UE5cs vs. Livewires + Custom Cables ES2/UE/Pure Silver [Pics up the Wazoo]
Feb 29, 2008 at 7:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

filipelli

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello head-fi!
Well, the UE5cs are in! I have not had the time to do any real listening because of exams (3 this week, along with a paper), but I just thought I would post some initial impressions, as well as some fun pictures for people looking at the lower end of custom IEMS. I have not had the time to really think about anything other than QSAR and post transcriptional modifications, so here are just some little tidbits I noticed comparing the UE5c from my own reference IEM, the Livewires.

Background/musical preferences
Livewires

Like some of you guys may know, I consider myself faithfully, and truthfully, a grado gal. I enjoy a lot of different genres of music, but most of my collection consists of indie rock, new wave and ambient/electronic music. Before I got my livewires, I was looking for a IEM that would give me the excitement and punch of the grado house sound, while being as comfortable as possible.
UE5c
Although I love livewires, I started to feel pangs for something different. A lot of members asked me why I went for UE5cs – a dual driver that is comparable to the IEMs I already owned. Part of it was because I wanted to hear the house UE sound, and part of it was because I wanted something different…on the cheap if possible. I heard the UE5cs were bassy, so I went for them to compare directly to another dual armature IEM, the livewires

Packaging/Extras/Service

With a price difference of about $300, the UE customer service definitely beats out the livewires and this is probably because of the relative size of each company. UE has been established for professionals and consumers alike, while livewires was a start up at the time when I bought a set. UE answered my questions immediately, made small changes to my order on my request, and have been responsive to a possible refit – more on that later. The $300 while getting me more personalized service, also got me a personalized hard shell foamlined case ($40), a smaller IEM only case ($15) and a shrink wrapped package for them.
The LW team was not shabby either. The head hauncho, Mr. Diles, was my correspondant from the company, and he was equally responsive to my emails. In recent weeks however, customers have started to find that follow up is increasingly frustrating since they have not been answering emails. This is probably due to their growing fanbase and interested customers. My livewires came in back then, in bubble wrap and a plastic generic case probably worth less than $5 to be made. I do not really use it anyway, but that is where part of the price difference lies.

Build quality
LW – For being fresh into the market, the LW had amazing build quality on first look. Edges were smooth, no acrylic bubbles and flush connectors put together with attention to detail. Great looking IEM. Virtually no microphonics when the cable is lopped over your ear. Personally, I cut off the memory wire tubing because it was annoying, and this made the comfort of the cables much more preferable.
UE5c – Obviously UE knows what they are doing. However under close observation of the UEs I can see parts where the liquid acrylic formed an internal bubble. Not the tiny foamy bubbles of some IEMS, but bubbles that appeared to separate the insides of the IEM into chambers. I actually like the look, because it makes my clear UE5cs look like glass.

"Initial" impressions UE5c vs. LW

LW – I have said it once and I will say it again! The LW are incredibly accurate. They transmit the quality of the recording you are listening to as well as your source! There is a great deal of clarity, with very pronounced mids and lows. These IEMS can be considered “bright” because of their highs. While I have never had a complaint against this (because of my inclination towards punchy and clean), people who are into the more dark and robust sound may find the LW bright a little too bright. Nevertheless, the bass is very present on these IEMS, not in a BOOM BOOM way, but a THUD THUD kind of way, if that makes any sense. Paired with my zune 80, I found that there was a great balance between the player and then IEMS, so the LW will do great if you have a source that it can mesh well with.

UE5C – From the brief experiences I have with this IEM, these things are BASSY. The bass for these monitors are in fact of the boom boom variety, and in fact vibrate the monitors in my ears just slightly. They do not have the clarity that the LW have off the get go, as much of the music that wants to push its way into your ears is accentuated by the bass from the monitors. The music however has that extra warmth that the LW lacks( due to its analytical nature). The highs, mids and lows of various musical pieces seem to just clump together and mold together. This is not to say that this is bad, but in comparison to the LW, the UE5c did not have the same kind of definition and separation of the LW. Instead the UEs seemed to take in the music and reinterpret it to make it all ebb and flow together into the highs, mids, and lows.

