UE superfi 5 pro's terrible quality
Jul 20, 2008 at 8:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

callanish

100+ Head-Fier
My ears were getting irritated by the standard over the ear's phone fit, so I wanted to do the reverse and have them just hang, so I pulled the first phone out of the wire and that came out fine. The second one was snug and I can't believe this, but it pulled out the connection and the two wires inside the UE. Surely they can't be this badly built. I've only owned them since Feb and It's not like I was pulling that hard. I'm under warranty, so I'm hoping that Ultimate Ears will repair or replace these because I can't be the only one that's done the reverse fit and this happened to them.

Anyone gone through this experience. I've sent an RMA request and waiting to hear from them, but I'm really pissed that a $200 pair of phones can't even handle standard wires getting removed from them. The thing that will concern me is if they try to tell me they won't cover them because that's negligence, then I'll go ape crap.
mad.gif

Jul 20, 2008 at 9:02 AM Post #2 of 18
First of all, UE's customer service is pretty good, so I imagine they'll give you your replacement.

Next, $200 earphone? Who gouged you for that amount, exactly?

Third, wearing them straight down probably won't work unless you jam them very far up your ear. UE universals rely on the memory wire over the ear to stay in place.

Jul 20, 2008 at 9:10 AM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First of all, UE's customer service is pretty good, so I imagine they'll give you your replacement.

Well, that's good to know because it's the first time I've had to deal with them.

Quote:

Next, $200 earphone? Who gouged you for that amount, exactly?

Ehhhhmm, Dell actually. I know I got ripped off, but I got them when I got my laptop as an all in one sort of thing and I kind of knew I was overpaying for them.

Quote:

Third, wearing them straight down probably won't work unless you jam them very far up your ear. UE universals rely on the memory wire over the ear to stay in place.

Actually I tried them that way even though the wires were crossed in the reverse and found them comfortable. It was just the wires being crossed were irritating me and thought I could easily remove them from the phones. I guess I was wrong. I hope UE comes through for me because I'd rather have crossed wires again than go through another severed connection.

Thanks for the input

Jul 20, 2008 at 12:09 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by callanish /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...so I wanted to do the reverse and have them just hang, so I pulled the first phone out of the wire and that came out fine. The second one was snug and I can't believe this, but it pulled out the connection and the two wires inside the UE. Surely they can't be this badly built. I've only owned them since Feb and It's not like I was pulling that hard. I'm under warranty, so I'm hoping that Ultimate Ears will repair or replace these because I can't be the only one that's done the reverse fit and this happened to them.

Anyone gone through this experience..

I had that part break off on my SF5s while just putting them on. I had flipped them back and forth a few times before seeking better fit & tip combos so maybe that contributed to it. The thin, brittle plastic housing suffers too much torque from where the wire connects regardless if it was the flipping or not that started the failure. Like yours, I had only been using them regularly for a short while.

Not to beat a dead horse, but they do not have good customer service, they have barely adequate customer service. On the upside, since they know they have failures like this routinely with their products, they will swap just about anything for a brand new set. It took 25 days from the time I first contacted UE until I had a new set in hand so don't be in a rush. I sold those off, returned my triple.fi I ordered right before the SF5 broke, and am quite happy with my SA6 I replaced my UE stuff with.

UE got the sound of their products and their marketing right, now if they can just get everything else they might have something
wink.gif

Jul 22, 2008 at 1:08 AM Post #6 of 18
wow, i had a pair purchased in february that broke about 2 months ago just the same way yours did. anyways, UE had no problem replacing them, i ended up recieving a whole new set, so now it'll just be a matter of waiting for them :p

Jul 22, 2008 at 1:17 AM Post #7 of 18
I've had my superfi 5s for 3 years. And they've caused me pain after 15 minutes of wearing. My cable crapped out four times, but all four times they have replaced my cable for free. Once the driver housing broke and they sent me a brand new pair in box for free. A week ago the housing broke again(where it connects to the cable plug), since my warranty is out I bought myself a pair of Freq Shows. Very excited, hopefully no more pain and better sound!

I've also had the Triple Fis for a while, I loved the sound, but couldn't justify spending so much money on something that wasn't comfortable, so I sold it. I hope the FreqShows will be awesome since I will be spending a little over $400 bucks on them.

