UE10 vs Sensas: A second take
Apr 26, 2005 at 5:23 PM Post #31 of 34
To add to Random's comment.....I've heard the UE5c's with and without the notch filter and I did not like the notch filter configuration at all. On my unit, it sounded muddy and flat.

Unfortunately, I had a complicating fit problem at the same time, so I will never know if it was fit, notch filter, or a combination of the two.

Apr 26, 2005 at 5:29 PM Post #32 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by random person
utdeep preferred the UE10 over the UE5c with the notch filter in place -- the filter had the effect of reducing the midrange somewhat. It's unclear what he would have thought of the current UE5c which no longer uses that filter.

That said, my UE5cs are collectors items in that they have the notch filter in place. To my ears, this resulted in a more balanced presentation without the articifical midrange hump. To some degree I think people might prefer that midrange hump because that is fairly characteristics of IEMs of all stripes. Since they were designed for performance rather than mastered music, they all bump the midrange. Over time I think users become habituated to that enhanced midrange, and expect it/prefer it even though it may not match the way the music would sound from speakers or in a live performance.

From what I understand, the UE10Pro has a fairly pronounced and forward midrange, which many might prefer (for vocals especially). Now for me, I had never quite adjusted to forward midrange presentation, which I find rather harsh for things like jazz in particular -- a saxophone's wail becomes a blare if it's overemphasized. So it is all a matter of personal preference, plus one's personal reference point.

To me, the whole presentation on the ue10 is forward, not just the midrange. Although the you get this forward presentation, it is smooth and somewhat relaxed, not at all like the Grados sound. Closer to the hd650/zu sound without the air and closer to the performers.

I find the midrange to be slightly muddy when it comes to the aggressive guitar bands. For mid tempo to slow music, the ue10 are great. That's also how I felt about the hd650/zu. Both of these headphones might even be better than the RS-1 on the slow stuff, it's just that 90% of my music isn't. Sounds like the ES3 would have been the right choice for me.

So instead of one being better than the other, they are just different and will suit different listeners needs based on setup, usage, and taste.

Apr 27, 2005 at 12:00 AM Post #33 of 34
all we need to do is have people meet up and make sure one es3, 2X-S, and ue-10 are at the meeting.

we can shove the tubes enough in our ear to get a decent impression of the sound...and just be done with all this guessing.

it's making me crazy reading all this!

Apr 27, 2005 at 12:23 AM Post #34 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by toaster22
all we need to do is have people meet up and make sure one es3, 2X-S, and ue-10 are at the meeting.

we can shove the tubes enough in our ear to get a decent impression of the sound...and just be done with all this guessing.

it's making me crazy reading all this!

I don't think this will work with the ue products. Even when I try to put it near my ear without twisting, you get the highs or the bass cut off. It just doesn't work the same way as the sensas. On the sensas, the stem moves enough so you can line up the tip with your ear. On the ue's, there is no movement at all. This would definately make the sensas sound better under these conditions. Not a good way to test.

I did read on one of the sites that you can buy a cheap stethoscope, cut off the end so you have two tubes coming out, and then melt them down just enough so they fit on to the stems. This way you can try out all the iems under the same condition. I have no idea how close to the real sound this would provide. I believe I found this idea somewhere on ue's website.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back