

The T1 and LCD-2 are totally different, just do a search on here and you will see countless threads on them. Many people argue the case of headphone "superiority" based on graphs, acoustic design, brand etc... the reality is that everything is really subjective, for example ever since purchasing the ESW9's 6 months ago all my other headphones have been gathering dust, the W5000, K701 and DT150. Many would argue those headphones would be an "upgrade" to the ESW-9's, technically they would be right, but I enjoy the sound characteristics so much that for me the ESW9's trump all the others in my collection. Having been a massive W5000 fan, the ESW9's came as big surprise since they were only meant for portable use, so I guess it is important not to focus so much on "classes" of headphones and prices but rather more on your preference for sound and what you value to be important in a headphone. Sadly it took me awhile to realize that lol... good luck!

Mar 8, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #71 of 139

Quote:

The T1 and LCD-2 are totally different, just do a search on here and you will see countless threads on them. Many people argue the case of headphone "superiority" based on graphs, acoustic design, brand etc... the reality is that everything is really subjective, for example ever since purchasing the ESW9's 6 months ago all my other headphones have been gathering dust, the W5000, K701 and DT150. Many would argue those headphones would be an "upgrade" to the ESW-9's, technically they would be right, but I enjoy the sound characteristics so much that for me the ESW9's trump all the others in my collection. Having been a massive W5000 fan, the ESW9's came as big surprise since they were only meant for portable use, so I guess it is important not to focus so much on "classes" of headphones and prices but rather more on your preference for sound and what you value to be important in a headphone. Sadly it took me awhile to realize that lol... good luck!

It makes totally sense! Thanks for advice!

"I guess it is important not to focus so much on "classes" of headphones and prices but rather more on your preference for sound and what you value to be important in a headphone"

Mar 14, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #72 of 139

Quote:
I'm confused, I was told it would be fine for the Q701s, and the Claro II isn't exactly a slouch in the DAC department. I've never heard any externals, granted, but everything has sounded very nice and clear. If I have to buy over 200 dollars of equipment just to use the headphones, I'm not so sure since I am on a bit of a budget. I was just planning on building an O2 and using that with my soundcard until the ODAC came out and was good. Are the headphones going to be awful coming from a high end soundcard then? Maybe I should be looking at other headphones...

I had opportunity to compare AKG K701 and GRADO sr225i. For Radiohead and PJ Harvey stuff definitely Grado is better choice!

Mar 14, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #73 of 139
I totally agree with eh sentiment of MikePio' post.  Each of the headphone's mentioned have their own strengths/weaknesses, and it really comes down to what sound-signature moves you most of the time.  I have the HF2's, which are very similar to the PS500s, and really love the grado sound-signature.  The have amazing bass depth and impact, and really suit most music styles I like: rock (especially hard rock), electronic (Thom Yorke's solo albums were only compelling to me after hearing them on the HF2s), and Jazz.  I am really satisfied with those phones for most applications, but I do miss the soundstage of the higher-end Beyers and the K701s.  I find that I listened to Classical less with the grados, and I wish the soundstage was a bit expanded with some music.  The Grado's are super easy to drive, though, and really fun.  I just picked up some digizoids, and there is no setup better for some good old-fashioned had-banging.
Anyway, back to the original point, is try to demo each one if you can, and see what you like.  If you don't have access to multiple phones to demo, read the reviews on this site by some real lovers of that phone, and see what music they listen to.  Personally, I would totally buy the ps500's over the T1s, even if they were the same price, but I can't argue that it's a better headphone.  Oh, and if you do go the Grado route, the pads make a huge difference; I love the flats and g-cush, but hate the standard bowls.  Good luck with your purchase!

Mar 15, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #75 of 139

Quote:
I totally agree with eh sentiment of MikePio' post.  Each of the headphone's mentioned have their own strengths/weaknesses, and it really comes down to what sound-signature moves you most of the time.  I have the HF2's, which are very similar to the PS500s, and really love the grado sound-signature.  The have amazing bass depth and impact, and really suit most music styles I like: rock (especially hard rock), electronic (Thom Yorke's solo albums were only compelling to me after hearing them on the HF2s), and Jazz.  I am really satisfied with those phones for most applications, but I do miss the soundstage of the higher-end Beyers and the K701s.  I find that I listened to Classical less with the grados, and I wish the soundstage was a bit expanded with some music.  The Grado's are super easy to drive, though, and really fun.  I just picked up some digizoids, and there is no setup better for some good old-fashioned had-banging.
Anyway, back to the original point, is try to demo each one if you can, and see what you like.  If you don't have access to multiple phones to demo, read the reviews on this site by some real lovers of that phone, and see what music they listen to.  Personally, I would totally buy the ps500's over the T1s, even if they were the same price, but I can't argue that it's a better headphone.  Oh, and if you do go the Grado route, the pads make a huge difference; I love the flats and g-cush, but hate the standard bowls.  Good luck with your purchase!

I compared Grado sr225i and RS1i. RS1i are better, but I don't know about the price difference. I liked both. I was unable to demo PS 500. RS1i seems to be overpriced. But I can not be sure, because overall it was 30 minutes demo of both cans...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back