UE Superfi pro clear cable turn Green!
Feb 1, 2010 at 10:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

michaelv20850

Head-Fier
Hi
I have UE Super fi pro. The cable jacket is clear. I see the cable inside clear jacket near the earphone turning green! Does it happen to you? I believe that UE is well-known but how can it happen to me? Is there anyway to fix it? otherwise i need to order another pair of replacement cable.

I probably go with another brand.

thanks.

Feb 1, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that is called oxidation.

It's due to poor cable design. You might as well get it replaced soon. My UE cable does the same thing. I am on my third cable, so far it's actually lasted longer than the previous two.

Feb 1, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #5 of 15
Has anyone seen evidence of this on anything but transparently coated wires e.g. when stripping the ends of old wiring?
I can't say I have.
Is it an oxide or some other copper compound/salt like verdigris that are known to be green? Does sweat, CO2 or outgassing from the insulation add to this and does it have any effect on the audio properties of the wire?

Feb 2, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Young Spade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've read that it doesn't impact the SQ of the wire but I could be wrong.

When I got a new cable (could be because of different materiel) the SQ did change for the better.

Feb 2, 2010 at 12:11 AM Post #8 of 15
This is occurs on the surface of the wire exposed to air, it doesnt impact conductivity in any way so SQ is not effected. Ive stripped black plastic coated wires, and the wires on the inside had turned green...so oxidation could also occur on non-clear wires as well (but you would never know).

Feb 2, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #9 of 15
What nobb said is correct. You can never tell if your black/grey/whatever coloured cables have oxidised but it will only be the very outside layer. Since the oxidised metal is coating the rest of the cable, oxygen cannot get to the inside easily. It would take decades (or maybe even centuries?) for the cable to deteriorate where sound quality is impacted negatively by a significant margin. Although its rather unsightly with clear cables unfortunately
frown.gif
. Perhaps find a custom black cable? :p

Feb 2, 2010 at 12:26 AM Post #10 of 15
Have it happen on all 3 of my UE cables. Totally common.

Feb 2, 2010 at 1:25 AM Post #11 of 15
It's caused by corrosion from the salts in your bodily fluids. I had an early pair of Sony IEMs get so corroded I had to regularly wipe off the Cu chlorides which leached out of the housing seam. My UE Super.Fi 5 clear cable has a nice green patina on it around the memory wires.

For the most part, it won't cause any noticeable audio degradation until it fails. The corroded portion won't have as much fatigue life as the non-corroded part, meaning you'll put them on your ears one day and a driver won't be working.

Mar 16, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #13 of 15
Thank you all for your valuable input.
I was away for a while so i couldn't get online.

Anyway, where can i order black wire ? and which type and model?

thanks very much.

Mar 18, 2010 at 4:12 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got my black cables from Westone: Elite Series Monitor Replacement Cables | Westone

If I were to do it again I might get the black ones from UE instead, as I like the longer memory wire and the more simple clear tubing for the slider (not sure if they still do this but my clear UE custom cables were like this).

Does ES cable fit well with UE Super 5 Pro? The cable looks more solid than UE cable though.

thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back