UE triple.fi durability?
Nov 19, 2008 at 6:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Joelc87

100+ Head-Fier
Ok so we all know then Triple.fi's are durable and their cables can be replaced so they'll basically last forever right? Well my question here is how durable are they electronically? I have several extremely bass heavy songs and I'm although my UE's are well under warranty I'm a bit concerned with blowing them out? Is this even possible with armature drivers or would you blow your eardrums to pieces long before? I just want to make sure I'm not damaging my Triple.fi's because I use them almost constantly. Of all the earphones I've used I'm definitely addicted to these and would hate to lose them.

Nov 19, 2008 at 8:33 PM Post #2 of 8
you would likely damage your ears before the earphones but ofcourse the louder you play your music the more likely your going to shorten the life of the drivers, but i shouldnt worry the drivers should last plenty long aslong as you dont blast them too loud when distortion is clear in the music.

distortion is the silent killer for earphones and will really hurt your drivers. so blast them all you like but beware that distortion can creep in and hurt you and your earphones.

Nov 20, 2008 at 12:35 AM Post #3 of 8
Agreed with Jinx that you should worry about your hearing before any damage to the earphone. You will be deaf long before the earphone is damaged by excessive volume.

Nov 20, 2008 at 8:24 PM Post #5 of 8
Has anyone ever blown their IEM's before? I'd be interested to see what it takes so I never ever go anywhere close to that. I assume that they can handle way more than is the maximum output of my iPod which is way more than my ears can handle so it shouldn't be much of an issue. i just kinda want some opinions to see if anyone has ever experienced any issues with blown IEM's. My guess is that armature drivers are a lot more durable than dynamic drivers, but that's just a guess. I honestly have no idea. Any further comments would be appreciated.

Nov 20, 2008 at 9:12 PM Post #6 of 8
id say a single armature vs a single dynamic driver is no contest, the armature would blow before the dynamic driver with lots of bass.

however one of the qualities of multi driver IEM's is the ability to be blasted with minimal distortion all because the frequencies are split up therfor the drivers are not working as hard. so multi armatures vs single dynamic would be a little different, the armatures will play on into serious volumes and the single dynamic may start clipping at high volumes.

this is not the case for all dynamics ofcourse as its all about build quality and materials used but theory would tell us multi drivers will outblast single drivers based on the fact a single driver has a harder job to do.

edit: this is not fact, this is just based on the theory of speakers. they simply last longer the less difficult the job is.

Nov 20, 2008 at 9:20 PM Post #7 of 8
jinx while your theory makes sense there are other factors you are not taking into effect. Most important being build quality. Frankly, the headphone which is built more sturdy and has been built thoroughly will be the one that lasts longer. Like comparing a ferrari to a amg mercedes. The ferrari may be quicker but which one will be going down the road longer? I think we know the answer to this question.

Nov 20, 2008 at 9:25 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
jinx while your theory makes sense there are other factors you are not taking into effect. Most important being build quality. Frankly, the headphone which is built more sturdy and has been built thoroughly will be the one that lasts longer. Like comparing a ferrari to a amg mercedes. The ferrari may be quicker but which one will be going down the road longer? I think we know the answer to this question.

i did take build quality into account. what i was saying is going by common sense multi drivers ''should'' last longer than a single driver.

i did say its all about that single driver's build and materials tho. take into account we are talking about the drivers not the actual headphone build.

and no i dont know what you think the answer is?? a ferrari f430 is built to a very high spec ofcourse. the AMG may be more luxurious...but this just means theres more to go wrong...
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back