UE TripleFi 10 or Etymotic ER-4P for Classical/Jazz
Dec 2, 2011 at 8:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

shinew

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I would like to get some opinions specifically from users who've compared the TripleFi 10 & ER-4 headphones for classical & jazz(vocal & instrumental).

I've been a ER-4P user for more than 10 years(one of the tip broke off a year ago, again, so I can't compare them side by side). Since I'm a musician myself, I'm very sensitive to sound accuracy, especially for classical instrumental music, and that's what I care about in an IEM the most. After few days of use, I've been happy with the TF10, I have a slight impression that the sound stage is slightly wider on the TF10 but the mid-range on the er-4 had more presence and was more expressive, but I'm not completely sure.

So have anyone done similar comparison between the 2 IEMs for classical & jazz specifically? It'll be used w/o an amp from the latest gen iPod Nano or iPhone. Please share your opinions if you have experience in those. thanks!

Dec 2, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #2 of 41
In my experience, the etys sounds more accurate to the true recording adding little to no colouration while TF10s are quite coloured. That said, Tf10s are a lot more fun to listen to while the Etys are a bit emotionless and dead sounding. 

Dec 2, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #3 of 41

Quote:
In my experience, the etys sounds more accurate to the true recording adding little to no colouration while TF10s are quite coloured. That said, Tf10s are a lot more fun to listen to while the Etys are a bit emotionless and dead sounding. 

+100%

The TF10's are much fuller sounding and colored but colored in a way that resembles what a headphone would sound like...which is a good thing.  While Etys have some great traits and I adore them with acoustic music, their lean sound and inability to handle complex music has steered me clear of them.

Dec 3, 2011 at 11:14 AM Post #4 of 41
thanks for the feedback. Seems like I should probably still get the ER-4 fixed.

An OT note, despite I've generally been very impressed with ER-4's sound and it has always been one of my favorites over the years, the build quality(the tip of the earphone) is really not impressive. It has broken off several times already w/o a lot of use and the plastic on the earphones are just terribly brittle in the winter.

Dec 3, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #6 of 41

Quote:
Can I vote for neither?

Which one would that be?
Although it wouldn't be useful for me, unless it's under $100, which is the price that would cost me to get ER-4 fixed and the cost of the TripleFi 10. I'm currently not interested in getting another more expensive IEM.

Feel free to vote your preferred one between the 2 for classical & jazz even if neither one is your favorite.

Dec 3, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #7 of 41

Quote:

that wouldn't be useful for me, unless it's under $100, which is the price that would cost me to get ER-4 fixed and the cost of the TripleFi 10. I'm currently not interested in getting another more expensive IEM.

Feel free to vote your preferred one between the 2 for classical & jazz even if neither one is your favorite.

I still say neither. The UE10s sounded quite a bit better to my ears, but the lack of comfort (pain actually) made them quite useless. And the ER-4Ps were just treble happy (with AWOL bass)....comfort was ok, but I just couldn't get over the way they sounded.

FWIW, I did own both. Operative word..."did".
wink.gif

Dec 4, 2011 at 1:38 PM Post #8 of 41

Quote:
I still say neither. The UE10s sounded quite a bit better to my ears, but the lack of comfort (pain actually) made them quite useless. And the ER-4Ps were just treble happy (with AWOL bass)....comfort was ok, but I just couldn't get over the way they sounded.

FWIW, I did own both. Operative word..."did".
wink.gif

I actually find the ER-4 extremely accurate in reproducing instrumental sounds(especially 4S, but I don't use amp much anymore). The UE10 is decent, but it's little boomy for some mid-low range yet it's lacking in substance(in the mids) at the same time. Very strange... It is sometimes pleasing for music that does not require such tonal accuracy though.

Although I listen to many genres, I can't really evaluate the accuracy of the headphones from other type of music such as rock, metal, pop, etc...

Dec 4, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #9 of 41
I find TF10 the best universal I have ever heard as far as trying to find a balance between fun and accuracy...or having both.  The bass and midrange are inarguably better than rival IEM W3. 

Dec 4, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #10 of 41
You are spot on with your assessment.

Having owned both TF10 and ER4p for over a year, I completely agree with you. The TF10 is very lacking in substance, or as I'd like to call it, texture. It's like drinking juice instead of eating the real fruit - the flavor is enhanced and sweetened, but at the same time it's nothing more than drinking water with a ton of sugar in them.These sound wildly different and I sometimes find it hard to switch from one to another, for example after using the TF10 for a day or two, I'd find ER4 very lacking in bass and fun. 

If I had to pick, I'd say ER4. Although if you were able to grab a pair of $95 TF10, I'd strongly encourage you to keep it...

Quote:
I actually find the ER-4 extremely accurate in reproducing instrumental sounds(especially 4S, but I don't use amp much anymore). The UE10 is decent, but it's little boomy for some mid-low range yet it's lacking in substance(in the mids) at the same time. Very strange... It is sometimes pleasing for music that does not require such tonal accuracy though.

Although I listen to many genres, I can't really evaluate the accuracy of the headphones from other type of music such as rock, metal, pop, etc...

Dec 4, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #11 of 41

Quote:
I find TF10 the best universal I have ever heard as far as trying to find a balance between fun and accuracy...or having both.  The bass and midrange are inarguably better than rival IEM W3. 

I really liked the sound of the TF10, but the pain of the massive IEMs was just too much for me for more than 20 minutes (and I tried every ear tip there was). The ER-4P/S were too far from "real" sounding for me.

Dec 4, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #15 of 41

Quote:
thanks for the feedback. Seems like I should probably still get the ER-4 fixed.

An OT note, despite I've generally been very impressed with ER-4's sound and it has always been one of my favorites over the years, the build quality(the tip of the earphone) is really not impressive. It has broken off several times already w/o a lot of use and the plastic on the earphones are just terribly brittle in the winter.

I use Klipsch tips with my Etys.  This allows for deeper insertion which improves bass and keeps them warm in cold weather.

http://www.klipsch.com/parts

Users who are viewing this thread

Back