Ugliest Grado Mod Ever
Jan 29, 2006 at 3:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 62

Shaikoten

100+ Head-Fier
I wanted to get rid of the grattle in my SR-60s a couple weeks ago, so I took them apart. I got the stray hairs out, and everything was fine and dandy. Then I figured, since they were apart, I should go ahead and mod. And mod I did. I threw this together using a hair guard designed for showers.

I can't really decide if it's ugly or if it looks decent. I haven't glued anything yet, and I'm pondering if I should put the buttons on or not. Any feedback, let me know.

Jan 29, 2006 at 3:47 AM Post #3 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonic_rage
hey, that's a pretty cool aesthetic mod.

does it do anything for the sound though?

keep the stainless steel blinging!

Honestly, I've never heard any difference in sound with Grados unless the passage is COMPLETELY blocked, so if there is a difference, it's too minute to tell.
Edit: Oh, I just checked, it's aluminium
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 29, 2006 at 3:57 AM Post #5 of 62
I seriously loled! That's great
smily_headphones1.gif
I would have never thought to use drain guards as grills. Home Depot sells some awesome looking mesh in the gutter section that would be much cheaper (I paid $1.29).

I'm not sure if they would sound too good like that either. The drain grill is a little to restricting in reguards to sound waves, you would probably get a lot of reflection compared to the stock grills.

Jan 29, 2006 at 4:01 AM Post #6 of 62
hmmmmm

i hate to be the first one to say it

but that looks pretty darn ghetto
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 29, 2006 at 4:04 AM Post #7 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaikoten
Any feedback, let me know.

Yes, I clicked on the offensive picture link for imageshack.
wink.gif

Jan 29, 2006 at 4:05 AM Post #8 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by idiotekniQues
hmmmmm

i hate to be the first one to say it

but that looks pretty darn ghetto
very_evil_smiley.gif

"Ghetto" yet creative idea that had positive results.
eggosmile.gif

Though I think it would look better if it had a badge or something at the center of it.

Jan 29, 2006 at 4:05 AM Post #9 of 62
Yeah sorry dude but I would re-think that one...
confused.gif
rolleyes.gif

Jan 29, 2006 at 4:06 AM Post #11 of 62
It doesn't look that bad actually. As long as your happy and you like it then that is all that matters. The Mike Jones mod is by far the ugliest I have ever seen.

Jan 29, 2006 at 4:08 AM Post #12 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by saturnine
I seriously loled! That's great
smily_headphones1.gif
I would have never thought to use drain guards as grills. Home Depot sells some awesome looking mesh in the gutter section that would be much cheaper (I paid $1.29).

I'm not sure if they would sound too good like that either. The drain grill is a little to restricting in reguards to sound waves, you would probably get a lot of reflection compared to the stock grills.

The drain guards were, believe it or not, 89 cents! I still have the stock grills here that I can easily switch out, and don't notice any difference in sound quality at all, and I usually have a decent ear for that kind of thing, so it appears to be purely aesthetic. Now I'm just wondering if I should put the buttons back on...

Jan 29, 2006 at 4:13 AM Post #13 of 62
Haha, you definitely get an A for originality!

Jan 29, 2006 at 4:17 AM Post #14 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF
It doesn't look that bad actually. As long as your happy and you like it then that is all that matters. The Mike Jones mod is by far the ugliest I have ever seen.

Was that the silver paint? If so, yeah, that was pretty horrible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back