So in the end, I cannot say which IEM I like more, because they are both very different. At the moment I prefer the UE5cs because of the warmth and robustness of the sound, and the ability of the UEs to make the music cohesive and full. But I imagine myself to prefer the LW when I really want to get down to listening analytically.

IMG_0128.jpg

IMG_0127.jpg

Feb 29, 2008 at 7:27 PM Post #2 of 25
Some members here have asked me to post some pictures of a new custom UE cable I recently acquired. This was a DIY by a real handy guy in Hong Kong, which he painstakingly made with great attention to detail and quality. For those of you out there with interest in UE, ES2 and custom cables...check out these pics. Some impressions to follow.

Top Row - UE, Westone Es2
Bottom row - Livewires stock cable, Pure Silver custom Cable
IMG_0148.jpg

ES2 vs UE - look the same don't they?
IMG_0135.jpg

IMG_0137-1.jpg

UE compatible cables
IMG_0147-1.jpg

And the PURE SILVER, Quad Braided
The picture below shows the connectors. The were covered by heat shrink sleeve which I had to trim back myself with a nail clipper so that it would fit into the socket of the UE5c. That's why it looks less than perfect...it is my own handywork. The cable came to me from the DIYer perfectly flush at the connectors though.
IMG_0145.jpg

IMG_0142.jpg

Nice plug!
IMG_0144.jpg

Well enjoy, back to studying!

Mar 1, 2008 at 1:44 AM Post #9 of 25
Hey filipelli

Does this guy make the custom cables for livewires? I would be interested to get one made for my livewires.

Quote:

Originally Posted by filipelli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some members here have asked me to post some pictures of a new custom UE cable I recently acquired. This was a DIY by a real handy guy in Hong Kong, which he painstakingly made with great attention to detail and quality. For those of you out there with interest in UE, ES2 and custom cables...check out these pics. Some impressions to follow.

Top Row - UE, Westone Es2
Bottom row - Livewires stock cable, Pure Silver custom Cable
IMG_0148.jpg

And the PURE SILVER, Quad Braided
The picture below shows the connectors. The were covered by heat shrink sleeve which I had to trim back myself with a nail clipper so that it would fit into the socket of the UE5c. That's why it looks less than perfect...it is my own handywork. The cable came to me from the DIYer perfectly flush at the connectors though.
IMG_0145.jpg

IMG_0142.jpg

Nice plug!
IMG_0144.jpg

Well enjoy, back to studying!

Mar 1, 2008 at 3:00 AM Post #10 of 25
I was watching that auction on eBay...was pretty tempted myself
smily_headphones1.gif

Can you tell any difference in SQ with the silver cable?

Mar 1, 2008 at 7:29 AM Post #11 of 25
filipelli;3878883 said:
IMG_0152.jpg

I was wondering if you can see any crossover network wired into the UE's. Anything like resistors, capacitors, inductors? Or maybe even a printed circuit board. In other words is there anything (component) wired in line to any of the drivers from the the connector, compared to LW's that just has 4 wires from the connector to the drivers?

Just curious,

Thanks

Mar 1, 2008 at 8:10 AM Post #12 of 25
Looks like livewires can really compete with the best. I cannot believe they can offer a comparable product at one third the cost!

Mar 1, 2008 at 1:04 PM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by FeedMeTrance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice work Julie, great review and great pics
smily_headphones1.gif

X2.

Julie, did you have any opinions on the various cables used with the UEs?

For instance did the silver (and I'm assuming it's had 150+hours on it of course) add some more of the analytical nature you like in the livewires to the warmth you like in the UE5cs?

Mar 1, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by FeedMeTrance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice work Julie, great review and great pics
smily_headphones1.gif

X3.

Looks like you work hard, and play hard.
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back