ugh... the cost of text books
Aug 29, 2009 at 8:12 AM Post #16 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is another good reason to be an English major. In undergrad, I was able to pick up used books for a song. They don't constantly "update" literature to force you to buy the latest version.

The initial investment in textbooks is worth it. I recently sold the bulk of my engineering textbooks (especially the ChemE) for a significant fraction of what I paid. Appreciation of textbook value means that I got to use these books for almost free. And I have an engineering degree.

Aug 29, 2009 at 1:18 PM Post #17 of 34
The problem with buying online is that I usually need a special UB edition of the book... I also keep all my books so buying new makes more sense for me. It's just nuts, $200 for an evolutionary bio book.

Aug 29, 2009 at 1:20 PM Post #18 of 34
I'm waiting for classes to start to buy books since they could change the book on me or maybe even not use it.

Aug 29, 2009 at 1:21 PM Post #19 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only one solution... http://www.chegg.com/

This for the books I actually need, but I don't need about three-fourths of the books I'm told to buy. And half of the remaining quarter are special college-affiliated books that cost under $25 a pop.

Aug 29, 2009 at 1:44 PM Post #20 of 34
I'm a business undergrad, I generally pay at least $600 per semester, more if I get everything new. (Which sometimes I have no choice but to) Last semester, a cool friend sold me a $160 book for $40, and even gave me his beaten up (but usable) stats text. (Worth $180+)

Aug 29, 2009 at 2:11 PM Post #21 of 34
I might be showing my age, but I just pulled out my old Physics textbook off the shelf. Fundamentals of Physics by Halliday and Resnick, 827 pages hardback. I used this for Newtonian Physics and Electricity & Magnetism so the cost was spread out over two courses.

The price stamped on the inside cover: $17.95!

Aug 29, 2009 at 2:40 PM Post #22 of 34
When I buy my book I try to get them through Amazon, eBay, or friends who have used ones. It is much cheaper and it is better for the environment because it is re-using paper
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 29, 2009 at 3:13 PM Post #23 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just bought my books for the semester, 4 classes and I ended up spending $800
frown.gif
I think this is my worst semester so far when it comes to the cost of books.

that sounds about right. Should have bought used online or the paperback version from Singapore/HK
wink.gif

Aug 29, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #25 of 34
I am starting my senior year in mechanical engineering and have yet to purchase a single textbook. I have gotten very lucky that i have several co-workers who are a few years older than me who let me borrow the books each semester. It saves me a lot of money, but it still would be nice to actually purchase some books because some of them seem like they would be worth keeping for a future reference. I really don't know how people have the money to spend $700 a semester on some books that may or may not be used.

Aug 29, 2009 at 4:17 PM Post #26 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBoss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that's just ******** huh

I'm taking accounting and i order most of those books in paperback, international format of the same edition. The only difference between international and American is the use of hardcover for american edition, and no wonder the american one is expensive.

Same here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kh6idf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I might be showing my age, but I just pulled out my old Physics textbook off the shelf. Fundamentals of Physics by Halliday and Resnick, 827 pages hardback. I used this for Newtonian Physics and Electricity & Magnetism so the cost was spread out over two courses.

The price stamped on the inside cover: $17.95!

WOW. Add an extra zero to the end of that figure, and you would be right on with textbook retail prices these days...

--------------------------------

I love it though when I have professors who are against the gouging of students from having to purchase the NEWEST editions of books every semester. Instead they have you buy used and much older editions with great prices!

Aug 29, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #27 of 34
Although it took me a while to succumb and make the purchase, I upgraded to the Amazon.com prime account and have been pleased thoroughly. The $80 price-tag is a bit shocking at first but having free two-day shipping has been a huge convenience. I make a big chunk of my online purchases through Amazon.com and more than recoup the costs from the lower prices you "usually" find trough Amazon. Last semester I think I made out with books for 4 classes for about $100, not bad considering how much some people have to spend. I'm in the humanities so none of my purchases were textbooks, but I'd still recommend being that person who goes to the college bookstore to write down all of the ISBN's and the runs home to order them online...

Aug 29, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #28 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Philimon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love it though when I have professors who are against the gouging of students from having to purchase the NEWEST editions of books every semester. Instead they have you buy used and much older editions with great prices!

Heh. They say they're helping the students by doing that? That's rich. Many just don't want to learn the material in new edition. Requires much less prep time to just use the edition they used the previous year.

Aug 30, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #30 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The problem with buying online is that I usually need a special UB edition of the book... I also keep all my books so buying new makes more sense for me. It's just nuts, $200 for an evolutionary bio book.

What evo bio book are you using? The bookstore wanted $220 for my biochem book, half.com gave it to me for $70 new. What's a UB edition?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back