UE5cs vs. Livewires + Custom Cables ES2/UE/Pure Silver [Pics up the Wazoo]
Mar 1, 2008 at 8:36 PM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by jgonino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks like livewires can really compete with the best. I cannot believe they can offer a comparable product at one third the cost!

So true!

Mar 2, 2008 at 1:52 AM Post #17 of 25
Haha Thanks guys, for the compliments. Lately I have been so crazy swamped with exams that I haven't had the opportunity to really give all of these things a listen. I will definitely post a followup comparing the silver cable and the UE stock cable, soon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by StudioAce /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was wondering if you can see any crossover network wired into the UE's. Anything like resistors, capacitors, inductors? Or maybe even a printed circuit board. In other words is there anything (component) wired in line to any of the drivers from the the connector, compared to LW's that just has 4 wires from the connector to the drivers?

Just curious,

Thanks

I am not very sure what the component is, but there is a box in line between the connector and the first larger driver. I am not sure that it is really though, and cannot even venture a guess. If you would like a picture, I would be happy to oblige.

Quote:

Originally Posted by webbie64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2.

Julie, did you have any opinions on the various cables used with the UEs?

For instance did the silver (and I'm assuming it's had 150+hours on it of course) add some more of the analytical nature you like in the livewires to the warmth you like in the UE5cs?

Sorry webbie! I have been so busy that I haven't had the chance to really test all the cables to really distinguish them sonically. At the moment the pure silver cable is at about 3 hours of solid listening, and they sounded marvelous from the beginning, but I have not had the opportunity to compare them to the UE/ES2. I plan to work on that!

IMG_0127.jpg

I have gotten a lot of pms, and questions about the cable...I actually won this cable off of ebay from a rep of a guy who owns a hifi store in HK. It ran me about $60...a great deal in my opinion considering the build quality of this thing alone. The cable is flexible, but of course not as flexible as the clothlike UE/ES2, nor the livewires plastic cable. It does not tangle, fold, and at this point, seems impervious to the greening issue (since it is pure silver). At the moment, this cable is one of a kind. I asked the seller if he had anymore to sell and I was highly interested in purchasing another one. The representative told me that this cable required a lot of hours of work, and was painstakingly built, so the hifi store owner guy does not plan to make anymore due to the labor haha. Construction truly is a killer, because cable makers such as ALO have balked at making a custom UE cables. Anyway, I tried to post as upclose pics as possible for possible DIYers who want to take the challenge!!

Alright back to studying!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kosmic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X3.

Looks like you work hard, and play hard.
cool.gif

I try...haha.

Mar 2, 2008 at 8:57 AM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by filipelli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not very sure what the component is, but there is a box in line between the connector and the first larger driver. I am not sure that it is really though, and cannot even venture a guess. If you would like a picture, I would be happy to oblige.

Hey that would be great , if it would not be too much trouble for you to take a picture for me. I am interested in what the crossover might be in those IEM's.
I guess you could send it to me in a private message, or just post it here.
BTW.....They look really nice.

Thanks,
Ace

Mar 2, 2008 at 5:58 PM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by StudioAce /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey that would be great , if it would not be too much trouble for you to take a picture for me. I am interested in what the crossover might be in those IEM's.
I guess you could send it to me in a private message, or just post it here.
BTW.....They look really nice.

Thanks,
Ace

Posting it here would be cool, as i am interested too
cool.gif

Matt

May 1, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #24 of 25
really nice thread Julie! thanks for your initial impressions. so now that you have hopefully broken in the silver cable and kicked butt on your finals (not in that order necessarily), what are your impressions of the upgraded cable? thanks,
jeff h

May 6, 2008 at 4:19 AM Post #25 of 25
well, i talked with John at Livewires last week and i'm about to take the plunge. he asked how i had heard about their product and i replied "head-fi - of course". John is certainly happy with all the business this forum sends him and i have to say that the customer support from Livewires has been top notch. i highly recommend asking Livewires for an impression recommendation in your town - John saved me a bunch of money by sending me to the right place. now - choosing a color combo...

jeff h

Users who are viewing this thread

Back