UE11PRO HISS(DIGITAL DISTORTION) PROBLEM
Nov 20, 2008 at 4:35 PM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That will break your headphones likely if you do not use an amp with the line-out. There is no volume control, only line level signal (top volume) without one.

OUCH! an why did i pulled the trigger on this one.. well i'll just wait for it to arrive and test it on my old QC3's 1st haha.. is there a way to have an volume control without an amp? modding the ipod etc? thanks

Nov 20, 2008 at 4:38 PM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Midnighttown /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OUCH! an why did i pulled the trigger on this one.. well i'll just wait for it to arrive and test it on my old QC3's 1st haha.. is there a way to have an volume control without an amp? modding the ipod etc? thanks

You could use an in-line volume control for attenuation. I don't think the UE11 are going to like that though. Also, if its not hiss but interference your speaking of, there is no guarantee that this is going to solve the problem. I wonder if you could mod it to provide extra shielding around the internal hard drive and battery on the inside.

Nov 20, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #18 of 25
well i'll just save my money and buy an portable amp.. the P-51 is a good cantidate especially with the pre-order discount thanks again for the help!

Nov 20, 2008 at 4:45 PM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Midnighttown /img/forum/go_quote.gif
as for the FM/AM thing maybe my ears are just fooling me i just heard them a couple of times at the same place =)

Can you clarify this a bit? Is this the same physical location? Is there loud AM/FM music playing in that area or are you really getting some kind of interference?

Nov 20, 2008 at 4:52 PM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arjisme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you clarify this a bit? Is this the same physical location? Is there loud AM/FM music playing in that area or are you really getting some kind of interference?

Same Physical location at a mall no there is no loud AM/FM music as i remembered. the place is like a lounge area of a mall maybe i have someone near me playing AM/FM music waiting there

Nov 20, 2008 at 7:50 PM Post #21 of 25
Do you have fillings in your teeth? Maybe your head is picking up the signal!
icon10.gif

Nov 20, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #22 of 25
My 5.5G ipod video AND Macbook both hiss with all my custom IEM. Using a good DAC/amp like Pico or Predator allows me to use the line out dock with no hiss, AND use the amp with my laptop with no hiss. The P-51 still wont help you with your laptop.

If you can't get an amp yet, a cheaper solution is a $10 Shure volume attenuator on the headphone jack, and rotate the volume control only about 3-5 mm, just enough to knock out the hiss without changing the music volume very much. I find if you don't turn the volume control more than this the effect on the sound quality is extremely small. (I did a review on 3 volume attenuators last year, Shure, Koss and Radioshack).

One other thing - my 3G nano and iPhone 3G are less prone to causing hiss from the headphone out than the 5.5G ipod video or 1G Touch were.

And, if you are getting an amp and LOD for your 5.5G iPod, consider the iMod with special LOD and you will get better micro-detail and air and ambience in your music, and soundstage seems to open up to properly reflect the size of the venue the music is being played in. It is a noticeable improvement in those areas, that make it closer to a desktop rig than a portable. Things like timbre and tone and frequency response don't change a lot (i.e. sound signature).

Nov 21, 2008 at 1:28 AM Post #24 of 25
ipod 5.5g headphone out to UE11 will hiss no matter what, unless you use an attenuator in between.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back