UgHH! I'm sick....
Jan 13, 2005 at 4:29 PM Post #16 of 44
i've been tempting fate - my wife and kid got their flu shots they've been healthy all winter. but i never got the time to get one and i'm starting to feel a bit of the energy getting sapped out of me - i'm not down and out yet tho. but now i'm getting paranoid - is it too late to get a flu shot?

Jan 13, 2005 at 4:52 PM Post #17 of 44
i think i caught the flu. i'm in bed with a sore throat and body aches as i type right now instead of being at work.
frown.gif

this is the second time i got sick this year; i caught the cold a month before, but fought that quite easily... didn't last for more than three days. i could deal with sneezing and a slight cough, but body aches, fever, and sore throat are the worst!
mad.gif

i usually never get sick. ever since i came to my current job (July 2000), i've probably taken five sick days at the most, and none of them were from a cold and flu. i've got a great track record. i always tell my friends (who all normally get sick at least once a year) that i'm immune to the common cold and flu (sort of an inside joke), but this year is different. it really hit me hard. i don't remember being sick TWICE in the winter season.

Jan 13, 2005 at 5:22 PM Post #18 of 44
I hardly ever get sick, but I'm just getting over a cold. I went out to a big New Year's party at a friend's house and there were probably 30 or 40 people there. A day or two later, I had a really bad scratchy sore throat. I thought that was odd but didn't chalk it up to a cold right away. Then my ears started feeling funny and my nose got plugged up and it was a cold. Though it only lasted maybe a week, could have been a lot worse. A couple others caught apparently the same cold at the party. Still others came down with a nasty flu that one guy described as "all the colds I've ever had...at the same time". So really I didn't do too badly not catching that.

Jan 13, 2005 at 5:23 PM Post #19 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
i've been tempting fate - my wife and kid got their flu shots they've been healthy all winter. but i never got the time to get one and i'm starting to feel a bit of the energy getting sapped out of me - i'm not down and out yet tho. but now i'm getting paranoid - is it too late to get a flu shot?

Jahn, if you're in Queens or any other part of NYC, be warned! There is a very nasty bug that starts out with severe stomach symptoms (nausea, vomiting, etc.) that then becomes a very hard, high fever, upper respiratory virus. It's got the emergency rooms of the city on a "catastrophe" footing, with all beds taken at the Queens and Brooklyn hospitals because the elderly and little kids take a real beating from it. My brother is chief of medicine at one one of the city's larger hospitals, and he told me they were seeing as many as 250 admissions daily for this thing which is also paralyzing the Manhattan ERs now. (I don't know how this hasn't made the news.) I know this because I'm just getting over it myself, and it's wicked! I started feeling sick Friday night and couldn't tear myself off the bed unassisted until Monday! I'm still not 100%, but I'm light years away from where I was Sat and Sun. Now, it just feels like a run of the mill head - chest cold.

Jan 13, 2005 at 5:26 PM Post #20 of 44
WHAT THE HECK?

come to think of it the week before new years someone on our floor come down with something like that, she was out for almost 2 weeks. i better go get that flu shot!

Jan 13, 2005 at 5:40 PM Post #21 of 44
Relax, I had the flu shot, this is not flu. Or if it is flu, it's a new strain not covered by the flu shot. Otherwise there wouldn't be so many elderly affected. You won't die of this, but you may wish you were dead for a day or two!
eek.gif

Jan 13, 2005 at 5:42 PM Post #22 of 44
oh damn... i hope i don't catch that! it's scary to think how many people from different boroughs pass through Manhattan in a day, and many of them could be carrying that nasty stomach/flu bug. you could catch it on the subway, street, building elevators, etc... worst part for me is that i get off at one of the most busiest stations in Manhattan; 34th Street Penn Station. come to think of it there's people from New Jersey that uses that station too. i would say that's a pretty high risk area.

Jan 13, 2005 at 5:45 PM Post #24 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears
Relax, I had the flu shot, this is not flu. Or if it is flu, it's a new strain not covered by the flu shot. Otherwise there wouldn't be so many elderly affected. You won't die of this, but you may wish you were dead for a day or two!
eek.gif

flu shot wont help? ah well - never can find the time to get up there during biz hours anyhow. Go White Cells, go!

I think I'll bring some Purell to work just in case. I have a crapload of it from when we were paranoid about the baby. Crazy, for some reason we don't sanitize our hands EVERY time we touch our baby anymore - and he hasn't croaked yet.

Jan 13, 2005 at 5:47 PM Post #25 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by wallijonn
Maybe you should have put 3 drops of Hydrogen Peroxide in your ears when you first started feeling sick.
biggrin.gif

I showered in Dihydrogen Monoxide this morning - does that count?
cool.gif

Jan 13, 2005 at 9:41 PM Post #29 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by highflyin9
Ahh lucky you! Wouldn't want to miss out on any school
wink.gif

The last few days before school I was in that grey area, where you're sick but it's not enough to warrant missing school. Sickness would only increase my misery in class.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back