UE10 and UE11...which would you choose?
Aug 24, 2007 at 7:21 PM Post #16 of 42
I think UE11s are going to slaughter the UE10s in sales for about 6 months, and it is my presumption that as long as they are both marketed the UE11s will always outsell the 10 for simple fact that they're the newer updated model.

However, there are exceptions such as the DT880s / DT990s where the "lower end" model becomes the more desired model.

I feel that in quite a few years when people are getting the UE12s or what have you, people are going to reflect on what an awesome monitor the UE10s are / were. Sometimes you can't improve, you can only equal or differ.

I am not an 11s owner, but with regards to the highs and the bass....no other monitor or headphone has given me such satisfaction as the UE10s. The bass is tamed like the etymotics ER4P BUT it has a huge impact unlike the ER4P. In other words there is a real presence of bass, and you can even feel the bass viscerally, but it never overwhelms the mix, its amazing!

As far as the highs......these highs are so clear, non shrill and non sibilant.

But most of all I'd like to say how smooth the sound is......you don't feel when listening to the UE10s that the sound is favored in one direction, it feels so flat, so neutral, that you can't call them colored whatsoever.

For those that prefer the most neutral sound (as i do), the 10s will probably always be the most desirable monitor made by UE.

Aug 24, 2007 at 7:27 PM Post #17 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think UE11s are going to slaughter the UE10s in sales for about 6 months, and it is my presumption that as long as they are both marketed the UE11s will always outsell the 10 for simple fact that they're the newer updated model.

However, there are exceptions such as the DT880s / DT990s where the "lower end" model becomes the more desired model.

I feel that in quite a few years when people are getting the UE12s or what have you, people are going to reflect on what an awesome monitor the UE10s are / were. Sometimes you can't improve, you can only equal or differ.

I am not an 11s owner, but with regards to the highs and the bass....no other monitor or headphone has given me such satisfaction as the UE10s. The bass is tamed like the etymotics ER4P BUT it has a huge impact unlike the ER4P. In other words there is a real presence of bass, and you can even feel the bass viscerally, but it never overwhelms the mix, its amazing!

As far as the highs......these highs are so clear, non shrill and non sibilant.

But most of all I'd like to say how smooth the sound is......you don't feel when listening to the UE10s that the sound is favored in one direction, it feels so flat, so neutral, that you can't call them colored whatsoever.

For those that prefer the most neutral sound (as i do), the 10s will probably always be the most desirable monitor made by UE.

i think even when the ue12's are on the horizon the ue10 will still be up there with them,i mean earphones dont get too much worse the older they get,the er4's are a shining example of that and i think the ue10's are gonna be just as popular in 5 or more years from now they are a landmark and one what other companies have tried and failed to better,and in ways the 11's are not better.i prefer my se530 to the ue10's based on excitement in the mids and bass so if i was to choose between the 10's and 11's it would be 11's for the extra warmth and punch

Aug 24, 2007 at 7:34 PM Post #18 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think even when the ue12's are on the horizon the ue10 will still be up there with them,i mean earphones dont get too much worse the older they get,the er4's are a shining example of that and i think the ue10's are gonna be just as popular in 5 or more years from now they are a landmark and one what other companies have tried and failed to better,and in ways the 11's are not better.i prefer my se530 to the ue10's based on excitement in the mids and bass so if i was to choose between the 10's and 11's it would be 11's for the extra warmth and punch

So you own a UE10?

Aug 24, 2007 at 8:14 PM Post #19 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So you own a UE10?

yeh i do,and shure se530 and many other cheaper models,i dont own the ue11but i go from what i hear and ive heard its very similar to se530 and the 530 are punchier and warmer than my ue10

Aug 24, 2007 at 8:21 PM Post #20 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeh i do,and shure se530 and many other cheaper models,i dont own the ue11but i go from what i hear and ive heard its very similar to se530 and the 530 are punchier and warmer than my ue10

You own the UE10 and prefer the Shure E500?

Aug 24, 2007 at 8:31 PM Post #21 of 42
Quote:

I think he probably has the UE Triple.fi, not the UE-10 Pro custom.

Aug 25, 2007 at 10:44 PM Post #23 of 42
Quote:

I own UE10 and Shure E500, and I think I do pick up Shure E500 more often than UE10 now. I think the mid on the Shure E500 is more exciting than UE10.

So my questions is that does how is the UE11 mid compared to UE10?

Right now, I think I will prefer UE11 if the mid is similar to that of Shure E500.

Aug 26, 2007 at 2:47 AM Post #26 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by chowk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A question for those who've owned E500s and UE10 / UE11s:

I use the small grey flex sleeves. Do UE customs go much deeper into your ear canal than the grey flex sleeves? Thanks

Actually no, they don't go in any deeper really, but they seal better and block out much more sound than my experience with the shures E530s.

I actually think the etymotics ER4P go in far deeper than my UE10s but they don't block out as much sound as the UE10s.

Aug 26, 2007 at 3:00 AM Post #27 of 42
Just as an example, I can't lie on the sides of my head with the 10s as the tips will touch my inner earbone.

Aug 26, 2007 at 3:30 AM Post #29 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigburger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
UE11 becasue it the new "in" thing and you if you get the UE10, you will constantly be wondering what the UE11 sounds like.

Plus if you got UE10, it is very likely you do not need to redo your ear impression, and therefore, you can simply click order and then in a couple of weeks you will have your UE11. Must resist now.....

Aug 26, 2007 at 3:46 AM Post #30 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by solvexyz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own UE10 and Shure E500, and I think I do pick up Shure E500 more often than UE10 now. I think the mid on the Shure E500 is more exciting than UE10.

So my questions is that does how is the UE11 mid compared to UE10?

Right now, I think I will prefer UE11 if the mid is similar to that of Shure E500.

i guess thats what makes a horse race. I personally can't imagine prefer the Shure E500s to the UE10s for any style of music. The day I received my UE10s, I gave my 2 month old Shure E500s to my best friend for 20 dollars, it made me sad just to look at them becuase I spent so much on something I really disliked. I feel like the Shure E500s are a picture of the sound under water, totally suffocating. In fact when I first bought the E500s I went back to the store thinking I had a defective pair and exchanged them but to my surprise that's really what they sound like.
frown.gif

I feel if the UE10s were distinctly warmer they may suffocate as well, so I'm glad that people have the option to choose the 10s instead of the 11s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back