UE Super.fi 5 pro vs. Shure e4c based on three criteria
Nov 23, 2005 at 5:35 PM Post #16 of 28
I'd go E4. What I read on this forum the Super.fis seem to synergise better with 4G iPod, but my take on it is that sooner or later you'll probably change the iPod for something with better SQ (why have top notch cans and so so source???). I don't own the Super.fis nor have heard them so my opinion on them is purely based on this forum. I do however own the UM2 (besides the E4) and I've read a lot on this forum the the Sf5pros have even more bass, less treble, and less detail than the UM2s. Since the E4s clearly beat the UM2s in mids, treble and detail (IMHO of course) I can imagine that the Sf5pro will not match your bill. Also from a isolation point of view general opinion is that E4 (and UM2 for that matter) isolate better than the Sf5pros, mostly because they go slightly deeper in the ear (the E4s that is).

Maybe the UM2s wouldn't be too bad for you either. You'd sacrifice some detail and voices will sparkle a tad less than on the E4, but you'll gain a good amount of bass performance and somewhat better soundstaging. E4 bass can be pretty good, but needs to be driven by at least an adequate source (which <5G iPod doesn't really seem to be). UM2s however need some tuning to get the best out of them and are very sensitive and as such pick up amp noise very easily. Best SQ for your likes would probably be E4 with a reasonable amp (I'm eyeballing the Z-audio mu, wallet is still protesting, but how long... ahhh ...).

As to your final point, I find the E4s very well build, but only time can tell the true story. The Sf5pro do have the advantage of replaceable wires, but on the downside, they really seem to need them.

Nov 23, 2005 at 6:33 PM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmmmmm
If you are asking which we suggest, then why did you vote in your own poll?
If you voted for one, then it's probably what you want, so just get it.

Ha! busted!

Nov 23, 2005 at 11:17 PM Post #19 of 28
Why did I vote in my own poll?

Cause that's the way I'm leaning, and I don't think a politician limits himself from voting in an election.
icon10.gif

As to my dismissiveness towards the member of the trade that voted:

I really didn't appreciate him coming in, voting, and not saying a word. As a retail saleperson I think he has the responsibility to tell me exactly what is better about his product than the other choice. He only sells the Shures, and I'd like to know why. On the other hand, the head-fi community is not selling anything, and is only stating their opinion on the matter, their personal preference. They have no profit to make by doing so, and in my opinion don't even have the responsibility of leaving an argument for why they voted for what.

Is the Super.fi really going to be a "wall of sound" as mentioned, or even resemble something like it? If so than I'm definitely relooking at the Shures, or something else. Also, how far do the Super.fi stick out in-ear?

I apologize if you were offended by my rock and roll, don't care about internet manners, attitude. Hehe.

Nov 23, 2005 at 11:25 PM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeerkaas
what's your source?

it thought it was an ipod but then i read your post again and found out that you didn't mentioned it at all.

if you have an good eq on your source then i would recommend the e4's

if you have an ipod, i would recommend the superfi's

also take a look at this thread

The advantages and disadvantages of both IEM's are summed up very nicely

in the end it all comes down to your own taste

Wow, that thread was really helpful actually.

Nov 23, 2005 at 11:45 PM Post #23 of 28
Well, I didn't vote because I haven't tried the UE Superfi's yet. However, my combo right now is the e4c+5g ipod 30G. At first I thought the bass from the "flat" eq was somewhat lacking with this combo. I was using the yellow foamies (yellow foamies worked great with other mp3 players such as HD5 and Vaio Pocket). However, after i tried the soft gray sleeves on the e4c with ipod on flat eq, I'm getting quite satisfying bass (those sleeves made very noticeable difference). Honestly I didn't like the soft sleeves when I was using HD5, but somehow they sound ok on the ipod
confused.gif
. Since you have the 4G iPod, and if you want some good bass, e4c probably wont do it. I used to own the 4G iPod, but back then I only had the er4p (unamped, didn't like it at all).

Nov 24, 2005 at 6:15 AM Post #24 of 28
Bump. This whole ordeal has made me stop looking at the UE's as much as I was, and now I'm really just on the fence again, thanks Head-fi! Haha. Oh well, the research continues.

Nov 24, 2005 at 4:11 PM Post #27 of 28
This was an interesting poll and almost seems to require several answers, depending on what is important to you
Quote:

Originally Posted by x1lexure
[size=xx-small]1. Overall sound quality unamped. I'll be using these out of a 4G iPod and really would like a very clear and powerful sound. [/size]

Super.fi or as stated, get a 5G/e4 Quote:

[size=xx-small]So, Bass is important, [/size]

Super.fi or amp the e4 with a Hornet
Quote:

[size=xx-small]but even more important is detail, in terms of seperation of instruments, and being able to define an instrument clearly. [/size]

e4 wins
Quote:

[size=xx-small]2. Isolation. What has the best ability to isolate me from the rest of the world? I don't like those guys.[/size]

e4 wins
Quote:

[size=xx-small]3. Durability. In your opinion which is going to last the longest in normal to somewhat heavy use.[/size]

e4 wins (good support)
...just MHO

Nov 26, 2005 at 1:24 AM Post #28 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevesurf
This was an interesting poll and almost seems to require several answers, depending on what is important to you
Super.fi or as stated, get a 5G/e4Super.fi or amp the e4 with a Hornet
e4 wins
e4 wins
e4 wins (good support)
...just MHO

The last two are pretty close...

UE has 2 year warranty

the UE has pretty decent isolation with the 2 flange tips or really good with the sponge tips

although I agree with your statements... if you take out all those other conditions like upgrading source and getting amp

overall I would say the superfi5pro wins in terms of degree. The mids and high are pretty decent and better then e3c with some bass EQ. The ipod is almost like lowering the bass and on treble boost it sounds better then e3c with bass boost on. So i would say e4c is better for detail and seperation, but because of the other conditions superfi5pro takes my vote.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back