UE18 vs Shure SE535
Feb 21, 2011 at 1:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

yeaman

New Head-Fier
I have a pair of UE18 and they dont fit in my ear good enough, i would like to sell them (when i get enough posts, etc on head-fi) and how do them compare to a pair of SE535 which i plan to buy?

Feb 21, 2011 at 1:49 PM Post #2 of 14
... Wouldn't it be cheaper to remold your UE18?

Feb 21, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #4 of 14

Quote:
Not for me, i figured since im a teen id be better trading for some SE535 and i could use the cash for a car in a few months:D

....you'll lose at least 50% of the price you payed when you sell them used. contact UE asking for a refit, because 1: a custom will sound better than a universal (at least from most accounts of custom users) 2; losing 50% of what you payed is a real waste of money IMO 3)a custom will be more comfortable than a universal if it is properly fitted. 4) from the sound of it, you haven't gotten a good fit so your not getting the sound you should be getting

Feb 21, 2011 at 2:27 PM Post #5 of 14
Well what do they go for around here(used)? I have a Vienna cable (which i havent seen any on here for sale), i didnt have them remolded because the audiologist said that my ears are still growing so instead on them just sitting around my house i might as well just sell them.

Feb 21, 2011 at 2:35 PM Post #6 of 14
from most accounts, a remold is needed once a year if you are still growing, my audiologist told me babies/little tikes who need hearing aides have a remold about eery six months, slowing down around nine years old. and a teen should be fine because though the person may be still growing in height and such, the growth of the ear canals has already slowed down considerably. (ear canals grow for life, but slows down) and most customs makers state that a remold for a child/teen is needed once every year or two. should you ever need a refit, just go to the audiologist and pay for $30 for another impression and send the phones off for a refit. (shouldn't be more than $50, kozeesoundsolutions is willing to do it for $20)

Feb 21, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #8 of 14

Quote:
It $40 (for impressions)where i go, but than its $80 for a remold. How much do they sell for around here with a Vienna cable?

you don't need a complete remold, a refit should be all that is ever needed (according to jh audio) and I'm not sure how much UE charges, but kozeesoundsolutions offered to do it for $20 

Feb 21, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #9 of 14
btw, according to your audiologist, how often would you need a refit?

Feb 21, 2011 at 2:55 PM Post #10 of 14
My audiologist said about every 8 months. When i was a lot younger i would put those crappy white ear buds in my ears and they fell out. So than i bought these, and than recently i put those crappy white ear buds back in my ear, and they stayed in! So i decided im just doing to sell these for a pair of universals (SE535) that fix in your ear like customs.

Feb 21, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #11 of 14
if you can stand crapple earbuds, then I'm positive you did not get a good fit with the UE18. why not make give it one more go and make another trip to the audiologist, send them back for a refit and then see if you want to sell them, almost every user of a custom has noted that they are an improvement over universal IEM's. also, you might end up spending $80 every year alone just for foam tips for the universals if the silicone tips don't fit

Feb 21, 2011 at 3:12 PM Post #13 of 14

Quote:
I dont think its worth it, would a trade for a pair of SE535 and $500 be realistic to ask(when i go to sell them)? Or an even trade for a pair of Ultrasone 8's?

that sounds like a reasonable trade, but I would look at past sales as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back