Jul 22, 2008 at 1:51 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by channum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not to beat a dead horse, but they do not have good customer service

From my experience UE has easily the best customer service in the entire audio industry (and any other industry as well). They have done everything I could have ever asked of them and then some in an extremely friendly and timely manner. 10/10.

Jul 22, 2008 at 2:28 AM Post #9 of 18
all the stories of UE's breaking scared me almost out of buying the super.fi's - but i did because people said the customer service was so good. my super.fi's i guess were built like tanks - they lasted without any signs of wear and tear for just over a year of good usage, and i sold them with confidence.

but then the stories like this almost scared me from picking up the triple.fi's - but their sound signature from all my reading just sounded perfect for me. and luckily i had a great experience with the supers so i figured it was good.

of course more people log on to complain about issues rather than praise things so taht explains some of it.

but it does seem they could use better QC in china where they make these
smily_headphones1.gif
specifically for that black plastic driver housing where everybody that complains complains about

Jul 22, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by callanish /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...The second one was snug and I can't believe this, but it pulled out the connection and the two wires inside the UE. Surely they can't be this badly built. I've only owned them since Feb and It's not like I was pulling that hard. I'm under warranty, so I'm hoping that Ultimate Ears will repair or replace these because I can't be the only one that's done the reverse fit and this happened to them.

Anyone gone through this experience...

Happened to me too, back when I owned super.fi 5 Pros (sometime last year? the year before?), the very first time I tried to remove the wire. As I recall, there was some issue with the way one of the connector jacks had been glued to the housing.

Ultimate Ears made no problem of replacing the super.fis at the time (although this was during a lengthy backorder phase for the black ones, so I ended up -- voluntarily -- waiting forever for them to be back in stock. I could've gotten a different color immediately, but I declined). As others have been saying, I doubt you'll have to argue for a replacement.

My second set was nice 'n sturdy, for what it's worth.

Jul 22, 2008 at 7:19 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Happened to me too, back when I owned super.fi 5 Pros (sometime last year? the year before?), the very first time I tried to remove the wire. As I recall, there was some issue with the way one of the connector jacks had been glued to the housing.

Ultimate Ears made no problem of replacing the super.fis at the time (although this was during a lengthy backorder phase for the black ones, so I ended up -- voluntarily -- waiting forever for them to be back in stock. I could've gotten a different color immediately, but I declined). As others have been saying, I doubt you'll have to argue for a replacement.

My second set was nice 'n sturdy, for what it's worth.

Thanks for that reassurance and thanks to all that replied. I'm at the point where I've registered my problem with Ultimate ears, received an e-mail back asking for bits of information, sent that back; now I'm just waiting for an official RMA. I guess I just didn't expect them to be that vulnerable. Makes me concerned about buying aftermarket wires like the black ones from earphone solutions to match the black pro's. If you could have seen my face when I tried to remove the wire and the connection came out with it along with the wires; it was priceless. shocked and stunned if you need a visual
biggrin.gif

Jul 22, 2008 at 8:08 AM Post #12 of 18
i'm thinking of getting the comply foam tips for my sf5p's. I hear they solve many fit and comfort issues... and with the whole cable thing, I noticed there is a very snug fit where my cable meets the monitors so i hav not even removed it. Interesting tho...

Jul 22, 2008 at 8:17 AM Post #13 of 18
mrdeadfolx you seem to be just one step ahead of me in your portable rig!
Love the sound of triple fi but not comfortable and not great aesthetically when in the ear!
Are the 11's worth the extra cash?
Worrie just how much will cost in the uk!

Jul 25, 2008 at 5:50 AM Post #14 of 18
My first pair of Super.Fi Pro 5's broke. I emailed UE, and I was dealt with in a quick professional manner. I was sent a new version 2 pair (I had the v1 previously) and I would do it again.

I don't think it's the earphone that is designed to be low-quality, I think it's the plastics used. When injection-moulding plastics, you have to be careful not to allow cleaves to form, and much care must be used to ensure uniform injection. It seems as though it's a manufacturing problem more than anything else. I can imagine there could be a bad batch every so often, or even a handfull of bad products. Statisticly it's probably.

I'm planning on buying some customs in a few months. (I've got to wait until christmas to buy my presents. heh)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back