UE TF10 - rattling in one monitor
Nov 14, 2010 at 11:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

MichaelOH

100+ Head-Fier

Hello all,

Has anyone ever experienced this? Especially in more bass oriented music, the left ear monitor will rattle, as if there is something loose inside.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Michael

Nov 14, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #2 of 29
I don't know if it's the same thing, but I sometimes get a little rattling sound with bassy music/EQ that I think is air vibrating past the silicon tips. Adjusting their fit seems to fix it, for a while. I switched to the medium sized tips because I think it was worse with the biggest ones.

Nov 14, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #3 of 29

flip the cable and listen for it on the right driver. if its still happening on the left, then you may have a damaged armature.

Quote:

Hello all,

Has anyone ever experienced this? Especially in more bass oriented music, the left ear monitor will rattle, as if there is something loose inside.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Michael

Nov 14, 2010 at 6:31 PM Post #4 of 29
The Triple.Fi-10 is known (amongst Chinese audiophiles) to fail with bass-heavy music. The dual woofer-mid BA's will shake so much that the tiny wires connecting them will break one day. Your BA's are probably shaking themselves loose. Get them fixed if they're still in warranty. If not, good luck.

Nov 15, 2010 at 11:50 PM Post #5 of 29
Hi Folks,

Thanks for the replies.

I'm using a pair of Lune cables with the triple.fi's right now.  I'm using the reverse-mod, and I've just switched the pin connectors so that the red/blue dots are facing outwards instead of inwards.

Not only has this got rid of the rattling, but it has also seemed to give the triple.fi's a new lease on life.  They sound like a new pair of headphones.

Am I crazy? The bass is tight, the soundstage is wide...perhaps this is what the Lune's have been supposed to be doing this whole time?

Nov 16, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #6 of 29
No not crazy, if you did the reverse-mod on the triple's, you will need to reverse the pins as well to keep the speakers in phase.  So this could explain why your Luna cable/triple's sounds much better or/and maybe it solved your original issue.

Nov 16, 2010 at 10:59 AM Post #7 of 29
So...this morning while changing some tips, the top part of the casing came off, along with the tip.  Not sure, but the casing coming loose was probably the culprit that caused the rattling sound.

Unfortunately, I bought these from a second-party seller, so I'm sure I'm pretty screwed as far as warranty goes.

However, the piece seems to be easily re-attachable, and maybe with a little crazy glue, I'll be fine.

Nov 16, 2010 at 12:17 PM Post #8 of 29
Have you tried contacting them? I recently sold my replacement TF10 to someone in Cali. I'd expect them to say something if they had trouble with their IEM.
Maybe not all sellers are the same, but it sure doesnt hurt to touch base with them. For all you know, they could still have the original purchase receipt with a valid warranty
wink.gif

Quote:
So...this morning while changing some tips, the top part of the casing came off, along with the tip.  Not sure, but the casing coming loose was probably the culprit that caused the rattling sound.

Unfortunately, I bought these from a second-party seller, so I'm sure I'm pretty screwed as far as warranty goes.

However, the piece seems to be easily re-attachable, and maybe with a little crazy glue, I'll be fine.

Nov 16, 2010 at 12:26 PM Post #10 of 29
I have had all the same experiences you just mentioned, ive had that rattling, but a readjustment always does the trick.

Also my casing on one of them came apart, i duct taped it up, good to go. Pondering whether or not to send it back.  It still functions great.

Nov 16, 2010 at 12:37 PM Post #11 of 29
If it's under warranty, I would! Logitech has provided great service for me; they even paid for round shipping (although I'm not sure if their practices are different outside of the US).
If you go through with it, ask them if they can do a cross-ship. What they'll do is they send out the replacement(brand new BTW) as soon as you confirm to them you dropped the package off to the carrier (via tracking #)

Quote:
I have had all the same experiences you just mentioned, ive had that rattling, but a readjustment always does the trick.

Also my casing on one of them came apart, i duct taped it up, good to go. Pondering whether or not to send it back.  It still functions great.

Nov 17, 2010 at 6:54 PM Post #13 of 29
^ probably a few unlucky owners... every product might have some pitfall

Nov 28, 2010 at 11:51 PM Post #15 of 29
Hi Folks,

Just an update on this situation.

I tried to crazy glue them, everything...but to no avail.  I was reticent to send them back to Logitech, as I had heard some horror stories.  However, I did have the original receipt, and these were still under warranty, so I called up Logitech and got an RMA.

Put them in the mail, and crossed my fingers.

I was told that cross-shipping wouldn't be an issue, and that as soon as they saw the package was marked as "in transit" by UPS, they would mail out a brand new set of triple.fi's in 2-3 days.

After a few days, and a few phone calls to Logitech, I was told that these were out of stock, and that they were unable to tell me when I was to receive the new pair, but that my case had been flagged as high priority.

The next day....there they were on my doorstep!

While dealing with Logitech's customer service was a bit frustrating at times (every person I spoke to seemed to not know what to do), I will say that they did their very best to rectify the situation!

So, there ya go....my ears are happy again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back