UGH...I think i'm about to make an impulse buy..please help
Dec 6, 2005 at 4:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

brian183

100+ Head-Fier
So I was browsing this particular forum for advice on what to get for new bookself speakers and I came across a thread about athena S2 speakers. I also found a link that goes to a site that sells the S2 pair for 120USD on clearence. After some research, turns out the S2 has very positive reviews and I couldn't really find anything bad about them. I believe these are on clearence because they're "last years" model of the S2. So I look a bit more at this clearence site and find the S3 is only 200USD (just great...keep sucking on my wallet athena). Then I find out the subwoofer P2 is only 160USD (for a pair would be 320). Now I'm crying.
So far I haven't made any purchases but my finger is jus icthin' to make a few clicks to get a great deal on a NICE speaker setup. Should I do the highly regarded S2/P2 combo or should I just get the S2. Maybe I should choose the in between and get the S3.
To power these speakers I'll going from my emu0404->sansui 7000(as my preamp)->mcintosh MC2105 power amp. I realize the mcintosh is a bit overboard but the sansui speaker outs are really noisy yet the preamp sounds fine. This line will probably be consolidated to a Tamp eventually or some other integrated amp.

thanx for your help.

Dec 6, 2005 at 6:23 PM Post #2 of 7
I've never heard anything bad about Athena speakers. A friend of mine loves his and I've heard lots of great stuff about them on the net as well. It may be an impulse buy, but I think you'll be happy with them. Getting a lot of bang for your buck is a good way to head off the upgrade bug.

Dec 6, 2005 at 9:00 PM Post #3 of 7
An interesting dilemma here....while I have been a "headphones only" person for years now, I do, from time to time, read loudspeaker reviews. I, too, know of nothing negative regarding Athena. However, if I ever did find an affordable speaker that could match my HD595s, it would have to be a two-way configuration. I know this goes against the grain, but I actually prefer a two-way, small box set up over a three-way (or more) floorstander or subwoofer set up. Yes, I know I would miss some of the bottom octave, but, for my dough, my dream speaker would be the Von Schweikert VR-1--beautiful sound and craftsmanship (and a 10-year warranty) for $995 USD. That is all I would need, even on a generous budget...in such a case, I would spend the remainder on a top-notch source.

On a tight (sub-$500) budget, I would suggest a nice two-way: perhaps the Epos ELS-3. I have also heard good things about Axiom's budget two-way line (which I think begins at about $280 or $300 USD). A small box will always resonate less than a big box. They also tend to produce a better stereo image.

Dec 8, 2005 at 6:18 AM Post #4 of 7
Indeed I did look at those particular models you mentioned but I stumbled across the "clearence" section of athena and saw a pair of new S2 for 120USD and my search was over. I'll be sure to post comments on what I think about them when they get here. I already have my sansui mcintosh combo set up in preparation. I really need to find a new preamp for my mcintosh....the sansui is developing some serious problems in it's old age that I'd rather not deal with anymore. I was looking at firestones tube preamp as a possibilty but I think I might prowl the pawn shops/ebay for an integrated or actual preamp. Thanx for the response.

Dec 9, 2005 at 3:06 AM Post #5 of 7
If you do not have any complex switching or input/output needs, I would highly recommend the Channel Islands Audio VPC-2 Passive Controller (preamp). As you may note below, I have the Channel Islands headphone amp. It is one of the best headphone amps (if not the best) I have heard. I like Dusty's (owner of Channel Islands) philosophy. He makes gear that could be priced much higher. We have spoken at length about the "snob appeal" of high price tags, and frivolous, useless nonsense. Indeed, the CI gear is as "no-nonsense" as anything I have seen (or heard).

With reagrd to an integrated, I would tend to stay away from them. I am a "separate box" type of person, and, if I ever went back to a loudspeaker system, I would opt for a separate amp and preamp. Yes, there are some nicer integrateds on the market now, but with the CI, Monolithic, and other gear so competitively priced, why go integrated?

Mar 22, 2009 at 12:03 PM Post #6 of 7
Life's a b*tch. I'm getting offered some Athena S2's for around US$100 and I dunno whether to get them. I only got one day to decide
frown.gif

HELP!

Currently got M-Audio DX4's.....

Yay for 3+year old bump.

Mar 22, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #7 of 7
If it helps I own a pair of athena f-2's and some as-2.2's, also have the matching subwoofer. I planned on purchasing the center at one point but forgot about it!

They are great budget speakers, I'm not a speaker-fi guy but the get the job done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back